2009 - 2014 F-150

Anyone's brake controller not working?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone's brake controller not working?

I hooked up my toy hauler yesterday, and the brake controller doesn't activate the brakes. When I try to manually activate them the info screen just reads trailer disconnected. I checked the fuse and seems okay, so not sure. Anyone else experience this?

Old 05-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The controller needs to be paired to the trucks module. The dealer can do it, Cha Ching....
another way for them to take your money...............nuts.........

Old 05-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
The controller needs to be paired to the trucks module. The dealer can do it, Cha Ching....
another way for them to take your money...............nuts.........
Are you freakin' serious? I spoke to my sales guy, and all he said is he'll get me loaner car while the dealer investigates why it doesn't work. Strange they didn't have to do anything in my '10 Raptor. It worked right out of the gate. They better not charge me to get it working.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:13 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
If it's the factory controller and it came with the truck when it was new, there's no reason why it shouldn't work unless you have a bad relay or fuse or a broken wire. The only time you have to pair the controller to the truck is if it didn't come with it and you add it.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Yep, factory brake controller. Fuse is installed and looks good. Looks like she's going back to the dealer.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:41 AM
It's probably just a bad connection at the trailer plug. Clean it up and try it again (both truck and trailer sides).

Old 05-20-2013, 08:48 AM
Eliminate the trailer

Make sure it is the truck and not the trailer that's causing the problem. If you have a friend who has a truck w/brake controller, have him hook up to your trailer to make sure the trailer is not the problem.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Harley Rider
Make sure it is the truck and not the trailer that's causing the problem. If you have a friend who has a truck w/brake controller, have him hook up to your trailer to make sure the trailer is not the problem.
or find another trailer to hook up to your truck. You wouldn't even have to hitch it... just get close and test the wiring...

Old 05-20-2013, 02:31 PM
I know it's not the trailer. Brakes work on my Tacoma with Prodigy and my Dad's GMC 1 Ton. Brand new truck, so connections look clean and good.
On the way to work I got stuck in traffic. I messed with the onscreen settings and I think I found the issue. In the menu you can select what type of brakes the trailer has. Electric or Electric with Hydraulic. From the factory it's set for Electric. I think my trailer has Electric/Hydraulic though. So, when I get a chance to go out to the trailer storage yard, I'll hook up and see. I'll report back later.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Not many trailers have electric Hydraulic brakes it is a expensive option that does not work with all brake controllers. I bought my 09 used it had never towed a trailer 1st time I hooked a trailer up no trailer brakes. Popped the hood missing a relay and 2 fuses opened the glove box there they were in a bag with a Brake controller harness. Installed fuses and relay trailer brakes work great. I have seen the same thing on customer vehicles the factory tosses the harness and fuses and relays in the glove box even on trucks with built in controllers.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by 1mainiac
Not many trailers have electric Hydraulic brakes it is a expensive option that does not work with all brake controllers. I bought my 09 used it had never towed a trailer 1st time I hooked a trailer up no trailer brakes. Popped the hood missing a relay and 2 fuses opened the glove box there they were in a bag with a Brake controller harness. Installed fuses and relay trailer brakes work great. I have seen the same thing on customer vehicles the factory tosses the harness and fuses and relays in the glove box even on trucks with built in controllers.
Correct, I installed the fuse and relay from the glove box 1st day I owned the truck.
I'm not going to the trailer tonight to see if the new Electric / Hydraulic setting works due to the storms in the Midwest. But, I will report back after I do. I'm not sure what type of brakes I have, but I'm going to find out.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Well, I just spoke to the owner of the company who sells my toy hauler. He confirmed my brakes are electric. So, I guess the factory setting of the brake controller should have worked. Looks like she's going back to the dealer to troubleshoot.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Dealer looked at my truck. Vedict is....... "We don't know what's wrong." Great, let's cancel my 2nd camping trip now. I'm freaking bummed. Now they say can you bring it back next Thursday with the trailer? Geeeez! Rant off....

Old 05-24-2013, 07:15 AM
As I said before, check the trailer plugs. Even though they are new on the truck side, there have been others who had to lightly clean them with emery cloth or fine sand paper so the trailer would be recognized. Brand new trucks too. Either the contacts inside are not sprung out enough, or maybe there is a sealant on the brass, but that might be your issue. It's worth a try.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Ford850
As I said before, check the trailer plugs. Even though they are new on the truck side, there have been others who had to lightly clean them with emery cloth or fine sand paper so the trailer would be recognized. Brand new trucks too. Either the contacts inside are not sprung out enough, or maybe there is a sealant on the brass, but that might be your issue. It's worth a try.
I'm going to pick up the trailer again tonight to work on it some more. One Ford dealer thought if the Camper Mfg. crimped instead of soldered the their wires to Dexter Axle's brake wires, that could be a problem. He said the Ford brake controller like to see a constant voltage, and has a hard time with crimped wires. I just found out from the trailer Mfg. that they do crimp on to Dexter's wires, so who knows, maybe that is it?
I'll crawl around this weekend trying everything i know to try and what you recommend. If I can't get it, I'll drop her off at Etrailer, and let them troubleshoot. I really don't want to leave my truck and trailer with the Ford dealer at this point.

Quick Reply: Anyone's brake controller not working?