2009 - 2014 F-150

Need Help- Any service advisors or technicians in Central NJ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help- Any service advisors or technicians in Central NJ?

Hi all- Sorry for the long post---
I have a 2011 Platinum that came with the Max-Tow and the large towing mirrors. I replaced those with a power folding set and changed the mirror switch also. I read that I would have to connect some wires between the mirrors and switch to get the power fold to work, but was ultimately not able to get them to work.
I finally paid "just-answer.com" and got the following response from a Ford technician:

The mirrors need to be wired exactly as the schematics show. The switches are not wired to the motors, they are wired to the drivers seat module (DSM). The DSM controls the motors by applying power and ground to the motors on different wires.
After receiving the signal from the switch, the DSM applies power and ground to the fold motors. It then reverses polarity to the motors to fold them in the opposite direction, making it impossible to hardwire the fold motors to the switch. The switches and switch wiring circuits are not designed to carry the kind of current necessary to operate the motors, they are just low current signal wires. That being said, the mirrors need to be wired exactly as the schematic shows and the wires for powerfold functions should already be present in the harness even if the vehicle did not come equipped with powerfold. The problem you have is the DSM is not configured for powerfold and this feature is not configurable with a scan tool. The module would need to be programmed with as-built data from the same model and year that came equipped with powerfold. I know of no other way to get them to work and have been down this road several times with customers wanting to do the same thing as you.
You need a VIN number for a 2011 F150 that has all the options as yours, including powerfold. Then the dealer needs to download as built data from the Ford website for that VIN. Then the as built data needs to be programmed to the DSM on your vehicle. This will turn on the powerfold capability of the DSM and the mirrors and switches just plug in to the existing harnesses.

I did find another truck vin on line with all of the same features including the power folding mirrors.

Any Ford service advisor willing to help would be appreciated- I called the dealer where I bought my truck and the advisor did not think that this would work-and was not willing to try...

Please PM me

Thanks

P

Old 07-03-2012, 12:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PSMD,
Love to hear how you make out with this.

Quick Reply: Need Help- Any service advisors or technicians in Central NJ?