2009 - 2014 F-150

Practically new F150 Caught Fire

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No it is not, it is In the corner of the motor kinda under the air intake assembly

Old 09-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Im pretty sure that if the dealer repairs the truck it is going to be really ****ty haha

Old 09-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Possibly, is the alternator still on top in the valley?

Old 09-21-2012, 08:39 PM
My dad got a call from ford while he was at work and texted me " main altinator wire gave out, need new block heater, altinator and some kind of module. we are going to the dealer monday morning to fnd out what happend and get the full details,

How can a wire like that give out and cause a fire? my dad says its the firsst time he heard that in 51 years, and my dad owns a taxi company, sees the most akwardest things in cars all the time. We are both pretty stumped.

Should i tell the dealer to go over the truck and do a inpection as we obvs do not want this to happen again

Old 09-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A loose wire will cause a fire. If the alternator wire nut was loose from the factory it will cause the wire to melt possibly taking the alternator and other things with it.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Moto,

I would totally ask them to go over your truck. You'd be surprised what they are going to do to make you happy. Take a good look at your hood and make sure no blisters in the paint started to form from the heat (if it got that hot) if it's not obvious it could get missed.

Philip

Old 09-22-2012, 12:07 AM
do you think we should just let it slide and be on with our truck with the fear of it being a time bomb or try to get something from the dealer, the damage is minimal so i highly doubt we will get a new vehicle, if i didnt notice the fire so soon it could have gotten way more worse, should we try to get a lifetime warrenty ? or try to get money back from the dealer, get some accessories maybe worth couple thousand dollars ? What do you guys think is fair?

Old 09-22-2012, 12:14 AM
If you're thining about trading up, now would be the time. They make take sympathy on you and give you a deal you cannot refuse. Trade up to an EgoBoost. 2013 with MyFord. 1 higher trim level than you have.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by moto-god115
do you think we should just let it slide and be on with our truck with the fear of it being a time bomb or try to get something from the dealer, the damage is minimal so i highly doubt we will get a new vehicle, if i didnt notice the fire so soon it could have gotten way more worse, should we try to get a lifetime warrenty ? or try to get money back from the dealer, get some accessories maybe worth couple thousand dollars ? What do you guys think is fair?
What's fair? Have them fix the truck back to "like new" condition, and be on your merry way. Maybe ask for an extended warranty, but that's about it. I mean, come on, bad things happen all the time, and if they fix it up, the issue will be resolved and most likely will not rear its ugly head ever again.

Seriously, don't sweat it. It will be fine!

Old 09-22-2012, 12:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by moto-god115
My dad got a call from ford while he was at work and texted me " main altinator wire gave out, need new block heater, altinator and some kind of module. we are going to the dealer monday morning to fnd out what happend and get the full details,

How can a wire like that give out and cause a fire? my dad says its the firsst time he heard that in 51 years, and my dad owns a taxi company, sees the most akwardest things in cars all the time. We are both pretty stumped.

Should i tell the dealer to go over the truck and do a inpection as we obvs do not want this to happen again
Plastic is nasty when it get to a temp to where it can burn

Old 09-22-2012, 03:19 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Ford's only responsibility is to fix it. What's fair is simply making sure that they do. If you don't trust the truck, get rid of it.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:46 AM
You will NOT get an extended warranty or any other freebies. It's a simple part failure. They will replace what was damaged and send you off to go enjoy your truck. Quit worrying about it. They found the part that went bad. It would be different if they said "no problem found" changed your alternator and sent you away.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by hydro1
You will NOT get an extended warranty or any other freebies. It's a simple part failure. They will replace what was damaged and send you off to go enjoy your truck. Quit worrying about it. They found the part that went bad. It would be different if they said "no problem found" changed your alternator and sent you away.
LOL, no kidding...

Old 09-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Got a call back from the dealer, they pretty much took back what they said about a wore being loose, and told me they ordered a new alternator a new harness and a block heater cord, they sai they don't know how it started but they will look into it once they tear it apart

Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Got a call back from the dealer, they pretty much took back what they said about a wore being loose, and told me they ordered a new alternator a new harness and a block heater cord, they sai they don't know how it started but they will look into it once they tear it apart

Quick Reply: Practically new F150 Caught Fire