2009 - 2014 F-150

Best Ford ESP?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
That is the same place I bought one for my current truck. Only go with Ford OEM warranties, and Flood Ford has great prices.
Flood Ford is considered a OEM warranty correct? The website says they are good for all Ford dealers in the country. Their prices are really good. I might go with a 7/80K warr and $100 deductible.

Originally Posted by mkosu04
think about it... Ford isn't planning on loosing money, right?

So for the majority of people that buy the extended warranty Ford will make money from them.

Sure, some people come out ahead (thats how insurance works) but for most people you would be better off sticking that money in a savings account so you have it if you need it.
For $1300K I'm not too worried about it.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bansheerider
Flood Ford is considered a OEM warranty correct? The website says they are good for all Ford dealers in the country. Their prices are really good. I might go with a 7/80K warr and $100 deductible.
Yes, it is an OEM Ford warranty. It's the same thing you would buy at your local dealer, for a lot less money.

On another note, if you like your local dealer, you may take the quote to them to see if they will match it, as a courtesy to them and to "buy local".

Old 08-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Yes, it is an OEM Ford warranty. It's the same thing you would buy at your local dealer, for a lot less money.

On another note, if you like your local dealer, you may take the quote to them to see if they will match it, as a courtesy to them and to "buy local".
That's a good idea. I just moved to this area so I don't know how good of work my local dealer does. My truck will be going to them this week for work so we shall see. I move every four years or so, it will be nice to have a warranty that covers nationally.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:22 AM
which warranty are looking at? its sounds like extra care for $1300. I am looking at getting one also. will shop around, then go to dealer to see if they will match price.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by tbones
which warranty are looking at? its sounds like extra care for $1300. I am looking at getting one also. will shop around, then go to dealer to see if they will match price.
The one I'm looking at is $1395 for 7 years or 100K miles of PremiumCARE. Its an extra $145 for the rental car plan. However, if my truck breaks down my insurance will pay for a rental. I'm thinking the extra $145 for a rental may be a waste of money. If my local dealer will meet this price and give me the rental plan for free then maybe I'll buy the warranty through them.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by bansheerider
The one I'm looking at is $1395 for 7 years or 100K miles of PremiumCARE. Its an extra $145 for the rental car plan. However, if my truck breaks down my insurance will pay for a rental. I'm thinking the extra $145 for a rental may be a waste of money. If my local dealer will meet this price and give me the rental plan for free then maybe I'll buy the warranty through them.
So, that's 7 years after the initial 3 year warranty which would total a 10 year warranty period, or does that 7 years coverage really just mean 4 years after the vehicle's 3 year warranty is expired????

Old 08-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by High-ster
So, that's 7 years after the initial 3 year warranty which would total a 10 year warranty period, or does that 7 years coverage really just mean 4 years after the vehicle's 3 year warranty is expired????
The website says the warranty begins on the date of sale and whatever mileage. So this would be an additional four years after the manufactuer warranty. This is how all extended warranties work, whether it's a car or a computer. It is a gamble, but it only takes one catastrophic failure to make it worth the money. My truck has had a few problems in the year and half I've owned it. Also if you plan to sell the truck you can get a refund or add the value to the price of truck. If you buy a new truck you can move the warranty plan over to the new vehicle.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Never bought an extended warranty and never would had the opportunity to use if except for mostly minor repairs I've done myself. I did have to replace wheel bearings (front hubs) on my 06 Explorer (did myself for abut 40% of what dealer wanted).. but I am so far ahead of the game without buying exteneded plans... I can afford to replace an engine or transmission if needed.

The reality is that, if it makes it thorugh the standard warranty period, you most likely won't have an major issues until > 100K miles... which is when all the warranties seem to expire. It's all an odds game.

That's just been my experience.. I know others have horror stories. Certainly if a person has no mechanical abilities... then it would be good and is certainly worth the "peace of mind".

I have found most all the problems I have had to be minor electrical (sensors) or ignition issues that cost relatively little to fix. It seems friends of mine who have similar issues always get huge bills for replacing the "computer" or etc.. I wonder how many times they get charged hundreds of dollars for a $50.00 repair?

Last edited by dsmith873; 08-26-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:40 PM
I've purchased the extended warranty only once in the past. It was on a 1993 explorer with 4X4. During the extended warranty period it needed to have the airconditioner repaired twice and the transfer case repaired once. The extended warranty paid for itself on that vehicle. I'm still undecided on purchasing the extended warranty for the 2012 Ecoboost.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by olgzr
I've purchased the extended warranty only once in the past. It was on a 1993 explorer with 4X4. During the extended warranty period it needed to have the airconditioner repaired twice and the transfer case repaired once. The extended warranty paid for itself on that vehicle. I'm still undecided on purchasing the extended warranty for the 2012 Ecoboost.
I would if I was you. Never know when one of those turbos will go out

Old 08-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Smile re: Best Ford ESP

Originally Posted by Scooter70
I've been told that if you're going to get an extended warranty, go with the one from Ford. Aftermarket warranties can be a crapshoot on whether or not they cover expenses when the time comes.

So you got $1100 in benefits from the plan in 3 years. How much did it cost you to purchase the warranty in the first place?
I actually was able to get the extended warranty for $1500. It was only a three year warranty which broke down to about $500 a year, but the peace of mind in knowing that I would only have to pay $100 for any incident was great. Any of the incidents that I had would have cost me almost that much by themselves (other than the window regulators).

The way I look at it is this:

If you have the money to stick back into the bank to save for that "dealer repair", then go for it. Some of us don't have the extra finances to be able to walk into a dealer and drop $1000+ for a repair bill, when the amount that gets added to your loan is minimal. Yes, I probably lost money on the warranty, but that's to be expected. But it's nice to know that for any covered repair, I only have to pay $100 deductible. It's all up to how you want to spend your money. Do some research before you buy and check into the coverages offered by the warranty. When I traded my '05 in for my '09, I also bought an extended warranty for it, but I got 5 years/75K miles bumper to bumper for just over $2000. If I decide that the warranty isn't worth it, I can always cancel it and get my money back on it. Will I?? Who knows. But just knowing that most repairs are covered (not normal wear and tear stuff) is worth the peace of mind.

An extended warranty is just like car insurance. You pay and pay and pay and never file a claim, so what have you obtained for your monthly payments? Besides meeting state law requirements, you get peace of mind knowing that you are protected if you are involved in an accident.

Again, I recommend doing some research to get the best price and options for your needs.

Best of luck on this one!!!

Old 08-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Griffalo
I actually was able to get the extended warranty for $1500.
The way I look at it is this:

If you have the money to stick back into the bank to save for that "dealer repair", then go for it. Some of us don't have the extra finances to be able to walk into a dealer and drop $1000+ for a repair bill, when the amount that gets added to your loan is minimal.
No offense, but I just had to "clarify" your math skills.

The amount added to your loan was $1500. I'm not sure how this is "minimal" but yet paying for a $1000 repair is too much? Not to mention that if you are putting this amount into your loan it is more than $1500 that you are spending (unless you got a 0% loan).

Saving this $1500+ would have paid for a $1000+ repair.

Yes, I probably lost money on the warranty, but that's to be expected.
Please don't take offense.
I just want to make sure people are thinking this through.

One of my coworkers got the extended warranty on his Ram (ya, you know he had to use it!) and he ended up fighting them every time he needed something repaired. They always denied the claims.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:34 PM
The Ford ESP is a factory warranty. You can buy it from any dealer. The dealers that sell them online are usually 50-100 bucks over cost. I do consider it insurance. The 3/36k run out way too quickly IMO. I almost considered GM or Dodge for their longer original warranties to 100k etc...

I'd rather pay 1,200 now and not worry, maybe have a little better resale value etc. Than to get slammed with a 3k tranny bill etc. Too much technology crammed in this truck to be paying for repairs as they happen. As much as I tow and work my truck hard in the Texas heat I expect something will fail even if it is a power window.

Heck my EPS power steering in my 2011 died at 22k miles, that would have been 1,800 bucks out of my hide a few months later past 36k!

Old 08-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by mkosu04
No offense, but I just had to "clarify" your math skills.
No offense taken. Never claimed I had the best math skills....

The amount added to your loan was $1500. I'm not sure how this is "minimal" but yet paying for a $1000 repair is too much? Not to mention that if you are putting this amount into your loan it is more than $1500 that you are spending (unless you got a 0% loan).
The difference was what I was paying out of pocket at the time of having repair work done. If I had the extra money to stick back and save for the repair, I would gladly do that. I usually wind up with some other "emergency" that comes up and takes that money away. So to finance the $1500 over the length of the note was much better than trying to come up with a lump sum to pay for an expensive repair. I only used the $1000+ as an example of the cost of repairs. If the repair bill was $3-4K, would you be able to just walk in and pay for the repair at the drop of a hat or would you have that much saved up and ready and waiting to just drop on a repair? I don't have that luxury at this time. It's a whole lot easier for me to pay the extra on my loan each month and have to come up with $100 deductible, even for a $400 repair, than it is to come up with a full amount like that. (And no such luck on a 0% loan)

Saving this $1500+ would have paid for a $1000+ repair.
Yes, that savings would have paid for the repair, up to the point of the amount I would have saved, but if that repair was more, then I still have the problem of coming up with the leftover balance as opposed to paying the $100 deductible.

Please don't take offense.
I just want to make sure people are thinking this through.
No offense taken. And you are correct - everyone should weigh their options carefully. Sometimes it's money well spent and sometimes it's just like paying for your car insurance or your homeowner's insurance and you never make a claim. You've paid all that money and you get nothing in return.

One of my coworkers got the extended warranty on his Ram (ya, you know he had to use it!) and he ended up fighting them every time he needed something repaired. They always denied the claims.
I have seen some warranties do this as well. I have been lucky and never had that problem. My claims have been legitimate and been processed with no issues. (Knocking on wood at this).

I've been driving for over 35 years and I have had vehicles that ran great the whole time I owned them and never had an expensive repair bill other than tires and brakes. I usually do my own repair work, but the newer vehicles with the electronics are beyond my capabilities now. I can still handle brakes and water pumps and things like that, but anything with the fuel system or ignition system I leave to the pros. I have also had cars that have thrown a rod, blown a transmission or even had a rearend come apart on me. That is the type of repair bills that I can't afford to just drop a large sum on unexpectedly. That is where the warranty comes in. Again, it's a matter of weighing your options and deciding what is right for you.

I don't want anyone to spend money they can't afford on a warranty that may not be of any use to them. In the same respect, I hate to see people get hit with a large repair bill unexpectedly when they least expect it (and usually can't afford it) when there was another option available. Having been a mechanic for over 20 years, there are things you can do to prevent a lot of the problems if people will take some time and get the routine maintenance things taken care of.

I hope I haven't offended you or anyone on this. It's just a difference in how you see spending your money. I just want everyone to be able to enjoy their ride with no worries!!!

Old 08-28-2012, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by L8 APEX
The Ford ESP is a factory warranty. You can buy it from any dealer. The dealers that sell them online are usually 50-100 bucks over cost. I do consider it insurance. The 3/36k run out way too quickly IMO. I almost considered GM or Dodge for their longer original warranties to 100k etc...

I'd rather pay 1,200 now and not worry, maybe have a little better resale value etc. Than to get slammed with a 3k tranny bill etc. Too much technology crammed in this truck to be paying for repairs as they happen. As much as I tow and work my truck hard in the Texas heat I expect something will fail even if it is a power window.

Heck my EPS power steering in my 2011 died at 22k miles, that would have been 1,800 bucks out of my hide a few months later past 36k!
This is a perfect example of what I was talking about. I can remember buying a kit and rebuilding a P/S pump for less than $50 and being back on the road in a day or so. It's not that simple anymore. Sometimes it takes them several hours to even find the cause of the problem (at $90/hr). But to each his own. If you have the money and can pay for that kind of repair when it happens, more power to you. I would rather only have to pay a deductible and spend the rest of my money on my trip.

Quick Reply: Best Ford ESP?