2009 - 2014 F-150

5.0 SCT Custom tunes

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0 SCT Custom tunes

I have done tons of searching and I have come up with that 5 Star has good tuning products and reviews on the SCT platform. I like SCT and know how to use it and have always had good luck with it.

I just want to hear from anyone else who has other brand custom tunes for the 5.0 engine like: JLP, Livernois, VMP, MPT, PHP etc. And any other companys doing it.

I just want to get best and most out of my buck since thats what I'm using my income tax return on.

Any and all input is appreciated.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Sorry havent used any other of the tunes but have had amazing service and pruducts from mike at 5star

Old 01-28-2013, 11:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You'll get the best bang for the buck from 5star.....

Good turn around time
good customer service
good communication

Old 01-29-2013, 12:06 PM
I've heard nothing but good stuff out of the 5star guys. I should have gone that route instead of my Edge Evo HT tuner. It does what I need it to but I would like something more custom to my truck like a 5star tune. I'll probably be looking to get one later down the road.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:31 PM
VMP did my dyno tune on my 2008GT500. Dynoed at 601 horsepower at the rear wheels.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by 2004f1505.4x4
Sorry havent used any other of the tunes but have had amazing service and pruducts from mike at 5star
Originally Posted by 88racing
You'll get the best bang for the buck from 5star.....

Good turn around time
good customer service
good communication
Originally Posted by jooman07
I've heard nothing but good stuff out of the 5star guys. I should have gone that route instead of my Edge Evo HT tuner. It does what I need it to but I would like something more custom to my truck like a 5star tune. I'll probably be looking to get one later down the road.
Well all I hear is good things about 5 star, I may consider them but would still like to here from others with different brands as well.

Originally Posted by drswiger
VMP did my dyno tune on my 2008GT500. Dynoed at 601 horsepower at the rear wheels.
Damn, that nices numbers. What's all done to it?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Larger VMP throttle body, 75 injectors, pully swap and ford Roush supercharger. My dyno pull at VMP is on youtube

Trending Topics

Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 PM
Check out this video on YouTube:

Old 01-29-2013, 06:03 PM

http://youtu.be/UzMaDo0D4-4
Very nice. I have a 2011 GT500 with a KB 2.9 and it made 733rwhp on pump gas. Absolutely love these cars!!!!

As for tuning on these trucks, I have another vote for 5 Star. Just talked to Mike today and ordered a CAI/Tuner for my 5.0L. I can report back after the weekend on the actual tunes. Excellent customer service and always has time for his customers.

The one thing I have found in my years of doing cars.... find the people who specialize in your vehicle and use them. Each vehicle model is a different beast and just because someone is a great tuner on a Mustang, doesn't necessarily mean they have the Truck 5.0's nailed. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 PM
I absolutley love my jlp tune!! very quick on email responses and quick service!

Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 PM
I have 5star tunes as well as one email tune from jlp... Jlp's power is wayyyy more noticeable than the 5star tunes, the perfect tune would be mikes drivability/shifts with Jlp's power... These are the mods on The 2012 super crew... an intake tune exhaust tb and header truck...

Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Larger VMP throttle body, 75 injectors, pully swap and ford Roush supercharger. My dyno pull at VMP is on youtube

http://youtu.be/UzMaDo0D4-4
That's real nice. Good looking car. Makes me wish I had my car done.

Originally Posted by niceguy
Very nice. I have a 2011 GT500 with a KB 2.9 and it made 733rwhp on pump gas. Absolutely love these cars!!!!

As for tuning on these trucks, I have another vote for 5 Star. Just talked to Mike today and ordered a CAI/Tuner for my 5.0L. I can report back after the weekend on the actual tunes. Excellent customer service and always has time for his customers.

The one thing I have found in my years of doing cars.... find the people who specialize in your vehicle and use them. Each vehicle model is a different beast and just because someone is a great tuner on a Mustang, doesn't necessarily mean they have the Truck 5.0's nailed. Just my 2 cents.
Well I may have to get multiple ones from different tuners then if just to try for myself.

Originally Posted by JustA5.0
I absolutley love my jlp tune!! very quick on email responses and quick service!
What tune do you have 93 octane? Also do they sell the tuner as well or just tunes?

Originally Posted by Youngone2012
I have 5star tunes as well as one email tune from jlp... Jlp's power is wayyyy more noticeable than the 5star tunes, the perfect tune would be mikes drivability/shifts with Jlp's power... These are the mods on The 2012 super crew... an intake tune exhaust tb and header truck...
So from your experience if I want daily drive ability get the 5 star, and for plain fun and performance the jlp is where its at?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another vote for 5star. Everything has been improved by Mike. I tow a lot in the summer and require safe tuning. His 91 perf/tow on my 5.4 is night and day compared to the pathetic factory tuning. Mike does extensive real life tow tests before releasing his tunes, just call him and let him explain.

I believe 5star is offering full out performance tunes now, just ask him about it.

I too am curious about JLP and MPT. Both are getting great reviews.

I used VMP for a 91 perf/tow tune and it is good, but not great and the customer service has been disappointing to put it nicely. But lot's of happy folks on here with most of the tuners.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by cheef
Another vote for 5star. Everything has been improved by Mike. I tow a lot in the summer and require safe tuning. His 91 perf/tow on my 5.4 is night and day compared to the pathetic factory tuning. Mike does extensive real life tow tests before releasing his tunes, just call him and let him explain.

I believe 5star is offering full out performance tunes now, just ask him about it.

I too am curious about JLP and MPT. Both are getting great reviews.

I used VMP for a 91 perf/tow tune and it is good, but not great and the customer service has been disappointing to put it nicely. But lot's of happy folks on here with most of the tuners.
Yeah 5 star seems to be a real big winner from everyone

Glad to here something else on VMP. I too would like to here more on MPT.
I talked to a guy on f150 forum with a tune from Jon Lund and he said they have good customer service and there tune is real responsive.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:03 PM
JLP does offer sct with tunes already loaded that how i got mine. If you dont like the tune or wanna change something about his tunes just give him a email and will have you one the next day. Great customer service!!!!

I have three tunes for my truck! 93octane E85 and ghost cam tune

Quick Reply: 5.0 SCT Custom tunes