2009 - 2014 F-150

HELP!!! Dealer Installed OEM Moonroof???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't be a jerk about it as others have suggested. Just explain to them that you do NOT want a moon roof installed after the factory, and since the cost of a moon roof is $###.##, you would like to try to work something out as far as accessories. Maybe not the full amount, but 3/4 or something like that. So, if the moon roof cost $1200, and a Line-X and tonneau cover comes to $900, tell them you will accept those instead of a moon roof.

Seems fair to both sides, really, and as long as you are courteous, you should get your way. Remember, you can always be a jerk later and refuse the truck (you should have a couple days at least to back out of the deal, depending on your state), but you can't start out as a jerk, then when they refuse your offer, be nice later to get what you want. It's always easier to negotiate if you start out with a cool head.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am with the others! I wouldn't fool around with it. I wouldn't want any dealer cutting my roof out for a dealer installed sun roof.

Mine came with one off the dealer's lot, but if I was to order a truck I would not include that option. I had one on the truck I traded off. Hardly ever used it. Just another place for a leak or some thing to get out of whack

Old 04-18-2012, 09:01 PM
To the OP-
If you want a moonroof and your dealer ( I am certain they will send it out to a pro installer) will install it for free I'd do it as long as they will verify it is a Webasto (I am pretty sure they still produce the roofs for Ford). It'll be the exact same unit you would have gotten from Ford. Make sure to see how the switch will be installed and make sure you are ok with it. The only visible difference will be a trim ring around it. It won't be inferior because it is the same. The only way moonroofs leak into the interior now is if a drain (there are 4 of them) gets plugged.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:05 PM
I had one installed into a older 97 Tahoe and it worked flawlessly, it looked and function just like the factory ones. The switches were in the correct locations. The only problem was the truck fell apart. Had the roof for 5years.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:44 AM
I LOVE my moon-roof, my 08 F-150 had one and now my 11' has one, and every other truck/car/suv from here on in will have one!

Old 04-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Patman
I personally have a thing against sunroofs, in general they break, leak, and when they break its always in the open position.

I think you're better off without. Just make them pay you something in credit, or services for their screw up/
We have one in our 03 Accord that has never broke or leaked. 9yrs and 107,000 miles. Maybe Ford can't do it right. But back to the OP, I would just ask for my $1000.00 back.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Several things to consider here:

- Did you pay for a moon roof? If you did, you have the right to say you paid for something (a factory moon roof) that you didn’t get.

- If you did pay for it, you paid for a factory installed moon roof. That would mean it was installed at the factory, with factory tooling and installation methods, with factory pre-treat, primer and paint steps and with factory welding processes. You simply cannot duplicate all of this later on.

- Factory moon roofs are worth more than an aftermarket one on resale – because they’re generally better engineered, built and installed.

- If they offer you something in place of the moon roof, don’t assume that all retail prices equate to actual costs. For instance, if the moon roof MSRP was $1,000 and they offer you a $1,000 “Environmental Protection Package” instead, you’d be getting a royal screwing.

Personally, I wouldn’t even consider an aftermarket or even dealer added moon roof – even if the dealer added one used 100% factory parts. Yes, the parts are important, but the process used to install it is even more important. And remember, in most states, you have a legally mandated period where you can go back on the deal. I’d ask myself how much I really needed the moon roof.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:17 PM
First things first. We gotta head from the OP about whether he paid for it, and if it was in writing. If he sat down with the salesman and the.salesman filled out the order form while he just said what he wanted, and the box for the moon roof never got checked..... Then the dealer doesnt really have to do a damn thing. But if it was checked and can be verified and he paid for it, then.would the ford factory be at fault for not building the truck that was ordered??

OP really needs to come in here and clear this up.

IMHP i wouldnt mess with it. But i never like moon roofs to begin with

Old 08-30-2012, 02:38 PM
If you were supposed to have gotten the moon roof and paid for it, you did not get what was agreed to in the contract (buyers agreement). They have broken the contract. Hence, they should buy back the truck and order another one according to the original deal.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm going to go slightly against the grain.

While I agree that their moonroof is probably inferior to something from the factory, I also think if they are willing to warranty it that it can't be ALL bad news. My factory moonroof seems noiser than I would expect but I fully think when I take it in they're just going to say it's normal. Having a moonroof (at all) means there's an extra thing that could go wrong.

But I might take this opportunity to get myself some extra upgrades in place of the moonroof. Maybe it's time to have them give you a spray in liner with the bed extender plus some rubber floor mats and have the truck tinted. Use this as a negotiation dream opportunity.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:24 AM
I would just be without a moonroof

Old 08-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Thread opened April 17, and the OP hasn't been online since June 1st. Me thinks the whole thing is a moot point by now.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Dealer Installed OEM Moonroof???