2009 - 2014 F-150

2012 F-150 5.0 Rough Idle Upon Start up

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jonbar87
I agree. I took it to the dealer today. They'll check it out in the morning when it's cold (since that's the only time it does it) and then let me know what they find.
Good, glad here it!

Let us know what they find and if they fixed it...

Old 05-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 88racing
Good, glad here it!

Let us know what they find and if they fixed it...
I will for sure

Old 05-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Just got a call from the service department. Said they started it up and it started doing it. Fortunately they had the logger hooked up and it showed misfires on cylinders #5 and 7. Now the question is, what's causing those misfires!? I'm going to leave it there for the weekend and they'll continue to troubleshoot on Monday.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Build Tracking Moderator
Glad they're on it. Let us know what the problem was.
Do you know what the build day was?

Old 05-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Man I don't...I'll have to look when I get it on Monday (assuming they fix it that quick).

Last edited by jonbar87; 05-12-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:08 AM
Anyone know if I'm entitled to a free rental while my vehicle is being worked on? My wife has an SUV but uses it frequently for gym workouts/errands so it's very inconvenient not having my pickup. Is Ford required to give me a courtesy car while mine is being worked on?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:20 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Nope. That's up to the dealer.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:34 AM
Good to know. Thanks

Old 05-14-2012, 05:58 PM
So the dealer called and said it did it again this morning so they called the engineers at Ford. Apparently there was a software update so they applied it. He said that's the only thing they could come up with so they hope it fixes it. They're going to hold it until tomorrow and make sure it doesn't do it anymore. I'm so glad they're being cool about it and actually acknowledging the problem...I've read so many horror stories about dealers. Anyway, I just hope it fixes it! I wonder what all the update does...maybe more hp??? doubt it...

Old 05-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the update....hopefully that fixes it...

Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 PM
In the video are you holding your foot on the gas or is the truck idleing that high because it's cold? Like I said in an earlier post mine has a slight rough idle for maybe 30 seconds to a minute after starting it when it has been sitting overnight. I swear mine has a slight miss when it's lugging up a hill in 6th gear right before it tries to downshift. It seems like all my issues with my truck are "Just the way it is" according to the dealership. I'm about to try another dealership. Mine also has to go in for a constantly creaking/popping dash, whistling from wind on the left side of the windshield and just started on the right side, oil pressure guage needle being really dark and flickering, and some moderate to sometimes severe clunking when coming to a stop.

If I can ever get these issues fixed I will be happy. I love the truck minus the extremely sloppy driveline. My 05 got me used to the newer trucks random clunks and shudders. I'm really impressed with the fuel mileage.

Keep us updated.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Thanks for the update....hopefully that fixes it...
I hope so too!

Originally Posted by nascar99ford
In the video are you holding your foot on the gas or is the truck idleing that high because it's cold? Like I said in an earlier post mine has a slight rough idle for maybe 30 seconds to a minute after starting it when it has been sitting overnight. I swear mine has a slight miss when it's lugging up a hill in 6th gear right before it tries to downshift. It seems like all my issues with my truck are "Just the way it is" according to the dealership. I'm about to try another dealership. Mine also has to go in for a constantly creaking/popping dash, whistling from wind on the left side of the windshield and just started on the right side, oil pressure guage needle being really dark and flickering, and some moderate to sometimes severe clunking when coming to a stop.

If I can ever get these issues fixed I will be happy. I love the truck minus the extremely sloppy driveline. My 05 got me used to the newer trucks random clunks and shudders. I'm really impressed with the fuel mileage.

Keep us updated.
I am holding my foot on the gas, but steadily. It is jumping up and down due to the misfires on cylinder #5 and #7 (although not well depicted in this video).

Everything that you listed is definitely not normal. I've tuned ECU's for the last few years so I know EXACTLY how an ECU works, what they control, and how they control it. I don't settle for the, "oh that's normal" or "oh it's just learning"...that's bogus. An ecu doesn't "learn out" misfires, slight misses when it's lugging up a hill in 6th gear right before it tries to downshift, a constant creaking/popping dash, whistling from wind on the left side of the windshield and just started on the right side, oil pressure guage needle being really dark and flickering, and some moderate to sometimes severe clunking when coming to a stop. If they try and tell you it's normal you tell them no it's not, and this give x reason as to why not. That's what I did. I explained in detail how the idle trims work inside the ECU, how they're programmed, and why it's NOT normal. All he said was, "oh, well we'll take a look at it then".

Last edited by jonbar87; 05-14-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Well I called the dealer today and the flash update to the ECU didn't fix it. The service manager said his foreman was on the phone with Ford all morning trying to figure out what the problem was. They're going to keep troubleshooting and hope they figure it out. In the mean time, I miss my new F-150!

Old 05-16-2012, 10:28 PM
They still haven't found out what's wrong. Now they're saying it's bad gas....I really don't think it is. The service manager said that Ford told them to take a gas sample and "perform a bunch of other tests"....no idea what the "other tests "are but hopefully whatever they are fixes it.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:19 PM
They did say that I could get a rental on their dime, but things kept coming up after work so I never got the chance to get one.

With that said, today the service manager called and said it was fixed and that it was because of bad gas. He said they drained the tank and flushed the injectors and put new gas in and it didn't do it to them at all today so he thinks it fixed it. We'll see tomorrow morning once it's cooled off and I take it to work. I was a little upset cause I brought it in with 10 gallons of gas and when I got it back they only refilled it with 3. I almost said something but thought 7 gallons isn't that big of deal, but it's just the fact behind the matter that bugged me. First off, I buy a brand new vehicle, it starts acting up, so I bring it in and was super cool about how long it took them to fix it, AND I didn't even get a rental, and then you go and don't even fill the tank up with at least how much it had...I was HOPING for a full tank since I was good about not getting the rental and being so patient with them, but apparently that was too much to ask. Ugh. Oh well, at least I got the latest software update...whatever that does. I asked him and he had no idea. It also doesn't say on the receipt as you can see. I feel like they're all there to just fill a 9 - 5 position and/or make money and really don't TRULY care about fixing the vehicle...

Quick Reply: 2012 F-150 5.0 Rough Idle Upon Start up