2009 - 2014 F-150

Chrome Corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrome Corrosion

Just wondering if anyone else out here is seeing corrosion issues? My truck is exactly a year old and today, it parked in the sun and in pieces lol I decided to shine up my 18" xtr chrome clad wheels and grill only to find them both corroded beyond repair!!! The wheels look like they are covered in road grime but are totally oxidized and kind of stained. The grill is corroded on every horizontal chrome bar where it meets a verticle one.
Pretty dissapointed, always keep the truck clean so I cannot figure out why this is so bad other than junk chrome plating.
Any other similar experiences out there? Any solutions? Any dealer help offered?

Old 04-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know about the grill, but i know the chrome wheels are terrible for sticking brake dust. Is that maybe your issue? Try rubbing the hell out of it with Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Thats the only thing ive found that works, but it takes a lot of time and elbow grease to get it done.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Ya I think on the rims it is early enuf that i can buff it out, did more rubbing on one after I posted, may be able to clean them up enuf and get rid of them i guess. The grill is beyond buffing and cleaning.
Thanks for the tip

Old 04-13-2013, 02:17 AM
Take it to the dealer and make them replace it.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:05 PM
what are you driving? Your info still says 2005 but I'm guessing its not?

My 2012 XLT (bought it new at the end of November) has signs of rust at the fog lights on the chrome bumper. I've been waiting for warmer weather to investigate.

... The other thing I've been seeing a lot of is rust spots from the snow plows... lots of little tiny spots that are from the metal fragments of snow plows hitting the vehicle. These will clean off with a little work.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Aren't the "clad" wheels just plastic wheel covers? Wife has chrome clad wheels on her Edge and they're simply a plastic wheel cover.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by joemac
Aren't the "clad" wheels just plastic wheel covers? Wife has chrome clad wheels on her Edge and they're simply a plastic wheel cover.
My '10 XLT's are.

After 3yrs, 4months they still look good, too.

After having my truck power washed I chamois them off and when necessary hit them with a Mr Clean Eraser.

If they were REAL chrome, and needed maintaining, mine would be rust.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joemac
Yes, aluminum wheels with a fixed plastic chrome cover. Brake dust hates these wheels, at least mine. To add, I've also heard that a clay bar will work for the wheels, but I'd think that the magic eraser would be faster.

Last edited by jntibs; 04-16-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Chrome Corrosion