2009 - 2014 F-150

HELP!!! Dealer Installed OEM Moonroof???

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP!!! Dealer Installed OEM Moonroof???

Ok here's my dilemma, I go to pick up my factory ordered FX4 EB today. When I arrived I was told that they were washing it and it'll be waiting for me when I'm done with all the paperwork, no biggie. I finish up the endless paperwork, grab the keys, say my goodbyes and stroll out the door. I open the door, hop in, start her up, adjust the radio and head to the exit happy as a clam I go to open the moonroof and to my surprise the moonroof is absent Come to find out the dealer forgot to add the moonroof to my build order After peeling me off the celling they offered to install the Ford moonroof kit for free, which I am told is a exact replacement to the ones installed at the plant. Does anyone have any experiences with dealers installing a moonroof after-the-fact? Are they just as good as factory installed ones? Where do they locate the controls? The thought of cutting open my new baby sickens me to death. I'm just contemplating if I should even bother and live without it. After all it was MY fault for assuming the dealer knew what he was doing when he was filling out the paperwork when I signed.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Build Tracking Moderator
Bummer....
I wouldn't let the dealer install it.
Aftermarket moonroof is inferior to factory by a long shot. I'd sooner do without, if it was me.
Negotiate hard..make them give you a hefty discount.Or give it back to them.

I always tell guys to inspect the vehicle they buy in great detail and take plenty of pics before taking it.

Last edited by SETCHAN; 04-17-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
I personally have a thing against sunroofs, in general they break, leak, and when they break its always in the open position.

I think you're better off without. Just make them pay you something in credit, or services for their screw up/

Old 04-17-2012, 11:18 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Patman
I think you're better off without. Just make them pay you something in credit, or services for their screw up/
This.

If the moonroof didn't come from the factory, you don't want it.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 PM
The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning against doing it. I'm going to talk to the guys in the shop tomorrow but I don't think it'll help. I don't think they'll take it back either as I signed the order form. Maybe a discount on the extended warranty will help me from seeing red, or I can just learn not to look up when I'm in the truck. I should be OK in a few weeks as everything else about it I LOVE!!! That EB is SICK Besides I'd rather go without than push my luck with the unknown. I had a moonroof on my '09 FX4 and I used it less than 1/4 of the time.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Its their mistake....make them pay you for it......stay away from the dealer installed one....

Old 04-18-2012, 01:18 AM
Love my stock one open it everyday it's above 60 degrees... and while I love them I would not take one not installed at the plant.. The metal is molded in by the stamp machine and there's extra support in the body to allow for the missing cross members.... aftermarket all bad... Take the truck up there hand them the keys and tell them you want the truck you ordered...

Old 04-18-2012, 01:35 AM
With me dealer installed sun/moonroofs and T-Tops ended with the 1970s.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The factory sunroof is a 1K touch. If they were going to install a factory unit, they would be into it for the moonroof, new roof skin, new headliner, and a whole pile of labor. I have had power roofs on several vehicles over the years, and overall have hardly used it. I vote to be glad you don't have it, but use it as ammo to suck something valuable out of the dealer. You mentioned the extended service plan..... what is the dollar value of the different plan options in front of you? I'd be aiming for 1500 worth of retail credit. Perhaps even a hard painted tonneau cover. Aim High.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:12 AM
As has been mentioned here having a sunroof put in after the fact is generally a bad decision. While I would be very upset about not recieving the sunroof, you also signed the paperwork. That puts you in a tricky spot, because while you paid for it, you also signed off on your truck being fine. Let this be a lesson to the people who zip through the delivery process without paying attention.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 AM
My buddy has a dealer installed one in his f250. He HATES it! Don't do it, nothing but problems.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:56 AM
Clarify please, was the roof included in the price negotiated, and then left off the order formed you signed? Or, was the roof forgotten on the order as well as not included in the deal?

I agree with the nay-sayers on the dealer installed offer.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by koolhandusa
The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning against doing it. I'm going to talk to the guys in the shop tomorrow but I don't think it'll help. I don't think they'll take it back either as I signed the order form. Maybe a discount on the extended warranty will help me from seeing red, or I can just learn not to look up when I'm in the truck. I should be OK in a few weeks as everything else about it I LOVE!!! That EB is SICK Besides I'd rather go without than push my luck with the unknown. I had a moonroof on my '09 FX4 and I used it less than 1/4 of the time.
It really doesn't matter if you signed. If it's in writing (hopefully it is) they must provide or compensate you for it, or they breach the sales contract and their reputation. Whatever that option cost is what they owe you in cash or other agreement that YOU settle for, not what they offer.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Don't let them cut your new car. If you decide to live without one, definitely leverage for some other offsetting benefit, and look on the bright side, you'll never have to worry about this happening to you too:

You could also try this:

Old 04-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Don't do it man. If it wasn't from the factory don't let them do it. I'd tell em you need a new truck or just live with it and tell them you are going to go on an accessories.ford.com shopping spree on their dime.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Dealer Installed OEM Moonroof???