2009 - 2014 F-150

Finally drove an Ecoboost today

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 05:16 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Finally drove an Ecoboost today

Went over to the local Ford dealer today to see if they had any info on when the 2013 Fusion is going to be showing up. Salesman was a really decent dude and we got to shooting the breeze. Mentioned that I'd like to try out a EB, he grabbed a set of keys and said "Let's go!"

It was a silver extended cab short bed XLT with 4wd and 3.55 e-locker. I was a bit disappointed in the "feel" but it's VERY deceptive - the speedo says that it goes like a bat out of hell but my butt didn't think so! This one had about 120 miles on the clock, and it did seem to have some turbo lag. Very quiet truck, but there was some V-6 growl and a bit of turbo whistle. Very comfortable truck, and it rides very nice. I did punch it making a right turn, and it did break loose momentarily but then the traction control kicked in. I drove it about 10 miles, got on it a few times but nothing extreme, it got 14 mpg. The A/C worked, but nowhere near as well as my 03 (it was 102 degrees out there today).

I do NOT like the screwy turn signals.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The turn signals do take a little time to get used to. I've had my Ecoboost for a few months now and really like it.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:44 PM
The signals can indeed be unsettling. I havent seen them anywhere else(even the sd has a normal signal) so i am not sure what ford is going for there

Old 07-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Gerrard155
The signals can indeed be unsettling. I havent seen them anywhere else(even the sd has a normal signal) so i am not sure what ford is going for there
The 2011+ Super Dutys I have driven all have the weird turn signals.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by swiseuf
The 2011+ Super Dutys I have driven all have the weird turn signals.
My mistake. I drive a previous gen sd at work, they must have changed it....

Old 07-28-2012, 07:47 PM
I like the turn signals now. I've had mine about 4 months and find myself trying to use the lane change function in other vehicles. It was a little weird at first since thy don't stay when you click them

Old 07-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadowstabber
I like the turn signals now. I've had mine about 4 months and find myself trying to use the lane change function in other vehicles. It was a little weird at first since thy don't stay when you click them
The system did take some time but I like it now.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:36 PM
What's hard to get used to is not having the windshield wiper stalk that I can tap to clean off the windshield.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:37 PM
What's different about the signals ? Have not driven one.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:51 PM
If you only lightly touch the stalk to the left or right the signals flash three times, if you click all the way they immediately go back to the center position without making a turn. They will cancel after you turn and if it's only a slight turn where they dont cancel any other input will cancel them.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:18 PM

idk about all that..When i drive my ecoboost, my tires almost burn out on full throttle take off, and i can fly up steep highway grades without and issue. The truck hauls *** basically. The turn signals take awhile to get used to, but like every new thing, you get used to it. the turbo whistle is awesome! i wish it was louder haha this is my 3rd f150, ive owned every body style, and im impressed at how much ford improved the look and feel of the truck

Old 07-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Careful, once you go Ecoboost you'll never go back. Been loving mine for 6 months now.

Regarding the turn signals, it takes a little acclimation to them, but now I can't use my Crown Vic's signals because I expect the three blinks with a tap on the stalk. Much more reliable than the old mechanical cam that inevitably wears out. My Crown Vic has 140k on it and it's switch is almost a goner.

Originally Posted by BarryT82
What's hard to get used to is not having the windshield wiper stalk that I can tap to clean off the windshield.
Did you come over from another brand? The F-series has had wiper controls on the turn signal stalk for 20 years now. It's still pretty easy to tap the button on the end.

Last edited by MrEvil; 07-28-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:05 AM
Tap what button? Yes, I've been driving German vehicles for years, but needed a truck. I'm used to the tap to flash blinkers because my wife's car and the suv I traded have it.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Went over to the local Ford dealer today to see if they had any info on when the 2013 Fusion is going to be showing up. Salesman was a really decent dude and we got to shooting the breeze. Mentioned that I'd like to try out a EB, he grabbed a set of keys and said "Let's go!"

It was a silver extended cab short bed XLT with 4wd and 3.55 e-locker. I was a bit disappointed in the "feel" but it's VERY deceptive - the speedo says that it goes like a bat out of hell but my butt didn't think so! This one had about 120 miles on the clock, and it did seem to have some turbo lag. Very quiet truck, but there was some V-6 growl and a bit of turbo whistle. Very comfortable truck, and it rides very nice. I did punch it making a right turn, and it did break loose momentarily but then the traction control kicked in. I drove it about 10 miles, got on it a few times but nothing extreme, it got 14 mpg. The A/C worked, but nowhere near as well as my 03 (it was 102 degrees out there today).

I do NOT like the screwy turn signals.
I test drove a few EBs and I've noticed that most of them sitting on the dealer lots are a little laggy because they haven't adapted to a partcular driving style yet. Once they adapt to an agressive driving style and start to break in a little they become more responsive. I ordered mine and took delivery with 16 miles on it. The service manager put a few miles on it during dealer prep, then the salesman decided to test drive it before I picked it up. Mine was a little laggy at first but after putting some miles on it the lag becomes non-existant. Mine is a beast @ 7500 miles.

Last edited by NASSTY; 07-29-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:57 AM
When I test drove mine it was in transport mode. I don't know if that limits the power or not, but it did lag a little and now the turbos seem a little louder too.

Quick Reply: Finally drove an Ecoboost today