2009 - 2014 F-150

Curious about SCT and Ecoboost tunes? Read real world reviews from prior customers!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curious about SCT and Ecoboost tunes? Read real world reviews from prior customers!

Had a good number of customers recently write up reviews of their 2011-2012 Ecoboost F150's newly tuned using one of my SCT tuners and figured minds well list some of the reviews for those considering tuning their Ecoboost with a SCT 3015 unit.

I want to hear YOUR review on what you thought of the SCT tuners! Any questions, feel free to let me know as I'm here to help!

Ecoboost review from Extech...

"Anyhow.... WOW , what a difference! Very smooth and very powerful! Everything from idle to part throttle to wide open is very much improved. Normal driving (if there is such a thing after installing a new toy) is night and day different. I do have the Solo 4" exhaust and the AFE stage 2 intake installed so the truck ran good before but this is the icing on the cake!

As far as gas mileage goes, to bee honest, I've been running the snot out of it! But I drove a 80 mile section of HWY that I drive often and already it looks like it's picked up about 1 mpg or so, but it'll take a little time to to know for sure!

For those of you on the fence, I do not think you will be disappointed at all. I'm looking at it this way, if the SCT unit is this good (and affordable) now what's is going to be like in 6 months to a year after everyone really starts to play with it? We are going to have our choice of any tune at any time to match any situation that we'll ever run across. "

Ecoboost review from member Sickqk

"Installed the 93 Octane tune today. Truck feels STRONG.

Shifts better than stock during normal driving, at WOT shifts are good and firm. 1-2 second feels like a power shift on a manual trans, chirps the tires. No more surging and the engine doesn't fall on its face at higher revs like the stock tune does. Smooooooth power! No weird noises, the engine sounds great. Mileage seems to be about the same....but I haven't done enough miles yet to know for sure and I was able to get some good seat time in with the 93 octane tune tonight after the sun went down. It's been up around 100 degrees here ever since I installed the tune...tonight it was about 78 when I went out, and I was able to drive with the AC off and window open.

WOW! The truck pulls so much harder than stock it's amazing! I'm going to guess it will cut close to a second off the trucks 1/4 mile time.

As soon as the weather gets a little better I be at the track to prove that....hopefully next Friday night which is street night at my local track. I'll post the results.

P.S. The truck even idles better, smooth as silk and quiet....all you can hear is the tick tick tick."

Old 07-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Former Sponsor
Ecoboost review from member DJT81185

"
Mine updated and worked on the first try.

Loaded up the 87 tune and took her for a spin. Spinning tires once the turbos spooled up with the 20s on my fx4. Only weird thing I noticed is it feels like the 1-2 shift was delayed (like it was overrevving) and initially it made a bang/thud noise on the upshift (from the tranny/rearend). After about 10 1-2 WOT shift runs the bang went away...but the 1-2 shift doesnt feel as crisp as the other gears. Im thinking its the adaptive transmission strategy doing its thing.

Does feel noticeably stronger and cant wait to try out the 93 tune. Overall I like it a lot "

Ecoboost review from member Bigfx

"Loving mine!!! Shifts smooth power delivery is nice and no joke about chirping the tires in second the trucks powerband feels more defined up top and the truck revs a lot easier. My intake and exhaust sound a little louder and I am happy I have them there to support the increased boost. Very happy with the tune so far and I'm on the 87 tune!!!! May try the 93 when I fill up again, overall very happy and that coming from a guy who has driven turbo charged cars for close to 15 years and tuned all of them myself this is a great canned tune, can't wait to get her custom tuned down the road but for now I'm very happy great job SCT and thank you for your great customer service Franchi , guys he has the best price hands down and unbelievable customer service. "

Ecoboost tune by member EcoBco

"wow the 87 tune pulls nice , Sorry man, but this 87 tune chirped tires on 2nd gear. Love it!"

Ecoboost tune by member Geno51

"Man I love this tuner! I cant keep my foot out of it today. It acts completely stock (better then stock). Drives so nice Then you hit the go pedal and it just takes off. I notice it mostly from a dig that is the best part hammer it from a dig she spools up starts losing traction just a bit around 4500 rpm to 6000 then scratch into second. This 1-2 shift is just right! Someone else said it right its not firm just more positive feeling. Feels like it happens faster and more certain. Enough to bark the tires but feels soft not a hard shift. Its hard to explain"

Old 07-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Here is some info on some dyno pulls done on a bone stock Ecoboost truck and the resulting gains with a SCT tune.... 51 rear wheel horsepower and 108 feet of torque on a tune alone!

2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost Dyno Sheet
Stock: 300.96 RWHP / 327.77 RWTQ
SCT 87 Octane Tune: 335.51 RWHP / 393.94 RWTQ
SCT 93 Octane Tune: 351.64 RWHP / 436.02 RWTQ

93 Octane Tune Adds: +50.68RWHP / 108.25 RWTQ!

Name:  EBTune.jpg
Views: 2966
Size:  34.4 KB

And here is another customer who also did some baseline pulls both stock, and then with SCT 93 tune, and also a aFe stage two intake as well. Numbers jumped t 371 rwhp and 458 torque. Not bad for a couple basic bolton's!

Name:  eb.jpg
Views: 2748
Size:  56.8 KB

Any questions, feel free to let me know! Thanks!

Old 07-05-2012, 07:01 AM
What about the 5.0???

Im really on the fence...mostly because of warranty issues...

Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Former Sponsor
A tune for the 5.0 would give gains of about 15 horses to the wheels and 30 feet of torque on a stock engine. Sadly I don't have any dyno graphs of that one though....

Old 07-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Former Sponsor
Bump for those interested in the Ecoboost tuning!

Old 08-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Former Sponsor
Anybody else got some reviews of their Ecoboost they want to post up?

After working on and tuning numerous EB F150's, finally convinced me to start looking into buying one for myself. Was a hair width away from pulling the trigger on a 2010 F250 6.4 with only 12k miles and test drove it 2 times but while I couldnt say what, there was just something missing from it.

Then I decided to take a FX4 Crewcab EB for a spin while on my way home ( felt really odd to be driving a non tuned EB lol ) and whatever was missing from the F250, the EB had it. So I'll probably be ordering a 2013 here in a few weeks to a month, hopefully can get some incentives off as well.

Trending Topics

Old 08-01-2012, 02:10 PM
No review, but very interested... How does this effect the warranty? Also price?

Old 08-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Former Sponsor
Shot you a PM, thanks!

Old 08-02-2012, 08:47 PM
I have read that if you tune the EcoBoost... Ford will not honor the engine warrantly. I wouldn't do it until after warratny expired at least .

Old 08-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Former Sponsor
The simple answer to that question is.... there is no simple answer. lol

What I mean by that is legally, Ford cannot deny you warranty work unless they can specifically PROVE that said aftermarket part directly caused the warranty failure. Moss vs Magnuson act.

Are most dealerships aware of that? Some but not all. I usually encourage folks to just call their local dealership if really concerned about the warranty and ask upfront. Some dealerships are very mod friendly, some are not.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Sct tune is nice. I purchased and ran the 87 Octane tune for a couple of weeks while waiting for a 5 Star custom tune to be available. Made a big difference over stock. Just a note, had a issue with my truck losing power. I put it back to stock and took it to dealer, nothing was said about tuner being installed. I don't think most dealers have the technology to tell if a tuner was installed.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Where do you get the tunes and how are they installed? I have never done that on a Car/Truck. I have on my fuel injected motorcycle with an aftermarket "Dyno-Jet Power Commander" and hooking up with the laptop. Is there a port and program to "flash" the controller or is is just a PROM or something like that that plugs in? Just point me at a website?

Old 08-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
They come in a little handheld device that plugs into your OBD2 port. It reflashes the computer in the truck, and then you unplug it.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
They come in a little handheld device that plugs into your OBD2 port. It reflashes the computer in the truck, and then you unplug it.
Thanks. That's almost too easy.

Quick Reply: Curious about SCT and Ecoboost tunes? Read real world reviews from prior customers!