What to buy? Returning to the F150 world

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Option #5.0.....imo

Old 04-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck, I've recently "returned to the F-150 fold" and really like my new 2013 Plat that I purchased in late Jan '13. If you can stretch it and get the Plat - it's one heck of a truck - I get lots of compliements from fellow F-150 owners and envious stares from GMC/Ram owners

Old 04-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Had no intention of getting a 2013 Platinum, but that's where it went. Man, do I love that truck. Best (well, coolest) purchase I've ever made. Second most expensive, too.

Neighbor came over (2003 FX4 Screw owner) the day I brought it home and the first thing he said was "Wow, I gotta ask. How much?" So, I told him and his eyes bulged. Then I let him drive it. He pretty much went nuts.

Same thing happened with another neighbor who owns a 2012 Screw (think it's a Lariat, but without many goodies).

Here are the pics:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...+platinum.html

Yes, HotLap, you do get some looks. The GMC/Ram/Tundra guys like to zoom right on past me. I just let 'em.

Here's the sticker:
http://www.inventory.ford.com/servic...FW1EF9DFA19838

Does not show the spray-in liner, the rear well liners, or the 7yr/75k extended warranty and maintenance plans ($3.5k more). Added after purchase: Bullrings, Stubby antenna, rear seat cargo organizer (tie-downs, bungees, gloves, a few tools), box rubber mat, capless fuel lock.

Hope that isn't overkill. It's very nice to see that thing sitting in the driveway. Great paint job, fit and finish by Ford. Even better to climb into the cab and light it. Next thing for the MFT should be the IWS (idiot warning system).

So, Mange, if you are looking at $45-50k, might want to check out the Platinum.

ps - Averaging 17.6 highway (on a 350-mile drive home from the dealer with lots of climbs) and 14.5 city in the 5.0 (it purrrrs).

Last edited by dosman; 04-22-2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Update
Old 04-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by dosman
Had no intention of getting a 2013 Platinum, but that's where it went. Man, do I love that truck. Best (well, coolest) purchase I've ever made. Second most expensive, too.

Neighbor came over (2003 FX4 Screw owner) the day I brought it home and the first thing he said was "Wow, I gotta ask. How much?" So, I told him and his eyes bulged. Then I let him drive it. He pretty much went nuts.

Same thing happened with another neighbor who owns a 2012 Screw (think it's a Lariat, but without many goodies).

Here are the pics:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...+platinum.html

Yes, HotLap, you do get some looks. The GMC/Ram/Tundra guys like to zoom right on past me. I just let 'em.

Here's the sticker:
http://www.inventory.ford.com/servic...FW1EF9DFA19838

Does not show the spray-in liner, the rear well liners, or the 7yr/75k extended warranty and maintenance plans ($3.5k more). Added after purchase: Bullrings, Stubby antenna, rear seat cargo organizer (tie-downs, bungees, gloves, a few tools), box rubber mat, capless fuel lock.

Hope that isn't overkill. It's very nice to see that thing sitting in the driveway. Great paint job, fit and finish by Ford. Even better to climb into the cab and light it. Next thing for the MFT should be the IWS (idiot warning system).

So, Mange, if you are looking at $45-50k, might want to check out the Platinum.

ps - Averaging 17.6 highway (on a 350-mile drive home from the dealer with lots of climbs) and 14.5 city in the 5.0 (it purrrrs).
dosman, looks nice, I was going to recommend the Raptor/Harley taillight housings but the brighter gasket goes nice with the darker charcoal! Those orange mirror housing reflectors got to go though Check out the clear replacement lenses at Recon lighting...you can even get them with LED's and connect to your mirror turn signals turn signals...

Old 04-22-2013, 09:50 PM
I must apologize for going OT on what Mange first posted.

@HotLap, are those Recon lenses an easy install (i.e., pop-off, pop-in), or is there more to it? Are the LEDs any more than a straight plugin? It would seem to be pretty simple, but the Recon site doesn't offer an online install guide. I'm not interested in disassembling the mirrors.

The look is definitely improved.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Just about have it narrowed down between option 2 and the XLT. If I got the XLT, I would lift it immediately and go with 35 12.5 20 Baja ATZ's. If I got the FX4, I would wait a while to lift, at least until the factory tires are worn. I just don't know how hard it would be to keep a gray cloth interior clean. I haven't had cloth in over a decade in any of my cars or trucks...and I have a couple of kids (the youngest is into baseball and is constantly covered in dirt/dust from the infield).

Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 PM
I'm also diggin' that Bluejeans metallic. I'd love to get a peek at a Kodiak brown truck, but nobody has one around here.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Either colors look great and unique but I would think the blue is easier to live with and keep clean. Though I saw a king ranch in Kodiak brown and it looked amazing. Best wishes on your search!

Dos - that's a nice Plat. Even made be thirsty seeing the pic with the micro brew in back seat

Old 04-23-2013, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mange
I'm also diggin' that Bluejeans metallic. I'd love to get a peek at a Kodiak brown truck, but nobody has one around here.
KingRanchCoy just bought a Kodiac brown XLT tonight. He's only got one pic up right now but he'll get some more soon. I don't know if you wanted to see one in real life or if you wanted to see somebody on here with one. But it's pretty sharp looking!

Old 04-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Good eye, Red ...

Originally Posted by RedWoodsMan1
Even made be thirsty seeing the pic with the micro brew in back seat
That's a Deschutes Red Chair NWPA. Great ale. About the best I could do, since I didn't have the California coast for a backdrop.

Went with the Recon smoked lenses w/LEDs. Think they'll blend in nicely with the black mirror housing. HotLap was right about the factory orange lenses needing to go. I'll add a pic once they're in.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:31 PM
i bought a 13 Platinum. 1st luxury vehicle in 20 years or since i quit Mercedes due to kids/ex-wife/mortgage/college/etc. I must say it's as nice a vehicle as i've ever been in and i'm averaging 18.4 combines with not a lot of highway. can't go without a sunroof now. EB - 3.55LS.

my technique was shop for best price then walk in on the last day of the month and make a low-ball offer. it works ... i don;t think you need to worry about which month, just make sure the vehicle you want is on the lot, which was my problem - not many dealers carry the Platinum with the options i wanted. if i wanted 4wd - i could have chosen form another 250 trucks down here.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got 13k off sticker for my xlt.. Out the door ttl 29,300.. Got 14250 trade .. Came to 15k out the door.. Some good deals out there right now

Old 04-23-2013, 08:16 PM
You seem concerned about the price and payment so I would go with the cheapest, #3. There's nothing wrong with that and you don't need leather. If you're a millionaire, go ahead and buy the most expensive.

Just because it has an EB doesn't mean it will get worse mileage with a lift over a V8. I bet it will be comparable with the EB being slightly better in fuel economy.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:04 PM
Well, I decided on truck 2. It sold LOL. I don't want to spend that kind of money on truck 1 (I earn plenty, but don't want to spend it that way). The salesman located me an XLT but they want $700 over invoice to go get it (I keep rebates). The other local dealer wants my truck, so they have been secretly plotting and they say they'll locate an FX4 with the 401A and EcoBoost with 20" wheels for a thousand more than the other dealer wanted for the XLT. Also a 2% lesser interest rate. I feel bad because I told this guy I was going to buy a truck off him, but after we crunched the numbers at home tonight, I don't feel he's giving me a good deal. I just texted him and of course his reply was 'I thought you told me it was down to these 2 trucks?'. I said 'it was until we started looking at the numbers and I'm not paying $700 over invoice'.
Sigh. Sorry for the soap opera. But I may be buying a Tuxedo black FX4 with 20's and cloth buckets from another dealer tomorrow.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:40 AM
Originally Posted by Mange
Well, I decided on truck 2. It sold LOL. I don't want to spend that kind of money on truck 1 (I earn plenty, but don't want to spend it that way). The salesman located me an XLT but they want $700 over invoice to go get it (I keep rebates). The other local dealer wants my truck, so they have been secretly plotting and they say they'll locate an FX4 with the 401A and EcoBoost with 20" wheels for a thousand more than the other dealer wanted for the XLT. Also a 2% lesser interest rate. I feel bad because I told this guy I was going to buy a truck off him, but after we crunched the numbers at home tonight, I don't feel he's giving me a good deal. I just texted him and of course his reply was 'I thought you told me it was down to these 2 trucks?'. I said 'it was until we started looking at the numbers and I'm not paying $700 over invoice'.
Sigh. Sorry for the soap opera. But I may be buying a Tuxedo black FX4 with 20's and cloth buckets from another dealer tomorrow.
Playing the game!!!! I went around and around and around.... 5 different dealerships, then I called the one I hadn't talked to in over 3 months when I test drove a blue FX4 and low and behold they still had it... on the lot for 150+ days, made a deal in 15 minutes and picked it up that night... Best of luck dude!

Quick Reply: What to buy? Returning to the F150 world