2009 - 2014 F-150

Practically new F150 Caught Fire

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Practically new F150 Caught Fire

Hey guy,

Well i have been saving up for my first vehicle since i was 12 and with some of my dads help we bought a brand new 2011 f150 5.0l last october, this is my first own vehicle and i love it to death, i wash it alomst twice a week, i just started driving it regularly in august, Today on my way back to school from lunch i noticed a burning smell inside my truck but i figured it was some other machinery because there is alot of construction going on around my school, i parked my truck and went to class, later this evening me and my mom went grocery shopping and the truck was fine, i decided to take my dirtbike to the carwash to clean it and on the way back, when i was i was about 2 blocks from home i waved to a friend of mine and all of a sudden my music stops playing and the screen in between the gauges turns off but the motor still ran, i stopped and everything came back on, then the battery light came on and i drove it home slowly, i got out and my parents were sitting outside planning out my baby sisters first birthday, me my dad and my mom smell burning rubber/ plastic i open the hood and i find a small orange light and smoke, i call my dad over and hes really mechanically inclined and he started watching it and the flames were coming from under the altinator or from something in that area, we put it out then 20 minutes later we started the truck and it started but the battery light was on and the steering wheel was hard to turn, we parked it and plan taking it to the ford dealer on saturday.

has this ever happened to anyone or anything like this, few neighbours said that we demand for a new truck because our truck only has 18000 KM (9000 miles) on it and that it is very risky to own a vehicle that has issues with fire and to have a 1 year old baby in the family

It would help me sleep if anyone can give me feedback about this or an ifdea to how this occured,

thanks
warren

Old 09-21-2012, 01:05 AM
warren thats sucks! i would have ford tow it in and let them fix it. if you bought it new it has road side assistants or it should for the first year. and after you have it looked at then make a good decision on what to do. good luck hope it workes out for you!

Old 09-21-2012, 04:02 AM
If you smell something or feel something strange stop and investigate immediately!

Back in the early days of pollution control there were many problems showing up depending on the make .Often these were rubber problems when higher engine temps [retarded timing] damaged rubber components.I drove an ALFA Romeo and there was a note to change the fuel line .At that time I saw one completely burned up !! I assumed it was from the deteriorated rubber . I bought a fire extinguisher and have carried one ever since !! Never needed one but it's there in case ,for me or someone else. That should be in every vehicle !! Also carry something to break a window and cut seatbelts.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:07 AM
ya i have road side assistance and the 3 year bumper to bumper warrenty, my dad has a good reputition at the local ford dealership i honestly do not know what to do, What would i say to ford and how would i say it?

Old 09-21-2012, 06:49 AM
Tell Ford exactly what happened. Electrical issues are very tough to diagnose especially when the electronics burn up. Since you did have a fire I don't see you getting your truck back anytime soon. They will most likely allow you to get another truck, since yours burned up. If they don't, and it happens again let the truck burn to the ground, then they have no choice but to give you a new one.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
That bites about the fire....

On this forum its the first I've seen about an electrical fire on the newer body styles....

You and your dad should just call road side assistance and let them come and get it, also call ford customer service corperate and let them know what happened.....

Good luck.....

Old 09-21-2012, 09:56 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
No need to get all upset - give the dealership a chance to handle it. Stuff can happen with any vehicle. Going in and making "demands" right off the bat is not the best way to handle it. If your dad has a good reputation at the dealership, as you say, I'm pretty confident they will take care of it without you having to get all pissy.

the flames were coming from under the altinator or from something in that area, we put it out then 20 minutes later we started the truck and it started but the battery light was on and the steering wheel was hard to turn
Sounds like it might be an EPAS issue.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:17 AM
i just called the dealer and told them what happen, the guy as at the counter glenn knows us very well and said that it sounds like a altanator failure, im going to get road side assistance and they are goingto pick up the trcuk and take it to ford, but im still very anxious about what happened and i dont really feel safe in the vehicle

Old 09-21-2012, 10:32 AM
^ dude, it's a one-off failure. Report it to the NHTSB so they can log it and if there are enough reports they'll have Ford issue a recall. I honestly think you had a bum part and not some safety issue with your truck.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Parts failures happen. Let the dealership fix it, and see what they say was wrong. Once you get it back, pay attention to any issues, but don't freak out waiting on something to happen. Unless it was something major that caused issues with wiring harnesses and other things, it should be a simple fix.

sorry it happened.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:46 PM
the tow truck is on its way, truck is going to ford i will keep you guys updated

Old 09-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking forward to the update. I had a car catch fire on my once while I was driving it. Wasn't the best experience I ever had but it was sure something to see. You couldn't even tell the color of it after the fire dept got it completely put out.

I know this sounds twisted but you might have been better to just let the thing go up in complete smoke. It might have been easier to total it and get a new one than to fix one that was only partially on fire. Sucks but I look forward to hearing how it turns out. Hopefully its nothing too major.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sharper4
Looking forward to the update. I had a car catch fire on my once while I was driving it. Wasn't the best experience I ever had but it was sure something to see. You couldn't even tell the color of it after the fire dept got it completely put out.

I know this sounds twisted but you might have been better to just let the thing go up in complete smoke. It might have been easier to total it and get a new one than to fix one that was only partially on fire. Sucks but I look forward to hearing how it turns out. Hopefully its nothing too major.
I hear ya.....my bronco ll had an electrical fire in the engine compartment....being prepared I put it out with an extinguisher.....in the end after running a crap load of new wires and putting up with electrical gliches now and then .....it would've been cheaper to have let it go up in smoke, deemed it totalled and paid the deductable....

Old 09-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
On this forum its the first I've seen about an electrical fire on the newer body styles....

It's the first I have seen too.

Good luck.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Sounds like it might be an EPAS issue.
Possibly, is the alternator still on top in the valley?

Quick Reply: Practically new F150 Caught Fire