2009 - 2014 F-150

Help me decide between XLT and FX4

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DSGSTX81
After putting the flow through console in my truck, I don't think I could go back to the jumpseat setup--I just like the look too much. I've got less than a year left to pay on my truck, but I'm gonna wait for the NBS to see how they do--around the 2nd year I'll prolly park my Grey Ghost and get a new truck.

All that said, it'll be an FX, either 2 or 4 lol

... or just get the XLT with the captains seats and the center console...

its not the "same" as the FX since the shifter is still on the column, but it gives you all the comfort and features of the seats and center storage.

Well... one thing missing - it doesn't have the top air vents for the back seat. The only air vents in the back seat are at the floor.

Anyway - my old truck was an FX4, my new truck is an XLT. I couldn't justify the extra money for the FX4 this time...

Old 06-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the styling of the FX4 series the best. They also offer most of the features and packages I am interested in.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:58 PM
FX4 all the way. Its better looking, its got good off road 4 wheel drive. but you have to get the 402 a equip option its 5 grand more but sooooooo worth it. The appearance package is nice too.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:44 AM
XLT owners may be cheap, but FX4 owners are easy!

Old 06-06-2013, 02:31 PM
I am partial to the FX4, but from the options you are considering, I would go with the XLT. The Off-Road pkg will be exactly the same as the FX4. The interior might be a little nicer in the FX4, but not by much if the FX4 is not loaded. I wish my truck had the column shift. It just seems more "manly" to me. For a work truck a loaded XLT would be awesome. Upgrade to the Max Tow package, and forget the Chrome Package. The cheap looking ABS plastic chrome is what makes the truck look bad IMHO.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by mkosu04
... or just get the XLT with the captains seats and the center console...

its not the "same" as the FX since the shifter is still on the column, but it gives you all the comfort and features of the seats and center storage.

Well... one thing missing - it doesn't have the top air vents for the back seat. The only air vents in the back seat are at the floor.

Anyway - my old truck was an FX4, my new truck is an XLT. I couldn't justify the extra money for the FX4 this time...
Exactly what I was going to say. I have an XLT with the console. I rather like the shift on the column as I have room in front of the console to store things if I choose. Also it's less possibility that my child will dump a soft drink into my shifter.

I looked at an FX2 (I have no need for 4wd) and I loved the wheels and the HID headlamps, but the price difference was just too much for items that I could easily add on if I wanted to.

The rear air vents would be nice, and I guess when my rear seat passengers start helping me pay the payments I'll give a damn. LOL!

Old 06-06-2013, 04:19 PM
I went thru your dilemma, too.

I settled for my XLT so I'd have the cash to do other things I enjoy, rather than sinking all my extra cash into truck payments.

Didn't want the console shifter or the leather interior, anyhow, but I did want the 4.6-3V and those were only offered up to the SCAB version of the XLT 4X4.

Got every option I wanted including camera, sensors, tailgate step, bed steps, Sync and more and saved about 5,000$ for other things like my S&W M&P 15-22 MOE, Magpul that I just took delivery of. And 1,200 rounds of ammo.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:44 PM
I like my FX4 but I'm debating going to an XL for a new truck

All I care about it mechanical features. Not the fluff. My FX4 is a lot of fluff

It's all preference... Actually it's $$!

Old 06-07-2013, 12:41 PM
also depends if you want a center console shifter or the shifter on the steering wheel

Old 06-11-2013, 09:43 AM
I have an 04 FX4 with the column shifter and center seat/console...I am going to pull the center seat and find a center console as I don't need the seat but would like some extra center storage access...and the wife needs a lot of cup holders!! I have the cloth interior and prefer it over leather for comfort...winter and summer. Biggest deal to me was the stereo system even though I lost the space under the rear seat of the extended cab. The other thing with the FX is that it has no chrome, easier to take care of IMO.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by LoneRanger93
I like my FX4 but I'm debating going to an XL for a new truck

All I care about it mechanical features. Not the fluff. My FX4 is a lot of fluff

It's all preference... Actually it's $$!
That is why my trim choice is staying STX if I ever get another truck. I like the paint to match look of the FX4's and the STX matches that. Also it is considerably cheaper with much less of the fluff you mentioned.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:42 PM
I had the choice between to trucks a fx4 or a XLT. I went with the XLT just because it had more stuff that I wanted and cost less. I didn't want the console or the painted to match mirrors or bumpers! plus the luxury package was way nicer in the xlt over the fx4 and I cant have leather seats with my dogs!

Old 06-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a low optioned FX4 cheaper than a highly optioned XLT. I paid $33450 + tax for a 2011 FX4 with Ecoboost and 20" wheels but no other options. It was cheaper for me to buy a stripped down FX4 than it would have been to buy an XLT and have the bumpers and grill surround PTM'd and add black trimmed headlights and taillights.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Well I finally pulled the trigger.

In the end the deal on the XLT was too good to pass up. And the truck I bought was one of very few I have seen with these options in months of searching.

2013 XLT 4x4 Ecoboost super crew. 302a luxury package. Cloth buckets. 3.55 Locking diff. Tailgate step. Tuxedo black with adobe interior.
All for 30850 before ttl.

Could be happier!

Old 06-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by NASSTY
I bought a low optioned FX4 cheaper than a highly optioned XLT. I paid $33450 + tax for a 2011 FX4 with Ecoboost and 20" wheels but no other options. It was cheaper for me to buy a stripped down FX4 than it would have been to buy an XLT and have the bumpers and grill surround PTM'd and add black trimmed headlights and taillights.
where do you live? here in the san Francisco bay area its the fx4 that cost more, even striped down fx4s cost more than my XLT with lux packages! dealer told me its due to more people want to mod a fx4?

Quick Reply: Help me decide between XLT and FX4