2009 - 2014 F-150

My new 2012 F-150 Pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beautiful Platinum. The interior is to DIE for!
Loving that Black Tuxedo also.
Enjoy...

Old 11-01-2012, 11:26 AM
I agree completely that it's a nice truck, I just wish the engine wasn't a piece of junk.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Well after lots of headaches and issues with this truck, I ended up driving home in a brand new 2012 Toyota Tundra Platinum 4x4.

Loved some of the features and technology in the Ford, but the problems with the engine and various cosmetic issues left a bad and sour taste.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 AM
Would you mind explaining exactly what the specific issues where with the Ecoboost and the cosmetics?

I have my eye on a 12' Platinum with the same engine/options. Thanks!

Old 11-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by prime81
I agree completely that it's a nice truck, I just wish the engine wasn't a piece of junk.
The engine isn't junk. At all. I was skeptical going from my previous trucks with V8s to this hyped-up "little" 6-cylinder. I'm getting 23MPGs on my way to and from work, can tow my trailer and boat with absolute ease, and have enough torque to get me out of any situation I get into.

Perhaps you may have gotten a bad apple(though it sure as hell is WAS a gorgeous truck, lotta' guys would kill for a Platinum with those options), but in no way is the EcoBoost motor garbage. Maybe you meant just yours was

Hopefully your new truck meets your demands. Best of luck!

Chris

Old 11-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Here are the problems I had with the truck, keep in mind when I traded it in it had just over 3100 miles.

1. Loss of power when accelerating either onto a ramp or passing, this included the shuttering problem that is widespread on the EB.

2. Excessive smoking on cold startup

3. On cold startup the truck ran rough until it warmed up, almost as if it was mis firing.

4. After a cold startup while accelerating the vehicle would stall until you gave it a bit more gas, and then it would accelerate mildly leaving a plume of black smoke behind the vehicle.

5. Oil was changed at 1526 miles, Oil analysis was done at 2800 miles and showed high aluminum, copper, silicone, and high fuel dilution with only 1300 miles on the oil.

6. Passenger front door would not open on the first try everytime.

7. Running boards would not work half the time, and if set to out position they would randomly retract without changing any options.

8. The remotes were intermittently working or not working depending, sometimes they would work, other times I had to use the key to get into the truck.

9. Gas mileage was originally around 19.5 mpg highway, when I traded it in I hand calculated highway mileage at 14.5mpg.

10. At 1000 miles they changed the left bank catalyic converter out, added the air deflector, and reflashed the PCM.

11. The bed of the truck would squeak and randomly bounce between 40-55mph, I replaced rear shocks with bilstein shocks and resolved the bed bounce and squeak.

It was in 3 different dealerships, none of which could fix or resolve the issues. All Ford did was "call" the dealerships and "coordinate".

Last edited by prime81; 11-07-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Here are the problems I had with the truck, keep in mind when I traded it in it had just over 3100 miles.

1. Loss of power when accelerating either onto a ramp or passing, this included the shuttering problem that is widespread on the EB.

2. Excessive smoking on cold startup

3. On cold startup the truck ran rough until it warmed up, almost as if it was mis firing.

4. After a cold startup while accelerating the vehicle would stall until you gave it a bit more gas, and then it would accelerate mildly leaving a plume of black smoke behind the vehicle.

5. Oil was changed at 1526 miles, Oil analysis was done at 2800 miles and showed high aluminum, copper, silicone, and high fuel dilution with only 1300 miles on the oil.

6. Passenger front door would not open on the first try everytime.

7. Running boards would not work half the time, and if set to out position they would randomly retract without changing any options.

8. The remotes were intermittently working or not working depending, sometimes they would work, other times I had to use the key to get into the truck.

9. Gas mileage was originally around 19.5 mpg highway, when I traded it in I hand calculated highway mileage at 14.5mpg.

10. At 1000 miles they changed the left bank catalyic converter out, added the air deflector, and reflashed the PCM.

11. The bed of the truck would squeak and randomly bounce between 40-55mph, I replaced rear shocks with bilstein shocks and resolved the bed bounce and squeak.
Thanks again for describing the specific issues you had. I just read your earlier thread in the V6 Engine section too. I've read others before, mostly positive on the EB. I'm ready to buy now and I'm still tossing between 5.0 and EB. I've owned three F150's so far, all bought new, all 5.4 4X4's. I've test driven both motors and still can't decide. For my money, it will only be an F150, absolutely nothing else. I'm just not sure Ford has this new EB engine dialed in right yet.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well after lots of headaches and issues with this truck, I ended up driving home in a brand new 2012 Toyota Tundra Platinum 4x4.

Loved some of the features and technology in the Ford, but the problems with the engine and various cosmetic issues left a bad and sour taste.
A buyback, or working with Ford and the dealer to trade for a new Ford would have been a much smarter (particularly financially) situation.

But hey, to each their own!

Old 11-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
A buyback, or working with Ford and the dealer to trade for a new Ford would have been a much smarter (particularly financially) situation.

But hey, to each their own!
Buyback passes through Texas lemon laws, which is a major headache in of it's own. Ford cannot buy back a vehicle outside of Texas lemon laws.

Financially we made a great decision to purchase a Tundra for invoice minus rebates. Financial suicide would have been to give more money for another Fix or repair daily vehicle. While I have family members that have had no problems with their Ford's and I do like some of the features on the Ford's I'm just not in a position to risk it at this point. Perhaps if I had a 5.0 instead of the EB it may have ended differently. But the cosmetic issues and suspension issues are widespread on all models regardless of engine. Hell while I had the truck in the dealership another f150 owner came in with the same rear end problems, I told him how I resolved mine and his exact response was "its a new truck, you shouldn't have to do this".

At the end of the day, we are financing the exact same amount we originally did for a different truck with nearly identical options. Financially we are in good shape. Actually we are in better shape because Toyota Financial gave us a better rate than any of the Ford banks would.

Last edited by prime81; 11-07-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 PM
That sucks dude, Rodgers ford didn't do anything to help you?

Old 11-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by 03Screwon22's
That sucks dude, Rodgers ford didn't do anything to help you?
At first they seemed very prompt and willing to fix the issues. Then it was like a complete 180 and they turned into *******s. We kept telling them to just let us have our old truck back, which they came back with numbers that were significantly higher than what we traded it in for. They did offer a 5 year 100k ESP from Ford at no cost, which we grabbed just in case we were gonna be stuck. Which isn't what we wanted, the average wait time for a ford truck around here is 2 months to get it into service. I had to drive 2 hours away just to get the damn thing looked at.

Basically they refused to do business with us, I guess once they got all their money they just said good riddance. Either way, they got a bad survey, Ford has been sent a complaint both on the vehicle and the dealership.

I also called to inform them that I had traded the f150 in and requested a GAP refund and the refund for the ESP they supposedly gave me. Their response was I will get my GAP back and the ESP was a gift from ford and there was no refund for it. Which I'm calling BS on the ESP part, but hey I didn't pay for it in the first place so they can have it. Bottomline is it's all smooth and dandy so long as they get to keep the sale.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:12 PM
I'm sorry dude. Yah I'll never do business with them either. Hope you enjoy your Tundra.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Really sorry to hear it man, and it sounds like if you werent happy with the truck that getting out of it early was probabaly your best bet.

I thought the EB sounded fun but when I test drove I noticed some of the things you have mentioned (Smoke on cold start on a new vehicle, strange smell and soot in tail pipe).

Old 11-16-2012, 08:53 PM
I just had my 2012 Plat bought back from me by Ford under Lemon Law. So I understand completely what you were going through.

I gotta say what sucks the most now is that some poor soul is going to purchase your problem ridden truck and because it's used, they will not have Lemon Law at their disposal. I really wish there was a way these trucks with problems were permanently removed from service.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Sucks Prime. You definitely got a bad one. My family now only drives Fords and we have had zero major issues with any of them..... Now the GM's we had were all junk including a very nice Suburban that was riddled with issues...

Goodluck with your Tundra. About the only other half ton I would drive... (Sierra Denali...maybe)

I have 21k miles on my EB and haven't had a single issue... Turning 19 mpg consistently and what a smooth ride....

Quick Reply: My new 2012 F-150 Pictures!