2009 - 2014 F-150

Spontaneous glass breaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DwnSth
Window no big deal, only a couple of hundred to fix, however the chips and scratches out of my paint ticked me off.
I don't understand... what happened to the paint???

Old 04-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
If anyone knows how tempered glass works, there is a coating on the glass. If the glass gets scratched the right way it will eventually explode like that.

How does it get scratched? The same stuff glass is made of - sand. When you roll the window up and down, small amounts of sand scratch the glass. Or even during installation or simply cleaning the windows. If sand gets on the rag, it might scratch the glass.

The coating on safety glass is somewhat self healing, but only to a point.

The other strange thing that also happens is diamonds such as the ones on rings can also do damage. Diamonds can scratch glass quite easily, and if your ring scratches it while you are cleaning the windows or if you have you hand up against the window with your ring on, and that diamond is hitting it, that's a good culprit as well.

I've had this happen to me a number of times. The last one was at work. We had a glass covering on a wooden table, and we went to move the table, and it just exploded -- we didn't even touch the glass. But, it was scratched up well before we moved it. The glass pellets went in a 15 foot radius and sounded like a gun went off.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Mine did that too. Vry loud! (Splintered didn't explode) Rear defrost issue. At least that's what I found when I searched online...

Old 05-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
Mine did that too. Vry loud! (Splintered didn't explode) Rear defrost issue. At least that's what I found when I searched online...
Mine did that also. I have the rear slider window in the middle and it was the one on the passenger side with the defrost strips. I heard a similar loud bang on my previous truck one time but nothing happened to any of the windows.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:00 AM
Same thing happened to us, but on a Chrysler.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:35 PM
So here is another example. 13 parked on street in front of house. Come out window shattered, nothing taken from inside (including a woman's purse) - strange. Two days later driving down a rural road, nothing anywhere near the truck going 35, wind shield cracks. Is something wrong with this 3 month old truck or am I just incredible unlucky. Ford says not a warrantee issue.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just turn it into your insurance and call it a day. I thing it's highly unlikely that it exploded without an underlying reason or an act of vandalism. I've had glass break before, but there was always a reason. The most random one was a Ford ZX2 where the rear windshield busted while driving on the highway. But I later found out it had been wrecked previously, which likely caused the body to become tweaked a little. The windshield is a part of the vehicle's structure, but it's by far the most fragile. Other time was me slamming a door shut in my '85 Regal because the door hinges were worn out. That sucked. Any cracked windshield I had started out as a very small chip that went unnoticed. But once it cracked, you can usually identify where the chip was. Last one was when my Lincoln LS was broken into. Some d*ckhead from the ghetto county to the north of where I lived (DC area) decided to break into about 25 cars in my neighborhood. Police said he got purses, cash, cards, and other valuables. My reaction was "what kind of dumbass leaves that stuff in their car?" Yea I had to replace the glass and have it re-tinted, but that was it.

But again, I just don't see glass breaking for no reason. And no matter how hard you fight, I doubt you'll get any resolution from your dealer. If you don't want to go through your insurance, call Safelite and get a quote. You'd be surprised how cheap it is most times.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:45 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fx4freak
Mine did that also. I have the rear slider window in the middle and it was the one on the passenger side with the defrost strips. I heard a similar loud bang on my previous truck one time but nothing happened to any of the windows.
fx4freak,

Were you able to get your window repaired?

Originally Posted by Geosail
So here is another example. 13 parked on street in front of house. Come out window shattered, nothing taken from inside (including a woman's purse) - strange. Two days later driving down a rural road, nothing anywhere near the truck going 35, wind shield cracks. Is something wrong with this 3 month old truck or am I just incredible unlucky. Ford says not a warrantee issue.
How many miles are on your truck, Geosail?

Ashley

Old 05-09-2014, 11:33 AM

Why would you report something as inexpensive as glass replacement to your insurance?

The defroster equipped glass has been cracking rear windows with pretty good frequency. Even happened twice to one guy.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:47 PM
too bad you cant prove their was a stress crack before it shattered, else it would be covered. Ford will cover stress cracks for up to 20 000km.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:13 PM
Exploding Rear Window - 2004 Expedition

My '04 Expedition rear window exploded 5 minutes after getting to work this morning. I had the rear window defroster/defogger on and had also operated the spray and wiper.

Many online cases of exploding rear glass but different makes/models and circumstances. Maybe it is just bad luck.

Maz

Old 01-26-2015, 11:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation

Mazkit - My '04 Expedition rear window exploded 5 minutes after getting to work this morning. I had the rear window defroster/defogger on and had also operated the spray and wiper.

Many online cases of exploding rear glass but different makes/models and circumstances. Maybe it is just bad luck. Maz
  1. This is the F-Series Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F-150 forum.
  2. This is a really OLD thread.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:33 PM
If you read on the NHTSA website under the complaints tab when looking at recalls, there are quite a few of these happening. Looks like the lowest bidder for the glass needs to revamp their manufacturing process. A truck is supposed to be durable. Exploding windows does not instill a whole lot of confidence in the build quality. Just my opinion though. Still love my new truck.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:36 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The 04 SCrew I had just bought had similar issues. I was sitting at a ranchers gate, nobody around, about 40F outside, the truck was not running when I heard a crack. I looked and saw a crack starting to crawl up the bottom of the windshield from about the location of the drivers wiper location. It got about 6-8" long and then exploded. Ford said call my insurance company. It was a good thing for me though. The factory windshield was so distorted you couldn't hardly drive it. Ford wasn't going to fix that either. Now when I look at a truck to buy the first thing I look at is how clear is the glass. I thump every glass panel with my hand too. There are just some things with every car maker that you just have to say "buyer beware". For me, I'd rather have to thump glass than replace rear axles, A/C units, transmissions, etc which is why I've driven a Ford truck since 1974.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:39 PM
2011 f150HD hit the remote start on a 6 degree morning. Come outside to find the rear passenger side window shattered and still spidering into 10000 pieces. Made a safety complaint with NHTSA as everyone should. This causes visual impairment and should be a Safety recall. I will be contacting my attorney.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

QUOTE=KingRanchCoy;4975871]How is it fords fault that a window breaks? As far as i know there is no warranty on glass. Im sure Other manufacturers would have told you the same thing.. Are you sure it wasnt a giant fly or mesquito that flew into your winder? [/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Spontaneous glass breaking