2009 - 2014 F-150

Help me decide on a Regular Cab Short Bed 4x4: F-150 5.0 STX or Ram 1500 Express

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tstjohn
All Ram regular cabs are built in Mexico
This is a negative for the Ram. For sure.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:55 PM
The low end XL's or STX's are simply work trucks, thats why your not gonna see hi end interiors in them. Ford know those vehicles are used to lug tools and crap around on job sites. Ever notice driving on the highway, when you come across road work, those no frills F150's are the only trucks along the shoulder and not any dodge's. Its always been that way with ford trucks. The Dodge is simply the clear choice for your budget!

good luck with it.

out of curiousity, what did the dodge guys say about our trucks?

Old 04-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BLUEforLIFE
The low end XL's or STX's are simply work trucks, thats why your not gonna see hi end interiors in them. Ford know those vehicles are used to lug tools and crap around on job sites. Ever notice driving on the highway, when you come across road work, those no frills F150's are the only trucks along the shoulder and not any dodge's. Its always been that way with ford trucks. The Dodge is simply the clear choice for your budget!

good luck with it.
Agreed!
See for yourself.

PS: I didn't read it, just did a quick google search to find it.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:21 PM

good luck with it.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=110983

Old 04-25-2012, 04:28 PM
^ I love the uneducated quote on the Ecoboost..." The eco boost seems nice but its a 6cyl turbo. It makes good power but at higher rpm & the torque kicks in up high as well.

Ummm.... 365 horsepower (at 5,000 rpm) and 420 pounds-feet of torque (at 2,500 rpm) on regular unleaded gasoline is worlds less than
390 horsepower @ 5600 rpm &
407 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4000 rpm

Old 04-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by hydro1
^ I love the uneducated quote on the Ecoboost..." The eco boost seems nice but its a 6cyl turbo. It makes good power but at higher rpm & the torque kicks in up high as well.

Ummm.... 365 horsepower (at 5,000 rpm) and 420 pounds-feet of torque (at 2,500 rpm) on regular unleaded gasoline is worlds less than
390 horsepower @ 5600 rpm &
407 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4000 rpm
I have no interest in a six cylinder so it was irrelevant.

Although my current car is a Turbo, and it sure is fun then the turbo kicks in. However it's also a stick shift. I think turbos and torque converters make for a very mushy combination. Besides, Turbos drink like an alcoholic when they're on the boost.

Last edited by Kytann; 04-25-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Going to go with the Ram? Goodluck to ya!

Old 04-25-2012, 05:15 PM
just read through 6 boring pages about the hemi being GOD. Big Friggin deal, you have 30 more horses, now you can race NASCAR with your trucks i guess...lol

When those guys, can say there truck is the best selling VEHICLE IN THE USA, then we should talk a good truck.

in all fairness the hemi is a 5.7 vs 5.0 - it should have more hp.

hopefully 10yrs down the road, you.ll still be happy with the dodge.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The '08 STX's can be pretty decked out. My truck has fog lights (that my Dad's XLT doesn't), cruise, power windows/locks/side mirrors and a single CD. I've added a bunch of extras like chrome air vent bezels, Flow Through Console w/shifter, and 5" Ford step bars (though I've seen other stock SuperCab STX's with those).

The XLs are basic, but the STX trucks were usually tricked out with a decent amount of toys, to entice buyers.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Kytann
I have no interest in a six cylinder so it was irrelevant.

. Besides, Turbos drink like an alcoholic when they're on the boost.
So will a Hemi with a heavy foot, even more so.
I have a friend at work who can't get over 10mpg city. He has a heavy foot, but so do I and get 13.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:12 PM
just read through 6 boring pages about the hemi being GOD. Big Friggin deal, you have 30 more horses, now you can race NASCAR with your trucks i guess...lol

When those guys, can say there truck is the best selling VEHICLE IN THE USA, then we should talk a good truck.

in all fairness the hemi is a 5.7 vs 5.0 - it should have more hp.

hopefully 10yrs down the road, you.ll still be happy with the dodge.
Hopefully I will. I'm not totally decided.

I've been doing searches on reliability and problems owners have been having on this forum and several others.

Looks like Ford has alot more problems. Alot more people complaining, and alot more rust issues, especially around wheel wells. Alot more instances of having to pay out of your own pocket for repairs. Thin sheet metal of the Fords. And for both I was only looking at '09+. Also warranty claims denied if even 100 miles past the cutoff.

If you look at just the Forums, it sounds like Fords suck. I know forums are not indicative of the general population, after all for the most part this is where people come to complain. And having sold more vehicles means the same percentage, or even a lesser percentage of problem will result in a larger overall number of problems.

As for the Hemi thing, I will say it feels much more stout from the seat of the pants driving than the 5.0. Reg Cab versus Reg Cab. Sounds better too.

I think alot of that has to do with electronic throttles. the manufacturer can program the map for whatever they want, and the 5.0 has a very soft initial map. Probably for fuel mileage reasons.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:14 PM
So will a Hemi with a heavy foot, even more so.
I have a friend at work who can't get over 10mpg city. He has a heavy foot, but so do I and get 13.
From what I've been reading MPGs on the Hemi and the 5.0 are gonna be effectively the same. Especially with the cylinder cutoff on the Hemis.

MPGs are not entering into my consideration. It was just a comment on how turbo motors work, and why ecoboost guys sometimes complain of fuel mileage

Old 04-25-2012, 06:33 PM
well, you seem up to speed with all things considered, let us know what you pick and good luck with either one.

"Also warranty claims denied if even 100 miles past the cutoff.".... rules are rules. It's better to go by the book and be black & white when running a company. When the gray fuzzy area comes into play you will get burned. I don't see chry-co being any different and allowing people free repairs past warranty.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:41 PM
i had two other fords in the past and both only developed a tad of rust in the bottom door sills, and this is after 12+ yrs. Yes i pretty much run my trucks till the end. Both trucks had very little mechanical failure, time eventually catches up to things. I can't say for how long these newer style trucks will last, but with all the high tech technology built in them, issues are eventually gonna come up. Im not buying into Ford having all these problems, I dont really think they would continue to outsell Dodge, Chevy & GMC if they have so many issues.

i will agree the 5.0 isnt a rocket off the line, but when you go WOT, it certainly jerks you back.

I do give you credit for going about this decision as you did. I would never buy a dodge, even if i knew Ford really did suck. Grew up with ford trucks, and im staying loyal.

again, good luck with your purchase

Old 04-25-2012, 06:46 PM
well, you seem up to speed with all things considered, let us know what you pick and good luck with either one.

"Also warranty claims denied if even 100 miles past the cutoff.".... rules are rules. It's better to go by the book and be black & white when running a company. When the gray fuzzy area comes into play you will get burned. I don't see chry-co being any different and allowing people free repairs past warranty.
These were fairly common with Toyota. If it's obvious a problem started before the cutoff, or the symptoms were recorded, but not diagnosed, then the repair would be covered.

Haven't seen as many Crysler examples. But then again, less Rams out there total.

Quick Reply: Help me decide on a Regular Cab Short Bed 4x4: F-150 5.0 STX or Ram 1500 Express