2009 - 2014 F-150

Confirmed: Tonneau Cover Not Great for MPG+

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DraKhen99
First, @Exponentialpi - the blend was still 10% ethanol, and I filled up at the same stations as I have on all my trips there, so I doubt that's it. I think it's the extra couple thousand miles I've put on the truck since then, with the 1mpg the others are talking about in regards to having a tonneau cover on.

@Nimrod - somewhere on Ford's web site, they have videos showing how the back of the cab is designed to direct airflow to the top of the tailgate.

-John
As explained by others, the summer vs winter blend gas is different. Even with 10% ethanol in both, the gas blend is different.

Summer and winter blend gas difference

Old 07-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by logical
I'm just puzzled why: a) you use the word "confirmed" as if your plywood contraption along with the trip computer outweighs all studies done by anyone to date, and b) why is doesn't say "confirmed, tonneau covers improve mileage more or less about what has been claimed by most people all along". I opened the thread expecting to see a study that showed the tonneau to make MPG worse.
Logical,
it's too bad that you were disappointed in your expectations upon opening the thread, but the thread title in no way inferred a worsening of MPG. My "plywood contraption" did confirm about what others have seen all along, in spite of some of the wild mileage improvement claims that some vendors include in their tonneau ads. Again, not great MPG improvements, but not altogether dismal, either.... in this case, especially, YMMV

Old 07-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Bullet100t
Thanks for the info Nimrod, I have a BAK Flip F1 and its a great cover it is very user friendly and keeps everything in the bed protected and if I can save a few bucks on gas here and there that's a plus.
Thanks Bullet - I'm looking hard at the Bakflip. Originally, I had thought I wanted to go with one of the soft tri-fold covers that sits on top of the bed rails, but now I rather like the hard-surface, flush-mounting appearance of the Bak...it looks like a good investment.

Quick Reply: Confirmed: Tonneau Cover Not Great for MPG+