2009 - 2014 F-150

Spontaneous glass breaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spontaneous glass breaking

So, driving my 2 week old F150 home last night my drivers side rear window literally exploded. Was driving about 10 or 15 mph on entrance road into my subdivision. Sounded like a shotgun went off. Thank goodness my grandson was not in the backseat at the time! Anyway, no signs of anything nefarious, rock throwing, stray bullet etc. Never experienced anything like this. Window no big deal, only a couple of hundred to fix, however the chips and scratches out of my paint ticked me off. Now, dealer took pictures, sent to Ford which promptly denied any coverage. Dealer service could override, but I guess they don't want to for whatever reason since service manager said "I've got 100 on the lot and hasn't happened to them". Ford customer service no help. Will get it fixed but my first experience with Ford service and Customer service is leaving a lot to be desired. Basically calling me a liar and I must have hit the window with something. I know this is nothing compared to the engine problems and treatment from Ford I've read about but really makes me afraid how Ford treats customers.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:43 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Its happened to a few on here before. That's insane man

Old 04-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How is it fords fault that a window breaks? As far as i know there is no warranty on glass. Im sure Other manufacturers would have told you the same thing.. Are you sure it wasnt a giant fly or mesquito that flew into your winder?

Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Sorry to hear about that. Ford irritated me with my wife's Expy. The driver's side headlight assembly lens side spontaneously started to separate from the back (2 piece assembly). Took it in, they refused to pay (still in warranty), and accused me of "somehow" damaging it. I've driven nothing but Fords (most bought new) for 20 years and that's the loyalty you get in return. Pretty sad.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Glass is glass and it doesn't like stresses. After forming glass typically has to be 'annealed' in an oven for a while to remove stresses. You can also stress it by forcing the window into a poorly fitted frame.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Ford knows about this problem believe or not. They are investigating into the cause of our back windows exploding. Several people have had this happen!! I too have been a loyal Ford fan and am re-thinking my loyalty. I had a few very minor issues with my 10 Lariat when I purchased it and was told by several different service managers that they wouldn't even submit my claims because they knew Ford would do nothing. Really... $47,000 truck and I get treated this way? I work for a GM dealer and I know our customers don't receive this kind of treatment from GM.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by ad2tude
I work for a GM dealer and I know our customers don't receive this kind of treatment from GM.
Lol!

Trending Topics

Old 04-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Ford Dealer Problems: 98%
Ford Mfg Problems: 2%

Old 04-13-2013, 09:30 PM
In the absence of foreign object damage, vehicle window glass does not break on its own unless there is a manufacturer defect either in the glass install, the glass itself, or abnormal stresses causes by an out tolerance window frame. In the absence of evidence to the contrary, this is a warranty claim all day long.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Lol!
Really.....

Old 04-13-2013, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by ad2tude
Really.....
If you work for gm, drive a ford then complain about ford service then why dont you drive a gm since they treat their customers far better..

Old 04-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
If you work for gm, drive a ford then complain about ford service then why dont you drive a gm since they treat their customers far better..
WOW hit a nerve did I? I thought forums were a place to voice opinions? Not that what I drive is any of your business, I've owned Fords all my life and their warranty rules have drastically changed. I have friends that work at the manufacturer level for Ford and have the same thoughts I do regarding Ford's newer warranty claim policies. And for your information, the service managers in the local Ford dealerships in my area have nothing nice to say about Ford and the warranty policies and procedures.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:36 AM

If anyone has random broken glass, they'd want it replaced. How anyone can justify that is beyond me. Keep pushing man, good luck.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
If anyone has random broken glass, they'd want it replaced. How anyone can justify that is beyond me. Keep pushing man, good luck.
You would be surprised about automotive glass issues.

A couple of years ago I was out shopping for trucks with a buddy who was taking delivery of a new Lariat SCREW. The dealership had a steep dip and rise coming out of the parking lot. After delivery for some reason he came out of the dealer parking lot a little hot and hit the steep dip/rise aggressively while also making as right hand turn........SNAP......the windshield cracked. It happens.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:08 PM

I mean justify as in say it's the owner's fault. Crazy about that windshield tho!

Quick Reply: Spontaneous glass breaking