2009 - 2014 F-150

EcoBoost Trailer Tow Break-in

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EcoBoost Trailer Tow Break-in

Ordered a 2013 FX4 with EB motor. Delivery in mid March which is quite a bit earlier than expected. Read up on the owners manual and there is a 1000 mile no tow break in period that is recommended.

March is a big month for me in terms of spring walleye run. I generally tow my boat several times during this month.

I don't want to compromise the break in process but wondering what the technical reason is for the 1000 mile wait? My boat on the trailer weighs less than 2400# so it is nothing like pulling an RV.

Thx

Old 03-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are quite a few things that seat in during the early period of driving. Diff gearing, brakes, transmission, and engine parts. They all set their wear patterns early.

Last edited by kingfish51; 03-03-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:10 AM
i say hammer it for the first 100 to 200 miles and then you will be fine. its seams more and more shops do just that, it sets the rings and gears quicker. i have to say ever go to the drag races? all the top racers rebuild the engine after every run, and when there done they run the motor full throttle to seat every thing before the run! so it must be a good way to handle it.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
i say hammer it for the first 100 to 200 miles and then you will be fine. its seams more and more shops do just that, it sets the rings and gears quicker. i have to say ever go to the drag races? all the top racers rebuild the engine after every run, and when there done they run the motor full throttle to seat every thing before the run! so it must be a good way to handle it.
There is more to it than rings and pinion. There are clutches especially in the diff (if LS) and many clutches in the trannie. Those need to get the proper set before really working them hard. Same with brakes, although they should be set the first 100 miles.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:51 AM
Trailer break in period

I just bought my 2013 F150 3.5L ecoboost 3.55 ratio 4 days ago picked it up at 42 km. it's now sitting at 300 km after pulling a 6000lbs trailer around 150km in total. I drove the truck in variation of speeds but more consistent with the trailer. I've been reading some blogs about how some people having issues with their ecoboost engines, misfires and lack of power and stalling. The manual says not to pull any heavy loads until the 1600km range, am i ****ing up my break in period by pulling my trailer too soon??One thing I noticed was at a dead stop while pullin my trailer, as I accelerate in 1st there's a slight shake but than goes away right away before it hits second, only sometimes it does this. It doesn't do that at all without pulling the camper...
If anyone can help that'd be great!

Old 05-21-2013, 02:07 AM
Do you absolutely positively have to tow with the new truck? If not then why do it? The manual says 1,000 miles for a reason. I'm not trying to be a ****, but unless you HAVE to tow with, don't. If you do, then be easy on it. Although I baby my vehicles when I can.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:25 AM
1000 miles. Gosh, I was so excited about driving my truck that the 1st 1K went like a flash. Take a drive somwhere to get the feel of the handling of your truck and you'll be done.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:41 PM
I just put 1,000 on mine by driving to work and back for two weeks and a few longer drives on the weekends. Last weekend I hooked up the toy hauler with 1010 miles on the odometer. I figure better safe than sorry. Plus, I figured the dealer's computer could probably tell if you towed prior to 1k miles. Who knows? Again I played it safe.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:59 PM
I also have to do the 1k on my new Lariat I just bought. I actually bought it from a dealer 500 mile away and they drove it to me free of charge. I think that a person can tow after that, but my fear is what if something happens before the 1k while towing? Will Ford deny any warranty claim?

Old 06-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by benzo911
I also have to do the 1k on my new Lariat I just bought. I actually bought it from a dealer 500 mile away and they drove it to me free of charge. I think that a person can tow after that, but my fear is what if something happens before the 1k while towing? Will Ford deny any warranty claim?
I've got a '12 max tow Fx4 w/ EB and it has been a terrific. I saw that up to 4K the mpg was lower than expected, then suddenly improved a lot. I asked the service tech if its true that it is built into the programming, as I've seen many similar observations. He hadn't heard that, but said its plausible.

So, my take is not to expect the ultimate performance, but I think you should be fine. Your concern is that it fails in the next 500 miles of operation, which would be really surprising. Suggeest you take it lightly til you get to 4K, but use it for what you bought it for. Its a truck. But its also a fantastic truck! Enjoy!

Quick Reply: EcoBoost Trailer Tow Break-in