2009 - 2014 F-150

2011 F150 SYNC not working right.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 F150 SYNC not working right.

We are new to this Sync. We came from Dogde's uconnect and their Nav (very easy and simply to use) to the Sync system and Ford's nav which is a pain in the **** to say the least.

Here is our issue:

We can sync a phone without issue. We can make a call through the sync. However, all we hear in the truck is a slight hum and all the person we call can not here us. If I click the privacy tab I can talk normal to the person through the phone. Turn the privacy tab off and it is back to humming and nobody can hear.

2nd issue.

Every time we try to play bluetooth audio by using sync command "Bluetooth audio" it tries to find the device and in doing so gives us the message " Bluetooth device disconnected". Then I have to go back into the phone thing and re-connect the phone.

2011 F150 out of warranty. We have only had the truck a few weeks.

I gotta get this fixed.... we love the truck but this is making my wife want to sell it and get back in a Dodge..... Leave it to Microsoft to make something a pain!

Last edited by mustangguy289; 01-09-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you try a different device (another phone of a different brand, or newer). Perhaps your phone is the problem.......

Just fishing, and a second device would eliminate or confirm my theory. I went away from my old Iphone 3G shortly after I bought my '10. My Microsoft Sync HATED that iphone.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:59 AM
We have tried an Iphone 3, Samsung Galaxy SIII, and a Iphone 5. Have tried unpairing and re-pairing multiple times.

My iphone 3 works great in my 2013 Mustang GT. Both bluetooth audio and phone functions work as they should (no-nav in that car).

Old 01-10-2013, 09:15 AM
Any chance you've already checked syncmyride.com for updates to your Sync system? You basically download the files to a thumb drive and can update the software in your driveway.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by sharper4
Any chance you've already checked syncmyride.com for updates to your Sync system? You basically download the files to a thumb drive and can update the software in your driveway.
I found the update late last night so I am going to first pull fuse for 5 minutes then install the update and see if that helps. Not sure when I am going to do it because the truck goes into the shop today for a new Catalytic convertor, intercooler, and ECU upgrade. (The TSB for when your code throws the p0430 code). Luckily that is covered under warranty. For future reference all of the emissions and turbo stuff is covered for 7 yrs/70k miles even though the dealerships may try to say they aren't.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Cool

I had the same problems with my phone at first. Dealer said the problem was the phone. Verizon said it was the truck. Found out after much looking that Sync/Nav system will not pair up to all phones. Go to the sync website and look for a list of "approved", or "known to work with" phones. I'm not a computer guy so I don't know the correct terms. My Samsung "type" was on the list, but not my specific model. I still have problems from time to time. I have to shut the phone off and then turn it back on, then if it doesn't reconnect I have to do it manualy. Over all I have no other problems. As for the volume. Make sure that the master volume on your phone is turned up after you connect. I found that out by accident. I was holding the phone when I connected and hit the volume button, and noticed the "volume bars" on the Nav. screen going up. And check the volume setting on the Nav. system when you connect the phone. I think that's where you adjust the screen brightness and stuff. I hope that helps some.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:01 PM
The sync connects and I can make a call thru it...I just can't hear the people and they cant hear me. Both phones work in our Mustang with sync and my parents have a navigator with sync and the same phone.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:41 PM
I did the update via a USB drive and it works great now. Thanks everyone. Free and took about 10 minutes!

Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Good to hear. I love Sync, when it works. I've had my share of issues with it. The wife's fusion has never had an issue... just weird.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by jntibs
Good to hear. I love Sync, when it works. I've had my share of issues with it. The wife's fusion has never had an issue... just weird.
Sync is alright... It is a typical Microsoft product... they build in so many features that it makes it a pain for 99% of users. Dodge's Uconnect is much easier to use but we are figuring this Sync out.

Quick Reply: 2011 F150 SYNC not working right.