2009 - 2014 F-150

Help me decide on a Regular Cab Short Bed 4x4: F-150 5.0 STX or Ram 1500 Express

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Looks like Ford has alot more problems. Alot more people complaining, and alot more rust issues, especially around wheel wells. Alot more instances of having to pay out of your own pocket for repairs. Thin sheet metal of the Fords. And for both I was only looking at '09+."

Rust issues with 09+? Thin sheet metal? Idk....I have an 07 stx that's been through at least 6 upstate ny winters of salt hell and I don't have a spot of rust nor the beginnings of rust on my wheel wells or any other part. U like Dodge cool buy one....prob not gonna convince anyone on here that their f150s are inferior tho. When it comes down to it I'm sure dodge and maybe even Chevy make a nice truck. Its all a matter of opinion, styling preferences,etc.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by BLUEforLIFE
i had two other fords in the past and both only developed a tad of rust in the bottom door sills, and this is after 12+ yrs. Yes i pretty much run my trucks till the end. Both trucks had very little mechanical failure, time eventually catches up to things. I can't say for how long these newer style trucks will last, but with all the high tech technology built in them, issues are eventually gonna come up. Im not buying into Ford having all these problems, I dont really think they would continue to outsell Dodge, Chevy & GMC if they have so many issues.
I'm just going by how easy it is to search for problems on message forums. Not scientific at all, and the numbers are totally skewed by the increased volume Ford sells.

i will agree the 5.0 isnt a rocket off the line, but when you go WOT, it certainly jerks you back.
I did do a couple of full throttle runs, and they're very close. Edge still to the Hemi. But I'd almost never be doing full throttle runs.

I do give you credit for going about this decision as you did. I would never buy a dodge, even if i knew Ford really did suck. Grew up with ford trucks, and im staying loyal.

again, good luck with your purchase
Thanks. I come from a family of Toyotas. So I am branching out.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by BigKais89
"Looks like Ford has alot more problems. Alot more people complaining, and alot more rust issues, especially around wheel wells. Alot more instances of having to pay out of your own pocket for repairs. Thin sheet metal of the Fords. And for both I was only looking at '09+."

Rust issues with 09+? Thin sheet metal? Idk....I have an 07 stx that's been through at least 6 upstate ny winters of salt hell and I don't have a spot of rust nor the beginnings of rust on my wheel wells or any other part. U like Dodge cool buy one....prob not gonna convince anyone on here that their f150s are inferior tho. When it comes down to it I'm sure dodge and maybe even Chevy make a nice truck. Its all a matter of opinion, styling preferences,etc.

They are all nice trucks. I'm just looking for the best one for my needs.

From what I was reading your '07 has much thicker sheet metal. Tonight I'm gonna go rap my knuckles on some trucks and get a feel for that difference.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Man, Consumer Reports should hire you to review trucks...lol

Old 04-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Haha ill second that. Talk about goin in depth...jeez lol.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:47 PM
wow thought this thread would have died by now!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:02 PM
No kidding! haha

Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by Kytann
Hopefully I will. I'm not totally decided.

I've been doing searches on reliability and problems owners have been having on this forum and several others.

Looks like Ford has alot more problems. Alot more people complaining, and alot more rust issues, especially around wheel wells. Alot more instances of having to pay out of your own pocket for repairs. Thin sheet metal of the Fords. And for both I was only looking at '09+. Also warranty claims denied if even 100 miles past the cutoff.

If you look at just the Forums, it sounds like Fords suck. I know forums are not indicative of the general population, after all for the most part this is where people come to complain. And having sold more vehicles means the same percentage, or even a lesser percentage of problem will result in a larger overall number of problems.

As for the Hemi thing, I will say it feels much more stout from the seat of the pants driving than the 5.0. Reg Cab versus Reg Cab. Sounds better too.

I think alot of that has to do with electronic throttles. the manufacturer can program the map for whatever they want, and the 5.0 has a very soft initial map. Probably for fuel mileage reasons.

Ok,Think about what you're saying if Ford sells lets say 250,000 trucks a year and Dodge sells 100,000 trucks a year.The company that sold more trucks might have more problems but at what margin is the question.

Later Mark.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Mark Miller
Ok,Think about what you're saying if Ford sells lets say 250,000 trucks a year and Dodge sells 100,000 trucks a year.The company that sold more trucks might have more problems but at what margin is the question.

Later Mark.
Yes. With alot fewer trucks there are fewer people to complain

Old 04-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the Ecoboost was available in the RCSB this would be a no brainer. Unless you prefer sound over quickness and low end torque.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Mark Miller

Later Mark.
Let's look at the JD Powers ranking for Dependability.

Ford has 124 problems per 100 vehicles and is above average.

The industry average is 132 problems per 100 vehicles.

Look at Ram.

Ram has 174 problems per 100 vehicles. Ouch! This is below average and poor for dependability on 09' and newer trucks.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/02...surprises.html

---

For JD Powers Quality rankings, F-150 was ranked #1 in quality. Ram is nowhere to be seen.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/06...ity-study.html

---

Crash tests? F-150 named a Top Safety Pick for 2012. One of only 3 pickups to win this award. Ram was not one of them.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/12...-for-2012.html

Any way you slice it, Ford F-150 is hard to beat. If it was me, I would increase my budget a little and not settle for anything less than an XLT F-150 or above. With the discounts you will be surprised how much pickup truck you can afford.

Last edited by Rambo; 04-26-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Rambo,

Very good finds thanks for the links.

Later Mark.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Rambo, am sold. lol

Old 05-01-2012, 02:04 PM
I just went through this same debate but Ford vs GM. I really was not interested in a Ram. I called Ram, spoke to a sales person and just generally did not like what I heard from him. I went and looked at the GM trucks, they were ok, but I was not sold on them...

Long story short, I ended up at the Ford dealer placing an order for exactly the truck I wanted. (I too had a pretty specific list of what I did and did not want)

Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Kytann
This is a negative for the Ram. For sure.
Mexico has a great craftmanship reputation in the auto industry. From quality point of view, the quality is not a concern.

Quick Reply: Help me decide on a Regular Cab Short Bed 4x4: F-150 5.0 STX or Ram 1500 Express