2009 - 2014 F-150

Spontaneous glass breaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear window shattered

2011 f150HD hit the remote start on a 6 degree morning. Come outside to find the rear passenger side window shattered and still spidering into 10000 pieces. Made a safety complaint with NHTSA as everyone should. This causes visual impairment and should be a Safety recall. I will be contacting my attorney.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Old 02-22-2015, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had this happen not once but twice on my brand new for transit. its related to the rear defroster. luckily my windows are tinted so it didn't cause a huge mess but one cold morning came out,hit rear defrost.5-10 mins down the rd I heard a pop,look back right rear window shattered. fixed it. didn't use defrost again for a month or so.pickup my transit from my office.hit rear defrost while its warming up.come back to a shattered window. I believe whats happening is while its so cold out,the rear defroster is actually working almost too well and heating the window so rapidly its causing it to shatter from rapid temp change. take and old car window that's been sitting in the cold and snow,bring it inside,hit it with a grinder for a second or two and walk away. within few minutes the window will explode for the same reason.....I know because I used to do this at school on our comp cars haha.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:13 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
If anyone is having this caused by the defroster, you need to use the regular heater first so that the glass gradually warms up first. Then do the defrost. I know sometimes we don't have many options but the more you can heat the inside up before switching to defrost, the less chance of breaking you'll have.

Quick Reply: Spontaneous glass breaking