2009 - 2014 F-150

4 Door still doesn't have the room...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by L8 APEX
I like the Snuglid Rebel with the side Win-Doors, they open up to get to gear and they have the screened window for ventilation. I also have the front fold down slider for air. They can stay back there 85% of the year in the midwest. Only in the hottest part of summer do they have to come up front for A/C. Both crates have 10" Automotive cooling fans and in cab temp monitoring. I don't worry until it holds over 90 in the summer. The shell makes for excellent shade.

Why crate them in the truck? It's gotta be hot as hell
In them in the summer. We travelled years with litters of dogs in the back with aluminum toppers, and a mattress sideways across the bed bulkhead for us kids when we headed north. Granted, seat belts are mandatory for humans now, but where are your dogs going to go in the back with a topper?

Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
Why crate them in the truck? It's gotta be hot as hell
In them in the summer. We travelled years with litters of dogs in the back with aluminum toppers, and a mattress sideways across the bed bulkhead for us kids when we headed north. Granted, seat belts are mandatory for humans now, but where are your dogs going to go in the back with a topper?
They are safer in the crate than bouncing around in the back of the truck, especially if the crate is secured to prevent movement. It won't be appreciably hotter in the crate than in the back of the truck, and may actually feel cooler since each crate has a fan as he mentioned.

Our 13 lb rat terrier rides on the floorboard inside, or on my wife's lap.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:56 AM
I bet you wouldn't think that if you were in one of those stupid boxes in the back of a pickup at 89deg!

Old 03-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Back in the day (50's-60's) my Pop would load his two English Setters (Prized Bird Dogs) into the trunk of his Buick, drive from Michigan to N. Dakota, hunt his dogs for 10 days, then both dogs would hop back into the trunk for the 2 day trip back to Michigan.

Betcha Mitt's mutt got plenty of ventilation.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:42 AM
its alot safer in crates... especially if there was an accident. I got rear ended and ended up throwing my older dog all over the place.

love the bed setup! going to definitely look into that route. wife wants a SUV, i want to keep my truck

also looking into an auto-on air system. my exwife was k9 popo, and i loved the systems setup in the squad cars

Old 04-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Old 04-10-2013, 05:25 PM
You have a flat floor in the rear anyway, so I would vote to move the amp to the back wall behind the seat. There's plenty of room back there, as I helped my brother in-law mount his like this. No issues and it's been installed for over 2yrs now.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:37 PM
I put my amp on the back wall as well. If you take the back seat out, I would think that would gobs or room for two bigger dogs. I am not sure I am understanding the platform idea. Seems like that would harder for them to jump into since it would make the entry higher. I like the idea of the topper in the back. Dogs love fresh air to sniff.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 AM
normal dogs yes would have a problem.... but Rock can easily clear a 7 foot fence and Grunt can jump a 5 foot fence. I encourage controlled jumping whenever possible. will look into repositioning the amp. it's raining azzhole deep to a giraffe right now so....

Old 04-11-2013, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by crash_lucky13
normal dogs yes would have a problem.... but Rock can easily clear a 7 foot fence and Grunt can jump a 5 foot fence. I encourage controlled jumping whenever possible. will look into repositioning the amp. it's raining azzhole deep to a giraffe right now so....
That's an awesome phrase haha. But relocating the amp would probably be the cheapest route. On the 04-08's it's not too hard to do.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it sounds like a diff type of vehicle would have been better too, but why don't you just install the amp behind the rear seats so you can just lift the seat to give access to the floor?

Old 04-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
01-03 supercrew has folding forward rear seats that fold "flat"

Quick Reply: 4 Door still doesn't have the room...