2009 - 2014 F-150

2012 F-150 5.0 Rough Idle Upon Start up

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Delaware STX12
Well then a tune is out of the question for me. I can't void the warranty on a 3 week old truck.
Just picked mine up from the dealer after they looked at this issue. Of course they said it runs fine. Warranty is only as good at the people working on the vehicle. In my area, they seem to have trouble finding the issue let alone fixing it. Not impressed. Not worried about voiding a warranty that is worthless anyway.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:17 PM
2012 cold start hesitation

My 2012 FX2 5.0 hesitates from a cold start. After run around from local dealership as well as Ford, the dealership is installing a video recorder on the truck to help identify the issue. We'll see...

Old 09-06-2012, 06:41 PM
The following is from my Ford dealer. It is a text message conversation between a dealer tech and Ford. The text messages were sent through a Ford service called "Hotline Assistance Request". I assume this service is only available to Ford Dealers.

Description of vehicle concern:
Customer states, hesitation on light accel from a stop. Cold only. 3 hours plus soak time. Goes away in about 2-3 minutes of driving

Diagnostics performed
Verified customer concern. Hesitation on accel from a stop cold engine only 3 hour soak time minimum. KOEO PASS KOEC PASS KOER PASS MODE 6 DATA showed 2 miscount on cylinder 6 and 1 miscount on cylinder 8 in last/previous drive cycle. There are no PCM updates available.

Tech's Question: any knowns?

Comment from: Ford

Misfire counts of 1-2 on individual cylinders can be normal. Also, some hesitation may be noticed when the vehicle is cold and not properly up to operation temperature. Therefore it is advised to compare this concern to a like unit. If a like unit exhibits the same operation, this is a normal characteristic and no further repair attempts should be made.

There was more said, but that was the important part. I am waiting for a call back from Ford customer service tomorrow. They have elevated my issue and are investigating.

My thoughts are...
1.) So if my car is "not properly up to operating temperature" it is always going to hesitate? Taking 3 minutes to "properly" warm up my truck is considered normal for a 2012 vehicle? Come on, that is unrealistic. I am not going to warm a brand new car up for 3 minutes just so it drives without bucking. What is this, 1968?
2.) Why are 1-2 misfires normal?
3.) I am glad the tech used the language "Verified Customer Concern".

I will update you all.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:43 PM
The misfires are because of the retarded timing. Just show them this thread...we already KNOW what the problem is: the "engineers" have programmed an extremely retarded timing value into one of the 4 startup maps...simple as that. Don't wait for them to tell you what's wrong, YOU tell them what's wrong and demand it be fixed. It's ridiculous...

Old 09-07-2012, 07:28 AM
Thank goodness for remote start, eh ?

Old 09-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Mine has never idled rough more than about the first 20 seconds, which you expect a high performance V8 engine to do. After that, smooth as glass. Never any hesitation. But I also live in Texas, and it has been hot for the two months I have had the truck.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Had mine for just ov er a year ang 35,000 miles. It runs rich when I first start it but smooths out when I put it in gear.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:00 PM
My issue is still not resolved. I am now taking it to a 3rd dealer to look at the problem. The truck still bucks, kicks and hesitates unless you give it a few minutes to warm up every time it sits for more that 30 minutes or so. Again, I know that it is most likely due to the ignition timing being retarded, but I don't care if that is what is causing it, I want someone from Ford to step up and offer a solution. And "that is a normal characteristic of the engine" is not a solution, that is an excuse and a poor one at that.

On a side note, I had a distorted windshield that was replaced after I had to have safelite auto glass confirm the distortion (dealer claimed he couldn't see it and refused to replace it). I had a factory defect in my hood that took 2 trips to the body shop to completely repair. I found dirt and dust in the paint the first time I picked it up. I tried to have a plug and play remote start installed at a dealership (the one you can purchase from ford.com/accessories). Most dealers I called had no idea what I was talking about and tried to sell me a $600 aftermarket kit. I Finally found a dealer to install it (although at first, they didn't understand what I was talking about either).

I was given a 7 year 75,000 mile warranty upgrade for my trouble, but really I just want the issue fixed. Can we create a "sticky" on this website so that people can log this issue? Maybe then we could track it and send it to Ford. This must not be a problem for everyone or I would certainly be able to find more info about it on the web.

This will be my last Ford truck unless I can get this hesitation/bucking problem solved. The amount of time I am wasting looking for a solution is crazy. It just is not worth it. Not to mention the windshield that I had to fight to get replaced, the damaged hood that took 4 days and 2 trips to repair and the remote start that was almost impossible to get installed. With the exception of the regional customer service rep (Cheryl) that I have been dealing with, the customer service has been terrible. I really want to love this truck, but man is Ford making it hard.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:46 PM
To the OP, that looks like the torque ap for your phone, if it is, how did you get timing and A/F? I just installed it today and have not stumbled upon it yet.

Quick Reply: 2012 F-150 5.0 Rough Idle Upon Start up