2009 - 2014 F-150

First time towing with 2010 FX4....few rookie questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bansheerider
I doubled check the vehicle and the front GVWR is just over 2K, the dolly max is 3450K so I should be ok in the weight department. For some reason I was factoring the total weight of the vehicle even though the dolly ony supports the front half.
Even thought the dolly only supports the front half, the tongue still has to take the full weight of the dollied vehicle. Are you sure that 3450 lbs isn't taking that into account? Are you sure the 3450 isn't the TOTAL vehicle weight? I would think it is.

Just found this on the U-Haul site, so I think you need a trailer to be safe:
Front-wheel or all-wheel drive vehicles must not weigh in excess of 3,450 lbs.
Rear-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicles must not weigh in excess of 3,900 lbs and you must disconnect your driveshaft.
You haven't mentioned if your Escape is AWD or FWD, but that will make a difference as you may need to disconnect a drive shaft if it is AWD.

Another thought...doesn't the military cover the moving expenses? Why not have them move it with your stuff?

Last edited by fordmantpw; 05-14-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Even thought the dolly only supports the front half, the tongue still has to take the full weight of the dollied vehicle. Are you sure that 3450 lbs isn't taking that into account? Are you sure the 3450 isn't the TOTAL vehicle weight? I would think it is.

Just found this on the U-Haul site, so I think you need a trailer to be safe:

You haven't mentioned if your Escape is AWD or FWD, but that will make a difference as you may need to disconnect a drive shaft if it is AWD.

Another thought...doesn't the military cover the moving expenses? Why not have them move it with your stuff?
The military will not move a vehicle unless over seas. They are paying me to drive 2 vehicles but my wife wants to fly with my 3 year old son, so now I have to tow it. The Escape is FWD.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Ok so I called Uhaul and they had no idea if the max weight for the dolly is for the whole vehicle or the front GVWR. I talked them into upgrading my trailer to the car hauler for an extra $100 vs $250. I feel a bit better now, thanks for the advice guys

Old 05-14-2012, 02:16 PM

Sounds like it all worked out. Have a safe trip. Make sure you strap down everything properly.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The military will not move a vehicle unless over seas. They are paying me to drive 2 vehicles but my wife wants to fly with my 3 year old son, so now I have to tow it. The Escape is FWD.
Interesting, I didn't realize that.

Ok so I called Uhaul and they had no idea if the max weight for the dolly is for the whole vehicle or the front GVWR. I talked them into upgrading my trailer to the car hauler for an extra $100 vs $250. I feel a bit better now, thanks for the advice guys
Sounds like it's going to work out well for you! Safe travels to you and your family!

Old 05-14-2012, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't worry about using cruise on the flats. I tow a 7200lbs TT that will have way more frontal impact than your Escape. I use cruise all the time on the freeway and long stretches of straight highway. I have a Scangage hooked up and see no higher tranny temps using the cruise. Only time my tranny temps go up is when I'm in the mtns climbing 4-6% grades, where I don't use the cruise. I let the tranny do it's thing and have no probs. FWIW 2010 F150 5.4 3.73, maxtow 145" WB. Screw. Just remember your trucks reciever is only rated for 500/5000lbs w/o weight distribution. So your smart to get it weighed before you leave.

Last edited by goducks; 05-14-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:57 PM
If you can't tow with the cruise on then it means the transmission is crap. Any REAL pickup SHOULD be able to tow with the cruise on...just my .02

Old 05-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm......

While towing, if I DON'T use the T/H mode, the transmission will downshift easily for small hills.

If I use the T/H mode, my tranny doesn't hunt for gears but stays mostly in 6th gear unless traveling up a grade..............

And I use the cc all the time while in the T/H mode. No excessive gear changing.

4.6,3-V 4x4 Scab. Tow pkg w/3.73 L/S diff

Last edited by High-ster; 05-14-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:55 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by jonbar87
If you can't tow with the cruise on then it means the transmission is crap. Any REAL pickup SHOULD be able to tow with the cruise on...just my .02

Old 05-14-2012, 09:31 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Your 7200 GVWR is the total weight of just the truck - it includes everything loaded in the truck and bed, and the tongue weight of the trailer. Once you get everything hooked up and loaded, fill the gas tank and go hit a CAT scale - the weight slip will have the front axle weight, rear axle weight, and trailer axle weight. Add up the front and rear axle weights and that should not exceed 7200#. It probably will if you have a lot of crap in the truck, but if it's only a couple hundred pounds don't sweat it.

Note that U-Haul does not recommend that you exceed 55 mph while towing their car hauler.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Your 7200 GVWR is the total weight of just the truck - it includes everything loaded in the truck and bed, and the tongue weight of the trailer. Once you get everything hooked up and loaded, fill the gas tank and go hit a CAT scale - the weight slip will have the front axle weight, rear axle weight, and trailer axle weight. Add up the front and rear axle weights and that should not exceed 7200#. It probably will if you have a lot of crap in the truck, but if it's only a couple hundred pounds don't sweat it.

Note that U-Haul does not recommend that you exceed 55 mph while towing their car hauler.
So the GVWR only applies to my vehicle, not what I'm towing correct? In other words, a GVWR of 7200# would be the payload capacity correct? If I'm towing a trailer over 8000 LBS then that's ok as long as I have the right setup, such as a weight distribution hitch and trailer brakes correct?

Old 05-17-2012, 02:51 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
There are several ratings, none of which you should exceed. Like I said, go run the rig over a CAT scale.

1. Front and rear truck axle weight added together should not exceed GVWR, which is 7200# in your case.

2. Front axle weight should not exceed front GAWR, rear axle weight should not exceed rear GAWR, both these ratings are found on the door sticker.

3. The total weight - front axle, rear axle, trailer axle added together - should not exceed your GCWR.

You will always wind up exceeding GVWR long before you hit the 9600# towing limit. That number is usually calculated with a completely empty truck - only a 150# driver and 1/4 tank of gas - and minimum safe tongue weight. How far over GVWR you go is your decision. The more crap you load in your truck, the sooner you will hit the limit. You could even hit 7200# before you even hook up a trailer!

Yes, if you plan on towing a 8000+ # toyhauler you will need a WD hitch, brakes, and probably some air bags in the rear suspension. You would also need to load your crap in the toyhauler, not the back seat and bed.

Last edited by glc; 05-17-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by glc
There are several ratings, none of which you should exceed. Like I said, go run the rig over a CAT scale.

1. Front and rear truck axle weight added together should not exceed GVWR, which is 7200# in your case.

2. Front axle weight should not exceed front GAWR, rear axle weight should not exceed rear GAWR, both these ratings are found on the door sticker.

3. The total weight - front axle, rear axle, trailer axle added together - should not exceed your GCWR.

You will always wind up exceeding GVWR long before you hit the 9600# towing limit. That number is usually calculated with a completely empty truck - only a 150# driver and 1/4 tank of gas - and minimum safe tongue weight. How far over GVWR you go is your decision. The more crap you load in your truck, the sooner you will hit the limit. You could even hit 7200# before you even hook up a trailer!

Yes, if you plan on towing a 8000+ # toyhauler you will need a WD hitch, brakes, and probably some air bags in the rear suspension. You would also need to load your crap in the toyhauler, not the back seat and bed.
Sounds good glc. I have a better understanding of load capacities now. Thanks for all the information. I'll shall see how my truck does towing.

Quick Reply: First time towing with 2010 FX4....few rookie questions