2009 - 2014 F-150

remote start options

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remote start options

Thinking of adding remote start to my 09 XLT I have looked at a few options in Viper kits and also just taking it to the dealer and having it installed. What systems are you guys using and what do you suggest?

Old 12-16-2012, 05:57 PM
I use the astrostart in my fusion, and I really like it. 1 mi range and smartphone app to start, basically has all the functionality I want. I wouldnt recommend the OEM autostart for you, as you have an XLT. Since you dont have things like auto hvac and heated seats, there is no reason to go with the OEM. Best of luck!

Old 12-16-2012, 07:48 PM
If you want the cleanest solution, you can get the Series 100 Plug n Play Remote Start for ~$180. It comes with two new keys. Installing yourself isn't too difficult, but you have to take the vehicle to the dealer to have it activated in the PCM. A locksmith can cut the keys and you can program them yourself. You'll also need the hood safety switch. Many trucks come with it from the factory (mine did) it's a momentary switch mounted on the Driver side Fender near the lower mount for the gas strut.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:38 PM
I just got an Avital 4301 installed locally for $415 out the door. I am happy with it. The remote has keyless entry as a bonus.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Gerrard155
Since you dont have things like auto hvac and heated seats, there is no reason to go with the OEM. Best of luck!
Gerrard in reading you post I'm assuming that if I go with a OEM remote start that it will work my auto hvac and heated seats when used? Thanks for setting me straight. Btw I have a 2010 FX4 with auto hvac and heated seats, I miss the auto start. My 07 burb had the auto start and I never had to pre set anything, it knew if the a/c or heat was needed along with the heated seats. Thanks for your input.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by Cruiser64
Gerrard in reading you post I'm assuming that if I go with a OEM remote start that it will work my auto hvac and heated seats when used? Thanks for setting me straight. Btw I have a 2010 FX4 with auto hvac and heated seats, I miss the auto start. My 07 burb had the auto start and I never had to pre set anything, it knew if the a/c or heat was needed along with the heated seats. Thanks for your input.
The oem remote start should be able to trigger your auto hvac and heated seats. In the newer(2011 up) F150's I know its a setting you can adjust in the DIC, not sure about the 09-10's.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 AM
Go OEM. I have remote start and it works fine and has good range. I can adjust my settings as Gerrard put it. Not sure about the 09-10

Old 12-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Standard dash heater defrost no heated seats looked at a Viper start only kit but then i have 2 remotes for the truck. With work keys house keys and the set for the wife's car my key ring is huge already. One of the systems I looked at would cover her car and my truck. Every time I get close to a decision I realize I am at or near what the dealer quoted me for a factory system.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by 1mainiac
Standard dash heater defrost no heated seats looked at a Viper start only kit but then i have 2 remotes for the truck. With work keys house keys and the set for the wife's car my key ring is huge already. One of the systems I looked at would cover her car and my truck. Every time I get close to a decision I realize I am at or near what the dealer quoted me for a factory system.
I think you'll be happiest with the Series 100, you're going to have a key to your pickup anyway, might as well get the Remote Start kit that doesn't add a remote (The key heads are the remote).

Old 12-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by 1mainiac
You know the stealership prices can be negotiable... go in there and tell them you got a similar price on a non-oem set up will they match it or beat it... if they are the same price or really close I'd go OEM everytime... I'd know ford will stand behind their product and install work, vs some fly by night car audio shop hacking into my wiring harness...

Old 12-19-2012, 03:46 PM
I have a Compustar unit.

Here is my review.

http://www.theeverydayguy.com/review...ote-start.html

It's a two-way system..I can start from my desk, which is about 200 yards from my truck in the lot...not line of sight either. I can monitor cabin temperature, etc as well.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:18 PM
I went online to Ford and found a series 100 system with the remote start and lock unlock in the key. I quoted me 289.00 installed at my dealer so today I called to see about scheduling it and had to leave a message. They called me back and quoted me 349 bucks for a 1 button Viper system which I can get installed for 149 at any radio store in town. I told him about the Ford website linked to his dealership and the price quoted on the web he said he would look into it and call me back that was 4 hours ago not real impressed.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Well 2 days into runaround and BS I have talked to 3 dealerships now and have come to the conclusion none of them have a clue. The Ford website I was on linked me to all 3 dealerships and gave me installed prices for each one. Everyone of them told me the systems listed by Ford on the website linked to them was wrong except one I don't want and even that one they doubled the price on. One Ford tech I talked to said the difference between the Ford system and the Viper was less range and double the money. He also said they would not install any Ford system anymore because every customer they had done in the last 2 years hated it. That it also was a lot to pay to get a Ford Emblem on a Key Fob you will not like. This is the system I wanted http://accessories.ford.com/remote-s...try-alarm.html
But I may have to install it myself however all 3 Dealers said it won't work on my truck. I am not worried about a lot of features or long range my thought on using a Ford system was to not have bubba at the stereo shop cutting the wires in my truck.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:29 PM
I had the 'cheapo' oe remote start installed before takin delivery.

Since I had already shown interest in buying, the RSS was installed for $50, my total cost was $85.

Works well enough for my purposes but I did opt for the 'Fobbed Key' so I only have to carry a key in my pocket.

They did charge me $100 extra for the special key (now I have 4 ignition keys) but for $185 for everthang, I'm happy.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:21 AM
If you have Remote Keyless entry on your vehicle, the Series 100 will work. Do you have Remote Keyless entry already?

Quick Reply: remote start options