2009 - 2014 F-150

Max Tow vs Heavy Duty Payload

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadow_Grey
That is about right...what are all options you ordered...mine has about 1800 lbs payload from the factory per the door sticker...but I have not weighed it yet, loaded or unloaded, to see how close I am to the 7700 lbs mark. Remember too you only get 4050lbs on the rear axle total so if you get a TT you can crank up the WDH to put some of the load on the front axle and TT.

Have fun and enjoy the new truck...
Thanks - I'm looking forward to it - I currently have a 2003 XL 4x4 that I got surplus from the state department of natural resources (even got a free rock hammer that was jammed in under the seat) so I'm really looking forward to just having power windows

The packages that weren't auto-added by the site (I'm assuming that those would be taken into account for the 2000lbs because there wasn't any way to remove them) were:

- Spray in bed liner
- Max Tow
- Equipment Group 302A

I'm hoping that 302A, which is a big list of stuff, only ends up adding a few hundred lbs but I really have no idea....

Old 10-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Prime, you originally ordered a HD Lariat. Obviously you knew you needed a HD payload package. But rather than waiting for the Lariat HD, you purchased a Platinum. Then you came on here trying to justify buying a truck starting with 500 lbs less payload, plus all the extra weight of the Platinum reducing payload even more. Then you wanted to add springs, bags and/or heavier tires which all reduce your payload even further. All the way back on the first page of this thread someone directed you to the door sticker giving you the payload for your truck as you bought it. Over and over people asked what your sticker said. You danced around giving an answer to such a simple question, so it is obvious you knew from the beginning your payload was way less than you needed.
Ford lists their specs with the word "maximum" so people can use it as a starting point. They also provide plenty of towing, payload, and even option by option weights so you can build and order a truck that meets your needs. You can find that info online or you can ask your dealer.
Take some responsibility for your mistakes and stop blaming others.

Last edited by Ford850; 10-23-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ford850
Prime, you originally ordered a HD Lariat. Obviously you knew you needed a HD payload package. But rather than waiting for the Lariat HD you purchased a Platinum. Then you came on here trying to justify buying a truck starting with 500 lbs less payload, plus all the extra weight of the Platinum reducing payload even more. Then you wanted to add springs, bags and/or heavier tires which all reduce your payload even further. All the way back on the first page of this thread someone directed you to the door sticker giving you the payload for your truck as you bought it. Over and over people asked what your sticker said. You danced around giving an answer to such a simple question, so it is obvious you knew from the beginning your payload was way less than you needed.
Ford lists their specs with the word "maximum" so people can use it as a starting point. They also provide plenty of towing, payload, and even option by option weights so you can build and order a truck that meets your needs. You can find that info online or you can ask your dealer.
Takes some responsibility for your mistakes and stop blaming others.

No where does Ford state weights for the specific trim levels. All Ford states is with 4x4, 145 wheelbase, supercrew with max tow is 1900lbs of payload. How is that my fault? Yes I could have looked at the tire and loading sticker, but all I did look at was the 7650 GVWR... which is all that matters. Furthermore, my GVWR is 7650, my actual weight is 6280lbs as it sits... which leaves only 1370lbs for payload... which is no where CLOSE to the sticker on the door that states 1531lbs of payload. The official specs are below in the link.

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2012_F150_Specs.pdf

On top of all that crap, the ecoboost engine is missing when at idle. It has loss of power randomly, which has already been in the shop 3 times in 2000 miles.

Bottomline is Ford advertises spec sheets online that show the payload ratings, they do NOT mention anywhere that the payload decreases by close to 700lbs just because of the Platinum options.

The ecoboost problems are widespread, I started talking to local people and the problems are everywhere. These trucks are a class action lawsuit waiting to happen unfortunately.

Last edited by prime81; 10-23-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by prime81
No where does Ford state weights for the specific trim levels. All Ford states is with 4x4, 145 wheelbase, supercrew with max tow is 1900lbs of payload. How is that my fault? Yes I could have looked at the tire and loading sticker, but all I did look at was the 7650 GVWR... which is all that matters. Furthermore, my GVWR is 7650, my actual weight is 6280lbs as it sits... which leaves only 1370lbs for payload... which is no where CLOSE to the sticker on the door that states 1531lbs of payload. The official specs are below in the link.
If you take the sticker value of 1531 and subtract 1370, you get 161.

Just curious, does any know what a tank full of gas weighs? Hint: it's not far from 160 lbs...

Old 10-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
If you take the sticker value of 1531 and subtract 1370, you get 161.

Just curious, does any know what a tank full of gas weighs? Hint: it's not far from 160 lbs...
As far as I know the tire and loading sticker assumes all fluids needed to operate the vehicle which would include gas. Full tank of gas is approximately 216lbs.

I've looked at it ten different ways trying to see where and how the numbers got there.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:20 PM
No where does Ford state weights for the specific trim levels.
Here is everything you ever wanted to know about weights and payloads of specific trim levels and option contents:

Page 8 starts with the trims and it goes on from there onto each option weight...

2012 Truck Payload Actual Regular Production Option Contents Weights

link: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...Payload_SB.pdf

I guarantee if Toyota lists only one payload for each trim that won't be accurate either as each truck will have different options.

Last edited by Rambo; 10-23-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:26 PM
As far as I know the tire and loading sticker assumes all fluids needed to operate the vehicle which would include gas. Full tank of gas is approximately 216lbs.

I've looked at it ten different ways trying to see where and how the numbers got there.
So you have the 36 gallon tank then.

I haven't looked at my sticker in a while, but I thought the available payload did NOT include fuel, meaning you had to subtract the fuel weight from the available payload, but I could be wrong. FYI, the payload on my F250 diesel is 1999 lbs.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
So you have the 36 gallon tank then.

I haven't looked at my sticker in a while, but I thought the available payload did NOT include fuel, meaning you had to subtract the fuel weight from the available payload, but I could be wrong. FYI, the payload on my F250 diesel is 1999 lbs.
See the link above. Payload is not affected by fuel or fluids. It is only affected by the options. Considering he went with a 4x4 Platinum on 20's non-Heavy-Duty and fully loaded, 1500+ lbs is not a bad payload. A comparable Ram Laramie LongHorn starts at a 1,145 lb payload before taking off for options.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Rambo
See the link above. Payload is not affected by fuel or fluids. It is only affected by the options.
Gotcha...thanks for the link BTW. Great info!

Considering he went with a 4x4 Platinum on 20's non-Heavy-Duty and fully loaded, 1500+ lbs is not a bad payload. A comparable Ram Laramie LongHorn starts at a 1,145 lb payload before taking off for options.
Agreed! It's a half-ton, for crying out loud, capable of hauling 3/4 ton of payload.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:01 PM
In addition to the payload guide above, Ford does state the payloads for each trim level online. It is called Build And Price!

Build a F-150 Platinum 4x4 EB online and it lists the payload for this trim level at 1,520 lbs. His door jam reads 1,530 lbs. So in actuality he got 10 lbs more than advertised!

Old 10-23-2012, 03:02 PM

Did you change shocks, tires, or wheels since you bought it? Did you add any tools, etc to the truck? Is there anything under the seat? Does your glove box or console have anything in them? Those might sound petty, but they all add to your curb weight.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:05 PM
We know he added larger heavier tires before going down to the scale.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:17 PM
In addition to the payload guide above, Ford does state the payloads for each trim level online. It is called Build And Price!

Build a F-150 Platinum 4x4 EB online and it lists the payload for this trim level at 1,520 lbs. His door jam reads 1,530 lbs. So in actuality he got 10 lbs more than advertised!
On the "Build and Price" feature on the ford website... where does it say the payload capacity? I'm curious about this for my own truck which I do not have yet - but I don't not see a payload figure at the summary page. Do I need to look somewhere else?

Last edited by semperfif150; 10-23-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:37 PM
There is no payload specification on the build and price feature that I know of. All I was able to go off of was the online specifications for the truck model I have.

I did put 285/55/20 tires on the truck, they are only 11lbs heavier per tire, so roughly 44lbs. Shocks I put bilstein HD shocks... they weigh identical to the stock shocks, these were also only done on the rear of the truck, everything else was left stock. I do not carry much in the truck that would seem petty.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Here is everything you ever wanted to know about weights and payloads of specific trim levels and option contents:

Page 8 starts with the trims and it goes on from there onto each option weight...

2012 Truck Payload Actual Regular Production Option Contents Weights

link: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...Payload_SB.pdf
Have you been able to find this document for the 2013's? I've looked and looked and so far have not found it online.... maybe it's not up yet however. 2012 may be close enough to the 2013 however.

Quick Reply: Max Tow vs Heavy Duty Payload