2009 - 2014 F-150

Sync update BS

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sync update BS

Dropped my 10 Plt to dealer this am for tire rotation and oil change. Get a call and was told the Sync system has an update available. Ok, go ahead. Then told it would be $100.
What kind of BS is this? $100!?
I'm not having any problems with Sync so I told the service manager, forget it.
Just rags my *** when people act like you are an idiot. Oh yeah!, Go ahead and install some useless update that I am sure you can never tell the difference! Then ,btw, go ahead and add a nice little $100 tip on for yourself.
Total BS
Pretty much every electronic gadget you buy now, has free on-line updates that you install yourself. Computers, phones, programmers, you name it
Should this be free or am I wrong here?

Old 01-22-2013, 02:12 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like you can do it via USB.

http://support.ford.com/sync-technol...es-sync#reload

I know I was able to update my Wranglers U-connect via USB.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:36 PM
I think that was the point the op was getting at-why should he pay the dealerto do it when he can for free. While I would never pay to have someone do it, I can understand why the dealer does this. There are still a lot of people who dont understand or care about technology and dont want to have to deal with it. Many of those people would pay just to not have to deal with it....

Old 01-22-2013, 03:21 PM
Precisely

Old 01-22-2013, 06:26 PM
I agree. At least for the first year or the factory warranty is over they should provide a means to update the PCM and Navs, as well as the Sync.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:10 PM
I have a 2013 with the whole My Ford Touch and I was having issues with some of the screens and I sent it to the dealership and had it fixed under a recall for free with an update. I dont know if it affects the older sync systems though.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Well, here is an update on the Sync saga.
I get my truck back today. great.
No I go to the Sync website and it says right there that I am eligible for an update. Better yet, it just has to be downloaded to a USB thumb drive and it is free. So far so good. Well, after doing all the registration BS, I click on the update. TaDa! The update is instead, a update authorization form which I have to print and take to my dealer and THEY have to install the update. ARE YOU FREAKIN JOKING?
Now remember, I just went to my dealer and told him that I was eligible for a Sync update, and after he looked at me like I had asked him the square root of pi, he called me and told me it would be $100.
If they told me Henry Ford was going to be there and shake my hand and install the update himself, I wouldnt go back!
Just thought I would give you all an update.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:06 AM
I did the same thing with my 2010, but I first called and asked if there would be a charge before I scheduled an appointment. The service rep. to whom I spoke said she thought it would be like a "recall" and it would be covered by Ford. I took the truck in with my "certificate" and, when it was done, they called me to say the charge was $100...which I challenged. Long story short, they checked with the clerk who scheduled my appointment and called me back and said that they'd cover it.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:01 AM
If your truck is under warranty and you have a good relationship with your dealer tell them you are having conectivity issues, your calls are hard to hear by the other person you are talking too, etc. something that is hard for them to duplicate and the first repair option is always a reprogram before any hard parts are installed. That was the advise I got from a Ford Tech friend.

Does anyone have the latest update?
Does it fix the problem with Iphones and not getting a text message alert when paired?

Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Just had SYNC updated to my MKS and F-150 and incurred no charges. Guess some dealers are more of shysters than others.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Not under warranty anymore. Not having any specific issues with the Sync. Just saw that an update was available so figured , " what the hell"

As far as good relationship, I've bought two f150s and a GT500 from them. I would hope that would make me eligible for a "good relationship"

Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Yup, running the 2009 software in mine and it does everthang it's supposed too, despite upgrading my handheld devices 3 times.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:56 PM
dr, were they referring to the Map? I know there is an annual charge for updated versions of the nav system map (the one that comes in the SD card case) but I've never heard of anyone charging for regular MFT/LMT updates?

Old 01-25-2013, 07:49 PM
No. The $100 charge was for Sync update alone. The Nav update is $200. Another racket in my opinion.
Don't get me wrong, wouldn't own any other truck but a Ford. Just think that updates such as this should be either free or a nominal fee only
JMO

Quick Reply: Sync update BS