2009 - 2014 F-150

Matinee performance (of my mods anyway)...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome looking truck Desert Dawg!

Originally Posted by FX4life
Dawg, how is the truxedo? that was the tonneau I was considering for mine since the new bak roll-x has a rather steep price tag!

I wondered about the truxedo rails, they appear to stick out into the bed pretty far.. More so that the rails on my 2005's extang RT.
Don't mean to speak for Dawg, but thought I would weigh in on this. I'm on my second Truxedo Lo Pro and I love it! The rails do stick out into the bed a bit, but it isn't terrible...couple inches at most. It's worth it to get the lo pro look, though. It is not 100% water tight. It leaks a bit in a car wash, or REALLY heavy rains, but it's close enough for my purposes.

The one on my '05 F150 still looks good and works great after 6+ years...I see it regularly as the guy that bought it is a friend.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw

Don't mean to speak for Dawg, but thought I would weigh in on this. I'm on my second Truxedo Lo Pro and I love it! The rails do stick out into the bed a bit, but it isn't terrible...couple inches at most. It's worth it to get the lo pro look, though. It is not 100% water tight. It leaks a bit in a car wash, or REALLY heavy rains, but it's close enough for my purposes.

The one on my '05 F150 still looks good and works great after 6+ years...I see it regularly as the guy that bought it is a friend.
I hear ya, my extang still looks brand new after many years of service! The aerospace 303 cleaner is really top notch stuff.. I basically just wanted another simple soft tonneau because they are inexpensive, serve the purpose of covering the bed nicely, and are quickly out of the way when the whole bed is needed. I love the bak flip, but can't stand that it blocks the rear window in order to use the whole bed..

Old 04-11-2012, 03:19 PM

Dawg, how is the truxedo? that was the tonneau I was considering for mine since the new bak roll-x has a rather steep price tag!

I wondered about the truxedo rails, they appear to stick out into the bed pretty far. More so that the rails on my 2005's extang RT.
So far, I am liking it. This is my first "soft" tonneau cover as I have used either the Pace Edwards Jackrabbit roll up aluminum or BakFlip solid covers in the past, so I was a little apprehensive about having a soft cover but like you I wanted to not spend so much.

I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised on the quality and as well as the fit. So far, no leaks through car washes yet. My other concern was lifting of the cover that you see on some soft tonneau covers while driving at higher speeds, but I keep mine pretty taut and it seems to be doing fine.

I measured the rail inside the bed for you and it does stick past the inner wall about 2 inches. I don't recall how much the other systems' rails stuck out, but this doesn't seem too bad to me.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:27 PM
You have inspired me not only for when i can get my new 150. But have also made my wallet run in fear. This truck looks amazing!

Old 04-11-2012, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by dixie_boysles
LOL NO, that is good, like mmmmm good! love the truck!
Oh good...lol...you never know; thought maybe you meant "mmmmmm, not so sure about that"......lol. Thanks!

Originally Posted by fordmantpw

Thanks fordman....and yes, I think the Truxedo Lo Pro is a quality cover and I do like how it looks once installed.

I hear ya, my extang still looks brand new after many years of service! The aerospace 303 cleaner is really top notch stuff.. I basically just wanted another simple soft tonneau because they are inexpensive, serve the purpose of covering the bed nicely, and are quickly out of the way when the whole bed is needed. I love the bak flip, but can't stand that it blocks the rear window in order to use the whole bed..
The Truxedo Lo Pro definitely has those two main advantages over the BakFlip; signifcantly cheaper and doesn't block the rear window. I really liked the BakFlip for ease of access (just close versus the extra step of making sure the velco seal is pulled tight on both sides) and the fact you can quickly access 2/3rds of your bed without rolling something up. But I was not liking the fact that I couldn't see out the back when I was hauling my dirt bikes or other large items that neccessiated use of the entire bed, so the Truxedo wins out on that account.

Originally Posted by 97madness
You have inspired me not only for when i can get my new 150. But have also made my wallet run in fear. This truck looks amazing!
Thanks 97madness.....lol.....I dunno, looks like your wallet is use to some fear from what I can tell that you've done to your truck; looks great!

Last edited by Desert Dawg; 04-11-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Looks fantastic:-)

Old 04-12-2012, 02:28 AM
i must say it looks good but i would think about painting the knock off. other than that it looks good! might just be the fact they are moto wheels and so often seen/used and you add the color to them threw me off.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by 05supercrew
Looks fantastic:-)
Thanks!

Originally Posted by blueovelboy
i must say it looks good but i would think about painting the knock off. other than that it looks good! might just be the fact they are moto wheels and so often seen/used and you add the color to them threw me off.
Thanks....yeah, I thought about doing that too but then decided that would be too much red. I really haven't seen that many of the same wheels around here so thought I was being different especially with the PTM inserts.

Last edited by Desert Dawg; 04-12-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Looks Great! How do you like the Trail Grapplers? How much louder are they than stock? Thinking about putting a set on the OEM 20's and spacing them out a bit.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Desert Dawg
Thanks!

Thanks....yeah, I thought about doing that too but then decided that would be too much red. I really haven't seen that many of the same wheels around here so thought I was being different especially with the PTM inserts.
dude sorry didnt want to sound like i did. it dose look like its different and not cookie cutters straight out of a box!

Old 04-15-2012, 12:34 AM
Desert Dawg is going to make my next truck. All your trucks look sooo good. Beautiful as always.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by stompy
Looks Great! How do you like the Trail Grapplers? How much louder are they than stock? Thinking about putting a set on the OEM 20's and spacing them out a bit.
Thanks stompy. I am liking the Nitto Trail Grapplers much better in the 295 size on slightly less offset wheels because now they don't stick out as much as they did on my last truck so I am not getting the loud howl at highway speeds like before. But for day to day driving, they actually hold the road pretty good despite the aggressive tread and seemed to do fine during wet driving too.

Still, they a lot louder than stock. If you go witht the 305s that are wider and have them stick out futher on wider or higher offset wheels, you will hear them even more. Not a quiet tire by any means, but not too instrusive if you keep them closer to the fenders.

Originally Posted by blueovelboy
dude sorry didnt want to sound like i did. it dose look like its different and not cookie cutters straight out of a box!
No worries blueovalboy; I am fine with the fact that not everyone likes the wheels. I was even on the fence about them when I first ordered them but thought they might turn out pretty good with the PTM inserts. I do get a lot of positive comments with everyone that sees the tuck in person. But at some point, I may even change them out again if I get tired of them. Anyway, thanks for the input!

Originally Posted by LonestarROB
Desert Dawg is going to make my next truck. All your trucks look sooo good. Beautiful as always.
Thanks ROB.....lol.....be happy to build your next truck (with your money...lol).

Last edited by Desert Dawg; 04-15-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Nice truck. I've had a number of lifted Ford 4X4's and yours kinda makes me want another one....... Nah, gonna hang on to what I have so I can retire. As long as I keep buying vehicles, I will have to keep working and 46 years of holding down a job (since I was 16) is enough. It's time to kick back and try to get a portion of what I paid into Social Security (FICA) back.......

Old 04-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Dawg, Just curious on what Gears you are running!?
I am really struggling with my decision on tire size due to my 3.55's.....I just don't think the truck will like a 34" tire with them.

As always, Your truck looks Great!

Old 04-15-2012, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
Nice truck. I've had a number of lifted Ford 4X4's and yours kinda makes me want another one....... Nah, gonna hang on to what I have so I can retire. As long as I keep buying vehicles, I will have to keep working and 46 years of holding down a job (since I was 16) is enough. It's time to kick back and try to get a portion of what I paid into Social Security (FICA) back.......
I totally hear you on that as I need to settle in on something for same reasons.

But then again maybe not.

Quick Reply: Matinee performance (of my mods anyway)...