2009 - 2014 F-150

Who else has this issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who else has this issues?

I was wondering if anyone else had this same issue. Ever since I bought my 5.0 back in November It has had an issue on startup.

So, If the truck sits for a couple of days it will make what sounds like a rattling when I start it. This usually only happens when the truck sits like I said. I went to the dealership to have my oil changed and I took out another 5.0 for a spin. It did the same thing. Oddly enough, another truck that was being removed from the floor of the dealership did the same thing.

Now, I have had my truck in the shop for a week before and they were unable to here what I was hearing.

Does anyone else have this issue? I did see that some had issues with the primary timing chain tensioner. I don't seem to have the issue that is documented there.

Any Ideas or anyone else's 5.0 do that same thing? Thanks for the comments.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Also, the issue doesn't present itself unless the truck has sat for a couple of days. Starting it everyday it does not make the noise.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Might it be the air conditioning compressor? Next time you shut it off just have the dash vent on (no A/C or defrost/floor) and see if it makes the noise. I think mine makes the same noise but only when I leave the A/C on so I think it kick's on right at the next start up.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:55 AM
valve rattle from slow oil pressure?

Old 09-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Hey Guys,

I'll have to try the AC thing and see what happens. I'm kinda leaning in the direction of Need4racin. It sounds like something with the timing chain looses oil pressure and rattles when started. I have had the truck sitting for a couple of days now. I'll be starting it up tomorrow. It does it every time. Maybe I can get a vid up.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:28 AM
My 2011 5.0 is not my daily driver. It mostly gets driven on the weekend. When I start it after it sitting for a few days it rattles and feels like something is grinding for 3-6 seconds and then idles rough for a few seconds after that. It sounds like a dry start with no oil pressure. Interesting that it happens to someone besides me. I wonder what the long term issues might be if there is an issue.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
What oil filter are you using???

If its anything other than motorcraft or puralator than that might be the cause of the noise.....

Old 09-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Hey Guys,

Nascar right on! Thats exactly what happens to mine. About 3 seconds of a rattle or such. No rough idle. Nice and smooth after that rattle. I did notice last time I started it, it rattled and then made some hear and there clatter and stopped.

88, I've been running a motorcraft filter from day one.

I dont know what else it could be. I'm sure over time it'll get worse. I just need that to happen in the warranty period. Already have 17,4xx.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 075SpdSTX
Hey Guys,

Nascar right on! Thats exactly what happens to mine. About 3 seconds of a rattle or such. No rough idle. Nice and smooth after that rattle. I did notice last time I started it, it rattled and then made some hear and there clatter and stopped.

88, I've been running a motorcraft filter from day one.

I dont know what else it could be. I'm sure over time it'll get worse. I just need that to happen in the warranty period. Already have 17,4xx.
For future reference so it don't confuse others.....you should change your Sig info and pic and change your vehicle in your user profile....

Old 09-06-2012, 01:23 PM
sucks a new truck rattles on start up like my 300k mile bronco.

Quick Reply: Who else has this issues?