2009 - 2014 F-150

2013 What's New Book 2013 MY and snow plow

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 01:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
You have hydraulic steering.

I have no doubt the f150 will plow well for personal use, but the fact they say the electronic steering is too week scares me as they should know chances are people will throw on larger tires, ranch hand, winch, etc or even a plow thru aftermarket options. I'd expect for a front end to handle a 1000 lbs added to the front.

If how I am perceiving it is correct, I will not be happy with ford come the time i hit 120k miles and have a worn out steering system. Makes me wonder why we didn't get a hydro-assist set up instead of full electric for ease of steering.
I am kind of disappointed no one called bull**** on my pic lol. The plow is off of a 08 F350 i pulled up against to take a pic.

I would never put a plow on one of these new 150's. A real plow, not some cheap plastic crap would kill the front end. I have put plows on and plowed since i got my license, i know how much stuff a plow wears out. If your going to actually plow and get stuff done get a bigger rig

A few of our rigs
Name:  plow2.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  108.4 KB

Old 09-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EPS can handle the weight. The problem is mainly with the battery. It is not designed to handle the extra amps of the snow plow. When you raise the plow it draws 50+ amps. Then the next thing you know, your lights go dim, you can't raise the plow and you have no juice. The trick is to use bigger batteries, wires, alternator and whatnot.

The same thing can happen on a plow prep commerical F-250 plow truck. The plow prep doesn't upgrade the wiring and batteries and your truck can go dead. Even if you got all of that, it can still go dead.

Even if the 5.0 didn't have EPS, the 5.0L wouldn't be the choice from Ford for plowing because Ford always had the plow prep on the largest engine.

The plow prep wouldn't be the choice on EB because the blade would block the intercooler.

All of the F-150's could probably handle a plow but why should Ford risk it with people who are sure to abuse it? Use the proper set up or a used truck. If you plow a lot, something is going to break sooner or later no matter what truck you use.

EPS can handle big weights. Mike Levine at pickuptrucks.com put 1000 lbs of sand on the front end of an EPS truck. At rest with no momentum to move the truck there was no strain in the steering. EPS is strong, can be adjusted on a computer, helps with towing and crosswinds, better fuel economy and since there are no wires and hoses you won't have to deal with messy leaks as it ages.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:40 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
You *CAN* hang a plow on just about anything...........

Old 09-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Rambo

The F-150 section is on pages 19-20.

XLT and Lariat with the 6.2 are snow plow capable.

Cigarette lighter is replaced with 12 volt power point.

link: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...j-07-13-12.pdf
Rambo,
I found more information on it. Ford is releasing a new Snowplow Kit in late September. It will also work on 2011 through 2013 trucks with the 6.2L and the kit will be available through dealers.

New Snowplow Kit Allows for Serious Plowing with a Ford Half-Ton Truck:
http://www.greenindustrypros.com/new...half-ton-truck

Old 10-19-2013, 09:28 AM
Just upgraded my 06 Screw for a 13 Screw. Lots of improvements for sure.

I am disappointed at the "henny penny" comments of some folks who have never had a lightweight plow in their life but quick to comment on them on the F150.

I have a Fisher Homesteader...270 lbs total...yes its plastic or some form of it...but for a personal driveway its perfect. It has steel framework and is well made. I had it on my 06 for years and will mount it on my 13 next week. Do I drive around with....short trips yes..long trips never...in northern New England.

Anyone looking to plow roads or parking lots look elsewhere....but the hysteria about if this truck can handle a driveway or two are unfounded. Also, Does anyone really think a dealer is going to turn down factory paid warranty work on anything not directly proven to be related to the plow....I havent seen it. They arent looking to loose customers.

Use your head and enjoy your lightweight plow. In spite of what some non-owners say...they are nice plows for your driveway...have joysticks, and are easy to attach/detach.

Mark

Last edited by EastMark; 10-19-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Quick Reply: 2013 What's New Book 2013 MY and snow plow