2009 - 2014 F-150

bad paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad paint

I purchased a new Lariat and later noticed some paint flaws on the tailgate when I got home, I took it back to the dealer and they said they would fix it no problem.
To fix it, they want to have my tailgate repainted, I have the white platinum tricoat, I don't think it could be reproduced that well.
I asked them if I could have a new tailgate with the factory paint, they said no they don't do that and I would have to settle for a repaint job. I told them I am not happy with that answer as I spent almost 60k on the truck.
Should I call Ford and ask them if I could get a factory replacement?

Old 04-28-2013, 04:07 PM
It makes no difference.

Either way it would be painted after the fact because the parts don't come painted from Ford.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:00 PM
If they reprint the entire tailgate, I promise you won't be able to tell the difference. Issues arise when matching 1) a small section on a larger panel where slight differences are more noticable and 2) repaints after the original color has faded. You will be fine.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That white tristage is not an easy color to butt match. Especially on the flip. Do yourself a favor before you bring it in, and go over the color match with the Body shop forman as it sits. If you look at it together, both inside under florescents and outside in the sun, He will know you are expecting the same flip characteristics when you pick it up. Ask the dealer to replace any and all badges on the gate. Re-taping badges is a industry standard, but it is never quite the same as factory, and some tech's can downright butcher the job.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:55 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
How bad are the flaws? You may want to leave it well enough alone.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by glc
How bad are the flaws? You may want to leave it well enough alone.
Agreed...

Old 04-30-2013, 01:58 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
The typical dealership body shop doesn't do very good work. Several years ago, I took a contract job to install wireless Internet in body shops for the laser frame alignment rack. The absolute filthiest shop I went to was at a Chevy dealer - the entire shop was choked with bondo dust. I had to put on a dust mask just to do the job. I went to one independent shop that was so clean you could almost eat off the floor. Guess where I took my truck when I needed some body work? The job was outstanding and didn't cost any more than anywhere else.

If you are in the western Chicago suburbs, I can HIGHLY recommend Community Auto Body in Carol Stream, and stay FAR FAR away from Brian Bemis in Sycamore.

Last edited by glc; 04-30-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:14 PM
I had a 2011 crew Lariat with the white platinum tricoat. I remember when I bought it, I said to myself if this thing ever gets hit it will be a nightmare to match.

Well guess what, got nailed in the rear fender and also got into the tailgate at 10k miles. Made me sick.

Painter said it didn't matter what the paint code was. There were at least 3 different shades depending on where and exactly when it was made. It was a friggin nightmare. At one point I had a fender one color, a tail gate another, and the rest of the truck original. The painter wanted to blend the tailgate, fender, and untouched passenger door. He said that's how they do it and rarely do people notice. The replacement tailgate and fender were new from Ford so I said no way.

After another two week delay they got an expert from the paint manufacture to come down to the shop and match the paint enough satisfy me. They never did get the colors right on the bed side of the tailgate and fender so I had the bed done with Line-X to hide.

Then I got rid of it.

To the OP.......good luck. Too bad you and the salesman can't go out on the lot and do a little switch-a-roo.

Last edited by Jimsea; 05-01-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Quick Reply: bad paint