2009 - 2014 F-150

End of Bumper to Bumper check......

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
End of Bumper to Bumper check......

My bumper to bumper is over in less than a week. I brought it in to the stealership to give it it's final dealer inspection, and they found................. nothing. I got green lights across the checkerboard. Kind of a bummer when I think about it. I asked for the "fine tooth comb" treatment, and I figure I got the once over. Surely there has to be something they could have found. It can't be that perfect. Nothing else in life is. All things being equal, the truck is yet to crack 20 thousand miles.

I asked when I picked it up if they did any and all software updates, and got the "we only update if you report a problem" answer. I would have assumed that software updates would be a part of the regular maintenance schedule that they provide. How wrong I am..... AGAIN. That's twice this week I have been wrong, and it's only humpday.

Anyone else report any different about dealer updating software on a regular basis?

Old 04-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you got the same response anybody else would that brought in a truck with no issues.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Micheal
I think you got the same response anybody else would that brought in a truck with no issues.
I was simply a little surprised that they did not do routine software updates. My assumption made an *** of me.

On a side note, I tried the Sync update today, and it did not respond the way the instructions from the install info from ford said it would. I got an almost immediate "update complete" message, and despite waiting well over 20 additional minutes, nothing else happened, and ultimately my phone is still paired. The instructions clearly stated that I would have to re-pair all devices.

Before you start

There are a few things you should do before starting step 1:
Activate your SYNC Owner account (if you haven’t already done so), by logging in and registering your vehicle
Locate an empty USB drive that holds 2 GB or more of data and is not password-protected

1 Open a browser and log in to the SYNC Owner site. Note: To successfully download the SYNC update to your USB drive, it's important to have a supported browser and up-to-date plug-ins. Depending on your operating system, please use one of the following compatible browsers:
Mac users: Google ChromeTM or Safari
Windows users: Google ChromeTM, Internet Explorer®, Mozilla Firefox® You may also be prompted to update to the most recent versions of Active X and Java plug-ins before beginning the download process. It's essential that these browser plug-ins are up to date and given permission to run in order to successfully download the update.

2 Locate the SYNC Updates section, and click Get Updates. You may see the notification “SYNC Update Available: Our records show your vehicle is eligible for an update.” If you’re not sure of your vehicle’s current SYNC status, you can check the software version.

3 Click Update My SYNC Now, and then connect your empty USB drive to your computer.

4 Click Start Download Process. A pop-up window displays the SYNC End User License Agreement.

5 Click I Agree! A pop-up window appears with the message, “Select a USB Drive.”

6 Select the USB drive you want to use for the installation.
A pop-up window displays the message, “Do not disconnect: Files are being downloaded to USB drive.”
Check the status bar for the percentage of the process completed. To ensure a successful download, do not remove the USB drive from your computer until after the download is complete.

7 Remove your USB drive after the download is complete. Take the USB drive with you to install the updates in your vehicle.

INSTALL:

10 STEPS

Before you start

There are a few things you should do before starting step 1:
Familiarize yourself with your vehicle’s USB port, controls, and display
Note any saved Navigation points. You’ll need to re-enter them after the installation is complete
To perform the following steps, you must first complete the previous procedure: How to download software updates to a USB drive

1 Take the USB drive with the software updates to your vehicle. Turn on your vehicle, and then turn on the radio.

Make sure your car is in a well-ventilated area. Your vehicle will need to be turned on, with the engine running between 25 to 35 minutes. Make sure that your vehicle is not in Accessory mode.

2 Plug the USB drive in to your vehicle’s USB port.

3 Press AUX to select SYNC Line In. Press OK.
Press Menu. SYNC Media displays. Press OK.

4 Media Menu displays, and then Play Menu appears. Press Seek until Select Source is highlighted. Press OK.

5 SYNC USB displays. Press OK.

USB Selected displays. Press OK.

6 Press Seek until System Settings is highlighted. Press OK.

Press Seek until Advanced is highlighted. Press OK.

7 Prompts display. Press Seek until Install Applications is highlighted. Press OK.

8 SYNC automatically detects the files on your USB drive, and then displays “Install Application?” Press OK to confirm.

SYNC displays “Installing Application” during the process. Do not remove your USB drive or turn off your vehicle while this update is in progress. Shortly after installation has begun, SYNC says “Installation Complete.” Ignore this message. It refers to a specific phase of the installation, not the overall update process. While the update is loading, SYNC will not recognize your mobile phone or media device.

In another five to 10 minutes , SYNC says “Installation Complete.” SYNC may also say, "The system will now reboot. Please wait a few moments before using the system." The system then reboots, which takes several minutes. Do not attempt to use SYNC during this time.

9 SYNC prompts “Installation Complete.” Press MENU to exit installation mode. It is now safe to remove your USB drive.

10 Once you have installed the SYNC software updates, you’ll need to pair your phone again. To complete the process, take the USB drive to your computer to report the successful installation.

After doing this........ twice, I don't get the satisfaction that I completed the task.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Dealers do not update software because it causes more headache than it is worth. Frequently, these types of updates will result in the customer coming back and complaining because their phone wont connect or their stereo doesnt work or whatever. In that situation, if the dealer leaves the vehicle alone there is no problem for the customer. Hence why they only update if you have a problem or specifically ask.....

Old 04-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by canadianelbow
My bumper to bumper is over in less than a week. I brought it in to the stealership to give it it's final dealer inspection, and they found................. nothing.
I know you think it's cute to call it the "stealership" but I can't imagine why they would offer to expend any resources.

Why would they look for work that would cost them something to do? If you offered to pay them for their diagnostic time, and pay for any work they said you needed, do you think they would give a different answer? Believe it or not, they are a "for-profit" business.

What did you receive for your effort? The satisfaction of making a week's worth of payments without having a truck to drive.

Software updates are to fix problems, not to give you a faster zoomier neater vehicle. Again, why would they do something that doesn't need to be done. It's not like you're moving from Windows 6 to Windows 8.

Good job. Write again when you ask them to extend your warranty for free without any issues, or perhaps when you have a problem after the warranty period and are all pissed off because they won't fix it for free.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by OnBelay
I know you think it's cute to call it the "stealership" but I can't imagine why they would offer to expend any resources.
It's a well rehearsed phrase. They "expend resources" to add work to the R/O, which ultimately helps to grow the paycheck of the tech doing the job, and increase the bottom line for the company.

Why would they look for work that would cost them something to do? If you offered to pay them for their diagnostic time, and pay for any work they said you needed, do you think they would give a different answer? Believe it or not, they are a "for-profit" business.
I did pay for their time. It cost me $150 for an oil change and full inspection. My standard oil changes are $29.95 at the same dealer. Any and all things they may have found wrong with it would have been covered by FOMOCO, and the tech would have been compensated. I've worked for Ford dealers in the past, I'm a red seal certified Auto Body Tech. I know the business, and fully understand their desire to be profitable. Finding additional things wrong with inspection vehicles is where they make their meat and potatoes. Oil changes alone is a losing business, especially @ under $30 including parts. Someone brings their car to my shop to have a fender repaired, I'm going to point out the dent in the 1/4 and ask them if they would like to have it repaired at the same time.

What did you receive for your effort? The satisfaction of making a week's worth of payments without having a truck to drive.
I paid cash for my truck when I bought it. Never had to make one payment after I drove it off the lot. And for the DAY that it was there, I have a 2010 Subaru Legacy sitting in the garage if I needed to go anywhere.

Software updates are to fix problems, not to give you a faster zoomier neater vehicle. Again, why would they do something that doesn't need to be done. It's not like you're moving from Windows 6 to Windows 8.
This may in fact be your only valid point in the whole conversation. I had assumed that every time I took it in, that they did any and all software updates. Oh wait, I already reported that I assumed that it was a regular "thing" they did, that I assumed wrong. Let me remind you.
Originally Posted by canadianelbow
I would have assumed that software updates would be a part of the regular maintenance schedule that they provide. How wrong I am...
Good job. Write again when you ask them to extend your warranty for free without any issues, or perhaps when you have a problem after the warranty period and are all pissed off because they won't fix it for free.
A bit of an accusatory stretch, and an unfair characterization at that.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Since you know so much, and were so wrong about so much, and ended up wasting your time and money, I guess you win.

or not. No sweat off mine.

Body shop and mechanical shop: two different business models. If you think you know, look at the results.

Thanks for educating everyone, though. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Pull yer head out.......

Name:  asshat.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  45.9 KB

Go be an asshat in some other thread. Or even better, just stop being an asshat all together. Haters hate, get over yourself. I'm tired of you.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:11 PM
As I said. Good luck. Let's summarize what has happened:

-You asked them to do something they don't do, then you were surprised they didn't do it.

-You wanted us to verify they don't do it, we did.

-You attempted a Sync update, that wasn't any part of your original post, and it didn't work. You didn't ask for help, you simply said you didn't get any satisfaction. Okay, now what?

-The two people that responded tried to explain why they didn't do what you expected them to do. You explained why we are wrong.

-You pulled apart an explanation piece by piece, then demonstrated how much you know, even though you didn't know why they didn't do it.

-You call me an asshat and a hater, and post a really cute, if not tired and incredibly overused meme.

Overall, I think you have done a great job of showing us all exactly what you know, and how unhappy of a person you must be.

I will leave you with one suggestion: The concept of an internet "forum" is to ask questions or respond to questions, and occasionally provide information to those who may seek information.

If you want to show off, demonstrate how much you love yourself, and engage in some other self promoting masturbatory behavior, don't be surprised if you continue to find yourself typing, once again,
After doing this........ twice, I don't get the satisfaction that I completed the task.
Although I imagine you are used to that by now.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:17 PM
>>>>><<<<<

Quick Reply: End of Bumper to Bumper check......