2009 - 2014 F-150

Max Tow vs Heavy Duty Payload

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prime81
There is no payload specification on the build and price feature that I know of. All I was able to go off of was the online specifications for the truck model I have.

I did put 285/55/20 tires on the truck, they are only 11lbs heavier per tire, so roughly 44lbs. Shocks I put bilstein HD shocks... they weigh identical to the stock shocks, these were also only done on the rear of the truck, everything else was left stock. I do not carry much in the truck that would seem petty.
I'm curious what your door jam sticker says for the payload rating.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Old 10-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Rambo

Interesting. I have seen that... however, for the supercab lariat the payload seems correct, but the towing seems way low. Only 9700 LBS. Switching to a crewcab it goes to 11,200... which doesn't seem to make sense. Also, that figure there doesn't take into account the other options like the chrome package which has lighter wheels etc... which may add a few pounds though.

howver, this is a good number to see because it's pretty much what I calculated so my calculations aren't probably that far off... even though I don't have the truck yet. Once I get that... then I will know for sure!

Old 10-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by semperfif150
I'm curious what your door jam sticker says for the payload rating.
He posted already that his yellow sticker is ~ #1500. After he actually weighed his rig, he's calculated only ~ #1300..

He feels cheated because he looked at a chart that listed "MAX" payload for his cab/drive train at ~ #1900... So, he goes out and gets a top of the line equipped truck, and even with the 'max tow' it falls short of that chart...

The chart lists what your "MAX" payload could be if properly equipped.. Not what YOUR truck is going to have..

Anyway, he's made up his mind that he has a POS and by what he describes of it, it is...

I'd be pissed too.. Not because of the payload deal.. But, because it runs like crap...

Mitch

Old 10-24-2012, 12:50 AM
The build and price site says 1520.

His actual payload sticker says 1530.

All the online payload chart tells you is the payload maximum is 1900, meaning the most possible, not your specific number. He knew this when he bought the truck.

He admitted in the another thread started today in the V6 engine forum that he KNEW that the payload could be less the maxmum stated amounts. If so, and he needed or wanted a certain amount of payload, why didn't he just look at the payload sticker at purchase?

I just think he is using the payload as an excuse because he has buyer's remorse due to other issues. The payload he knew all about and could have been easily avoided but he just got caught up in the moment.

I hope he gets the other issue resolved or gets what he wants. He should also keep documentation of the attempted fixes. But the Tundra with less payload is not going to solve the payload numbers.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:14 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
I also feel this sums it up:

Anyway, he's made up his mind that he has a POS and by what he describes of it, it is...

I'd be pissed too.. Not because of the payload deal.. But, because it runs like crap...
He's already towed heavy with it and it did a great job.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:15 AM
And so far the mileage on the F150 has not impressed and has been on average the same as the Tundra.
From another thread of yours....

"Here she is with the new tires, Absolutely no rubbing lock to lock. Currently running at 40 PSI, capable of running 80 PSI. So far the ecoboost has been very nice, mileage I am consistently getting 19.5 at around 68 mph. Hauling my boat she gets 13-13.5mpg doing 60 mph. My tundra hauling the same boat was getting around 8-10mpg."

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ictures-2.html

I was fully anticipating being able to tow a light fifth wheel without much issue.
Ford says the 5th wheel is not compatible with your truck anyway, 145" wb CrewCab....So the fact you don't have enough payload is a non-issue as Ford said it wasn't capatible to being with. You didn't do your home work.

From Ford: "
2) Vehicles equipped with 5.5' box will accept a 5th-wheel hitch, but current 5th-wheel trailer designs are not compatible with
these models (133" wb. SuperCab and 145" wb. Crew Cab)."

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...rv&tt_f150.pdf

Might as well get my Tundra back.
Yes, you might as well.

Your Tundra 1330 lb payload.

This F-150 1530 lb payload.

I found a good michelin tire that produces no hum, it's the LT275/65/20 Load range E LTX AT2's. But it is a pricey tire. .
I'll also add that the larger tires could be affecting mileage. Going from a 31" tire to a 34" tire will affect mileage. If your mileage went down the larger heavier tires could be the issue. In another post you said you would swap the tires for 285's. I don't know which size you have but they are both larger. All I know is you don't have stock size tires anymore and the dealer cannot reprogram a tire that is not a stock size. If you went in for a reflash they could have wiped out any of what was done by an outside local tire dealer if anything was done at all I don't think it was.

One final thing. The scale weight is all screwed up because you forgot to add for the tires, different shocks, the bed mat, tool box and whatever else you have in the truck. 50 lbs here, 50 lbs there, etc. It all adds up. Plus the scales are not all accurate. The scales can be a couple percentage points off.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-pictures.html

I hope you can get this resolved and can move on.

Last edited by bluegreenf150; 10-24-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by bluegreenf150
From another thread of yours....

"Here she is with the new tires, Absolutely no rubbing lock to lock. Currently running at 40 PSI, capable of running 80 PSI. So far the ecoboost has been very nice, mileage I am consistently getting 19.5 at around 68 mph. Hauling my boat she gets 13-13.5mpg doing 60 mph. My tundra hauling the same boat was getting around 8-10mpg."

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ictures-2.html

Ford says the 5th wheel is not compatible with your truck anyway, 145" wb CrewCab....So the fact you don't have enough payload is a non-issue as Ford said it wasn't capatible to being with. You didn't do your home work.

From Ford: "
2) Vehicles equipped with 5.5' box will accept a 5th-wheel hitch, but current 5th-wheel trailer designs are not compatible with
these models (133" wb. SuperCab and 145" wb. Crew Cab)."

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...rv&tt_f150.pdf

Yes, you might as well.

Your Tundra 1330 lb payload.

This F-150 1530 lb payload.

I'll also add that the larger tires could be affecting mileage. Going from a 31" tire to a 34" tire will affect mileage. If your mileage went down the larger heavier tires could be the issue. In another post you said you would swap the tires for 285's. I don't know which size you have but they are both larger. All I know is you don't have stock size tires anymore and the dealer cannot reprogram a tire that is not a stock size. If you went in for a reflash they could have wiped out any of what was done by an outside local tire dealer if anything was done at all I don't think it was.

One final thing. The scale weight is all screwed up because you forgot to add for the tires, different shocks, the bed mat, tool box and whatever else you have in the truck. 50 lbs here, 50 lbs there, etc. It all adds up. Plus the scales are not all accurate. The scales can be a couple percentage points off.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-pictures.html

I hope you can get this resolved and can move on.
I don't have the larger tires on the vehicle I swapped them out because of the mileage and size was too much I think, and did not have them on when I weighed the vehicle. I have 285/55/20 which is essentially the same size tire and the weight is only 11lbs per tire different.

The mileage USED to be good, and has gone downhill over the last several weeks. This last week I was barely able to get 9.5mpg pulling the same boat, and am averaging around 15-16mpg on the highway now.

Effectively I had no extra weight in the truck other than gas when I weighed the truck because GASP I know everything adds up(no bed mats, no interior clutter items, no toolbox in the bed), I'm not a dumbass. The scale I used is a certifed scale that is used to weigh semi trucks for registering DOT purposes. Regardless after weighing, the F150 is within 50lbs of the Tundra ACTUAL payload capacity. I'm not going off the door bull**** lie numbers, I'm taking the GVWR minus the actual weight of both trucks. And I might add that my Tundra already has a bakflip cover on the bed which technically adds more weight than the f150.

The last part about the hitch... actually you can tow a fifth wheel with a short box... it's called a slider hitch and has been around for a long time. Perfectly safe and millions of short bed trucks on the road with them. So I did do my homework, my only mistake was not actually taking the damn truck down to a scale before I bought it.

And the engine issues just add to the iceberg.

Last edited by prime81; 10-24-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Suspended

I don't have the larger tires on the vehicle I swapped them out because of the mileage and size was too much I think, and did not have them on when I weighed the vehicle. I have 285/55/20 which is essentially the same size tire and the weight is only 11lbs per tire different.

11lb x 4 is a significant change in weight. Nearly 25% weight added.

The mileage USED to be good, and has gone downhill over the last several weeks. This last week I was barely able to get 9.5mpg pulling the same boat, and am averaging around 15-16mpg on the highway now.

Tires I bet are the cause. Those larger tires are causing your motor to hold boost longer to make up for the extra work of the tires. In turn, Mileage goes down.

Effectively I had no extra weight in the truck other than gas when I weighed the truck because GASP I know everything adds up(no bed mats, no interior clutter items, no toolbox in the bed), I'm not a dumbass. Debatable...

Last edited by 06yz250f; 02-18-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Posting TMI always comes back to bite ya in the ****.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:13 PM

Effectively I had no extra weight in the truck other than gas when I weighed the truck because GASP I know everything adds up(no bed mats, no interior clutter items, no toolbox in the bed), I'm not a dumbass. The scale I used is a certifed scale that is used to weigh semi trucks for registering DOT purposes. Regardless after weighing, the F150 is within 50lbs of the Tundra ACTUAL payload capacity. I'm not going off the door bull**** lie numbers, I'm taking the GVWR minus the actual weight of both trucks. And I might add that my Tundra already has a bakflip cover on the bed which technically adds more weight than the f150.

The last part about the hitch... actually you can tow a fifth wheel with a short box... it's called a slider hitch and has been around for a long time. Perfectly safe and millions of short bed trucks on the road with them. So I did do my homework, my only mistake was not actually taking the damn truck down to a scale before I bought it.

And the engine issues just add to the iceberg.
So you did have the larger 34" tires on it at one time and were getting bad mileage which was used in part for the average mpg you calculated. Now you have 285/55/20 - these are still larger than the stock tires and the speedo will be 1.4% off, not to mention all kinds of other issues they cause. You went through 3 sets of tires already on a brand new truck. This in addition to bailing on the HD truck shows you don't do your homework on anything. You just buy.

I don't believe you at all with your Tundra comparisons. I think you have a vendetta against Ford for the misfiring issues. I'll also add that Toyota accounts for a heavier driver with the J2807 guidelines - I think they use 200 lbs and Ford is 150 lbs. So that could be throwing things off there.

If we are to believe the scale is accurate and the numbers you are telling are the truth, there is very little difference in the weights.

1530 lb payload sticker - 1370 your calculations at the scale (accurate? Maybe. Maybe not) but that is only 160 lbs

160 - 50 for the tires (Accurate? Not sure how you came up with that number. You didn't weigh each tire and wheel combo inflated and don't have the stock tires anymore. But we will use that figure.)

160 - 50 = 110 lbs.

110 lb - 40 for the bed mat (I don't believe you took it out because you didn't take out the one on the Tundra) = 70 lbs. 70 lbs on a 6000 lb truck is 1%. If hauling and towing within 70 lbs of the max means everything to you, you did not do your homework and bought the wrong set up. It is true that these scales can be off, certified means nothing.

You said you did all of your homework, but you obviously didn't because you didn't look at the MAX payload chart correctly, didn't look at the payload at the dealer, didn't ask any questions, you went through 3 sets of tires on a brand new truck, etc. If you have all of this experience in towing you should have done your homework on the payload and proper setup. You originally had the HD Payload truck on order so you knew you needed that kind of HD truck, but went in another direction when you saw all of the bells and whistles on the Platinum.

From the other thread on the new E rated tires...
Here she is with the new tires, Absolutely no rubbing lock to lock. Currently running at 40 PSI, capable of running 80 PSI.
Under-inflated tires can also lower gas mileage.

Last edited by bluegreenf150; 10-24-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by bluegreenf150
So you did have the larger 34" tires on it at one time and were getting bad mileage which was used in part for the average mpg you calculated. Now you have 285/55/20 - these are still larger than the stock tires and the speedo will be 1.4% off, not to mention all kinds of other issues they cause. You went through 3 sets of tires already on a brand new truck. This in addition to bailing on the HD truck shows you don't do your homework on anything. You just buy.

I don't believe you at all with your Tundra comparisons. I think you have a vendetta against Ford for the misfiring issues. I'll also add that Toyota accounts for a heavier driver with the J2807 guidelines - I think they use 200 lbs and Ford is 150 lbs. So that could be throwing things off there.

If we are to believe the scale is accurate and the numbers you are telling are the truth, there is very little difference in the weights.

1530 lb payload sticker - 1370 your calculations at the scale (accurate? Maybe. Maybe not) but that is only 160 lbs

160 - 50 for the tires (Accurate? Not sure how you came up with that number. You didn't weigh each tire and wheel combo inflated and don't have the stock tires anymore. But we will use that figure.)

160 - 50 = 110 lbs.

110 lb - 40 for the bed mat (I don't believe you took it out because you didn't take out the one on the Tundra) = 70 lbs. 70 lbs on a 6000 lb truck is 1%. If hauling and towing within 70 lbs of the max means everything to you, you did not do your homework and bought the wrong set up. It is true that these scales can be off, certified means nothing.

You said you did all of your homework, but you obviously didn't because you didn't look at the MAX payload chart correctly, didn't look at the payload at the dealer, didn't ask any questions, you went through 3 sets of tires on a brand new truck, etc. If you have all of this experience in towing you should have done your homework on the payload and proper setup. You originally had the HD Payload truck on order so you knew you needed that kind of HD truck, but went in another direction when you saw all of the bells and whistles on the Platinum.

From the other thread on the new E rated tires...

Under-inflated tires can also lower gas mileage.
The tires add a total of 44lbs to the entire truck, if an engine with 420 torque can't handle a 1% change ... that's just makes me laugh.

The HD was not bailed on... the stealership told us two sets of numbers and ended up losing the sale because they were not budging on price. My homework consisted of looking at the numbers Ford has posted, I did not look at the sticker or weigh the truck before I bought it.

The original tires were on the truck less than 2 days, the bigger 34inch tires were on the truck for about a week, the current tires which are only 44lbs heavier on the entire truck are actually performing well. Original gas mileage hand calculated was 19.5 with the 285/55/20 tires, and has gone down over the last couple of weeks. This is not uncommon with the EB, do a google and you can find all kinds of issues.

Underinflated? are you an idiot? You don't run 80psi in a tire with no load, that's absolutely stupid. Underinflated is the tire bowing in on the tread from the weight of the vehicle. My tires are at 40psi and are more than inflated enough to maintain gas mileage and treadware. Do your research on tires before you start knocking things down like an idiot.

1530 - 44 does not = 1370... nothing else was on or in the truck at time of weighing. This same scale weighed my Tundra and the numbers were almost dead on.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Suspended
You do realize it's october and winter blend gas is coming into play right?

Last edited by 06yz250f; 02-18-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
You do realize it's october and winter blend gas is coming into play right?
It's west texas... still getting into the low 90s. Aint no such thing as winter blend around here.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:13 PM
The HD was not bailed on... the stealership told us two sets of numbers and ended up losing the sale because they were not budging on price. My homework consisted of looking at the numbers Ford has posted, I did not look at the sticker or weigh the truck before I bought it.
The HD was bailed on as your truck does not have the HD package. You could have bought one elsewhere or ordered another one. But you bought the Platinum. Your homework was sketchy to say the least. I don't believe that you just looked at the chart but even if you did the payload chart is for the MAX, meaning the most possible, not what yours will be. You didn't look at the towing guide or the sticker or ask questions.

Towing guide says not to a tow 5th wheel with a 5.5' crewcab short bed. This is not just due to the size of the bed but also due to the ratings. As a general rule, half-ton pickups do not have enough GVWR to tow a 5er of any kind. There are exceptions, such the F-150 with the HD payload pkg which are only available in LONG beds.

Underinflated? are you an idiot? You don't run 80psi in a tire with no load, that's absolutely stupid. Underinflated is the tire bowing in on the tread from the weight of the vehicle. My tires are at 40psi and are more than inflated enough to maintain gas mileage and treadware. Do your research on tires before you start knocking things down like an idiot.
We were talking about towing mpg. The tires are under-inflated. At 40 psi, that LT E tire does not have load carrying ability. The recommended pressure for those F150s that come with E tires is 50-60 psi. Only the C tires are recommended for 40 - 45 psi. Even that 40 unoaded is a bit low. You would do better at a minimum of 45.

In the other thread you said...
Since the specs say 1900lbs on ford's website, I figured I would be close to around 1700-1800lbs
Why would you figure around 1700? All you had to do was just look at the payload sticker. My guess is you forgot or were happy with the pyalod in the beginning, but now you changed your mind. Your actual was 1530. Even if it was 1800 that's still not enough for a 5'ever. Most king pin weights for the smallest 5th wheels are around 1400 lbs. 150 lbs for a 5'er hitch. That leaves only 250 lbs for yourself, all of your passengers, equipment, all of your cargo, and gear. Not enough. You had it right the first time with HD Payload Package, but blew it on the Platinum. It looks really nice, but it is not made for towing the biggest loads and you knew this but went ahead with it anyway.

Last edited by bluegreenf150; 10-24-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Max Tow vs Heavy Duty Payload