2009 - 2014 F-150

Lift Kit vs Level Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackThunder12
I really like the stance on that truck thanks for the input. I also love that light bar. Has anyone done a rough country or any other brands that can say how they performed.

Desert Dawg you had said that there were many benefits of lifts over levels, what would some of them be? This will be my first lift or level of any kind and I have no idea what the benefit of one over the other would be.
'

You might be interested in this article to help get you started:

http://www.military.com/entertainmen...-upgrades.html

Typically, if most of your driving is on the street then leveling kits are cost effective ways to get enough lift to run aftermarket wheels and/or larger tires (usually up to 33.5 inches tall). You can take your vehicle off road but you'll need to be aware of the decreased wheel travel. But for the most part, you retain the factory ride and handling and have no new moving parts to maintain. However, you may cause premature wear on CV joints and possibly other components. But the big advantage is cost for up to 2.5 or 3 inches max lift (most people seem to settle on 1.5" to 2" spacer systems to get a level look and run 33 inch tall tires, or go with a front spacer/rear block system to also raise the rear end and retain a factory like rake especially if they tow).

If you want to get a more aggressive stance that usually includes larger tires and/or more negative offset wheels, and/or you do more than travel on dirt roads when "off-roading", you'll want a true suspension lift system (with a variety of heights) but it will also cost a lot more. The benefits are increased off-road performance, more aggressive stance (if wanted), and the better systems will maintain the factory steering geometry along with proper CV and driveshaft angles.

If you really want to do it right, you can go with a coilover system (e.q., Raptor) and/or combine aftermarket coilovers with a suspension lift. Of course, that can get really expensive.

I only want 2.5 to 3 inches max, but also want off road performance and decent quality street ride, so I am considering the coilover route like Icon Vehicle Dynamics Coilover system with Camburg UCAs. And if not, I would consider going back to the Rancho 4-inch system as it rode great on the street and off road (especially with the adjustable shocks), and looked great (not too high). Also, I wouldn't mind retaining my factory FX4 wheels with some BFG KM2s again.

No matter what you choose, make sure you research your wheel/tire selection for a proper fit (i.e., some folks stuff oversized tires with a leveling system and end up rubbing on the UCAs or spindles, and/or select a wheel with too much negative offset that necessitates a significant amount of body trimming). And always get an alignment after you install a leveling or suspension lift.

Last edited by Desert Dawg; 03-09-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:55 AM
By using spacers, you will lose the wheel upward travel by spacer size . you add 1 you lose 1. simple as that . and also stiffer ride. . the higher you go with a spacers the stiffer it will get. You said you go off roads ocationally and money is not a problem . 35 inch.tires Full 4 inch Rancho is the way to go. Or go 6 inch Procomp Stages 2 if you wanna go 37's for later . Good luck.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:35 AM
DDawg, you do nice work. I like all your trucks.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:23 PM
I have the Ready Lift 2" billet leveling kit on mine. I am a weekend warrior. Monday to Friday it's all on road driving. Weekends are mine. I do a lot of trips in the mountains and backroads. Some off roading, but nothing serious. I wanted a little more than the stock provided and still remained streetable. I have 275/65/20 tires on stock Platinum wheels. The tires are 34.1" tall and I don't have any rubbing. I had a similar setup on my 2005, so I know it works great for me.

Last edited by Rogue F150; 03-09-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by jlc41
DDawg, you do nice work. I like all your trucks.
Thanks jlc!

Old 03-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Desert Dawg always has nice set ups. DD, which tires are you currently running on the factory wheels? BFG KM2's mentioned above?

Old 03-10-2013, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by swiseuf
Desert Dawg always has nice set ups. DD, which tires are you currently running on the factory wheels? BFG KM2's mentioned above?
Thanks swiseuf. I am currently running Goodyear Duratracs (285/60R20s).

If I do eventually go back to the 4-inch Rancho again, or try out the Icon/Camburg setup, I'll probably change out to the KM2s.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks for all the help I really think that I am leaning toward the 4 inch Rancho. I wou go 6 inch procomp but I feel that since I have a child in a car seat the extra 2 inches of lift and the almost 2 inches of tires would make it much harder for me being 5' 10" to put the car seat in the middle of the back seat. Now to start saving my pennies to get the lift and tires.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Also as an FYI I am running Ultra Mavrick rims they are 17 x 8 with a 25 mm offset. Does anyone see where these wheels would be an issue with the Rancho Kit and running 35' s.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:22 PM

Thanks for all the help I really think that I am leaning toward the 4 inch Rancho. I wou go 6 inch procomp but I feel that since I have a child in a car seat the extra 2 inches of lift and the almost 2 inches of tires would make it much harder for me being 5' 10" to put the car seat in the middle of the back seat. Now to start saving my pennies to get the lift and tires.
definitely will have easier ingress/egress and access to the bed with the 4-inch lift versus 6-inch lift. And to be honest, I did not like my ProComp 6-inch system as much as either of my 4-inch systems as I had issues with the ProComp that drove me crazy (alignment and noises) but it may have been the quality of the install and/or my truck/setup a the time. But I do think you'll find the truck a lot more livable and usable on a daily basis with the 4-inch systems.

Also as an FYI I am running Ultra Mavrick rims they are 17 x 8 with a 25 mm offset. Does anyone see where these wheels would be an issue with the Rancho Kit and running 35' s.
I would call them to make sure, but I think you will be okay with an aftermarket 17-inch wheel with that offset.

Last edited by Desert Dawg; 03-10-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Lift Kit vs Level Kit