2009 - 2014 F-150

Ford's RSC and Traction Control Guide

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Ford's RSC and Traction Control Guide

Hi all, new to the forum. I recently purchased m first Ford truck, a 2012 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCrew, and love it. Got a fanatastic deal too - $29k.

Since buying it, I was a little surprised it didn't have a limited slip differential, as I have several friends with older F150's that do have it or have the ELD, but none with an open diff. Reading on this forum I found out why - the new RSC and Traction Control, which according to many of the posts on this board, works great in 2011 and later models.

I found this and thought I would share, as it answers alot of unanswered questions or debates out there. It is the training guide used by FORD salesmen to learn about the traction control methods in all Fseries Ford trucks and how they work.

https://fmcstage.dealerconnection.co...on_Job_Aid.pdf

It looks like the key to making the electronic system work offroad correctly is to turn OFF the traction control, which leaves only the RSC on. This allows the trucks ECM to direct power between the wheels to reduce slippage like an LSD would without blipping the throttle to slow the wheels.

I hope this helps guys, and once I try it out, I will let you know how it works.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Fantastic information! thanks for sharing

Old 07-28-2012, 10:23 PM
I will give it a read, but so far I am rather displeased with the RSC system. Twice when trying to pass it has kicked in and made throttle input irrelivent. I can be an aggressive driver but I feel this has the potential to be dangerous in certain situations.

Edit*
Just got through reading the link and I am rather surprised at how this works. So my RSC activating at 45-50 mph under a full throttle acceleration to pass translates to wheel spin? Awesome!

Last edited by Shadowstabber; 07-28-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:08 PM
That sound like a malfunction, as mine hadn't done that. When I stomp the accelerator, mine just hauls a$$!

Old 07-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowstabber
I will give it a read, but so far I am rather displeased with the RSC system. Twice when trying to pass it has kicked in and made throttle input irrelivent. I can be an aggressive driver but I feel this has the potential to be dangerous in certain situations.

Edit*
Just got through reading the link and I am rather surprised at how this works. So my RSC activating at 45-50 mph under a full throttle acceleration to pass translates to wheel spin? Awesome!
Mine does this too, especially when there is a set of rumble sticks between the two lanes on a two lane highway. I didn't think it had the power to spin the tires already going that fast.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Stuffdeer
Mine does this too, especially when there is a set of rumble sticks between the two lanes on a two lane highway. I didn't think it had the power to spin the tires already going that fast.
Yes they have alot of power. Ford had always underrated the power their engines make. I test drive a Dodge with the hemi when I deciding which truck to buy, and the Ford feels stronger and than the Dodge's 390 hp.

Quick Reply: Ford's RSC and Traction Control Guide