2009 - 2014 F-150

Lambo Green Reptar is getting new paint again!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluegreenf150
Were those other people opening up a dealerships to do it? I appreciate his skill, but I don't see how this is a sustainable business model. You just can't slap their logos on it and sell it. It has to be a real Raptor or King Ranch to start with or it is violating trademearks and copyrights owned by others not to mention its unfair competition to dealers of the real thing.

Example:
Holy smokes Batman! Court finds Batmobile replicas infringe DC Comics’ copyrights
http://www.lexology.com/library/deta...6-ccb8c571966a
I think we should, despite any personal opinions, leave the business aspects of this alone. He will likely do what he wishes anyway, and it will be for his gain or loss. He hasn't said exactly what he's doing with it anyway. Let's keep this thread solely about the truck and what he has done to it and is doing to it.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:49 AM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
I agree with that actually. But that's because V6 mustangs are gross haha. I understand the analogy though.

I agree with the copyright concerns. All of that Stuff gets very complicated, tricky, and delicate. I do believe that this particular truck is his personal vehicle though. But I can certainly see where selling vehicles with "Raptor"/SVT and King Ranch involved can end badly
It doesn't matter because he is now selling it, but that's not what he said here. I was scolded earlier that this is a business. He builds to sell.

"My business is customizing vehicles...I build trucks, sell them. Move on to the next truck."

This is a business.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:22 AM
Ok seriously if i dont like a truck or how they go about doing it, i just keep scrolling. If i decide to post something it would be on the lines of "dont care for paint".... Move on people.... Bickering about how u really dont like it is not changing the fact that im still doing what im doing. Been doing this since i was 15 and I've had over 75 cars in the process. Negative posts come have been around since i been on furums in 2004.

Lets get back on topic about the change up im doing. Hopefully i will have like 3 more f150s next month on quick builds.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:26 AM
How did you do the marble effect? That looks awesome!
Started with flat black paint an let it fully dry. Got some chromelusion house of color paint and sprayed 1.5 secods onto a grocery bag, then dabbed the pieces to create a crinkle effect. This can be done with rattle can easily but the rattle.can needs a clear coat.... And a clear coat will turn the chrome to silver in color instantly.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:28 AM
Installed

Name:  20130531_155547.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  348.5 KB

Name:  20130531_155630.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  378.6 KB

Name:  20130531_155349.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  428.1 KB

Name:  20130531_155406.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  511.4 KB

Old 06-02-2013, 08:32 AM
You plan to do the same for the outside?

Old 06-02-2013, 08:44 AM
No im gonna do something different. Hopefully im gonna have pics by Tuesday

Old 06-02-2013, 11:02 AM
I think we should, despite any personal opinions, leave the business aspects of this alone. He will likely do what he wishes anyway, and it will be for his gain or loss. He hasn't said exactly what he's doing with it anyway. Let's keep this thread solely about the truck and what he has done to it and is doing to it.
Finally, words of wisdom, it's his property and he can do what he wants with it. Personally it's not my "cup of tea", but I'm so tired of seeing these threads devolve into who's right/who's wrong, who can prove a point, etc. He was merely posting pics for us to enjoy (or not) and if you don't like it either keep it to yourself or politely let him know it's not really your thing. End of story, we don't need every thread devolving into a pizzing match to prove points.

I mean this as no disrespect to any of the posters here...we have all seen these kinds of threads many times. While his truck is not my thing, I did learn something from his pics...I had always wondered how to remove the interior dash trim panels in case I ever wanted to paint them and I can see where many of the clip locations are in his pics...so thanks to the OP for that!!

Old 06-02-2013, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by mikegmang
Started with flat black paint an let it fully dry. Got some chromelusion house of color paint and sprayed 1.5 secods onto a grocery bag, then dabbed the pieces to create a crinkle effect. This can be done with rattle can easily but the rattle.can needs a clear coat.... And a clear coat will turn the chrome to silver in color instantly.
That stuff looks killer! I'm tempted to pop the panels out of my 06 and do something similar to them now . . . Anxiously awaiting what you decide to do with everything else

Old 06-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by HotLap
Finally, words of wisdom, it's his property and he can do what he wants with it. Personally it's not my "cup of tea", but
Except selling it. Selling replicas/counterfeits for profit is illegal. If we were to switch trucks/King Ranch /Raptor with the words "watch" or "clothes" would you feel different? If I bought a Timex for $42 and sold it on Craigslist with Rolex logos for $550 would that be any different? I could say it was a Rolex conversion and it was my own personal watch and I build watches and sell them. What difference does it make? In general if you are selling a replica that is being pushed off as the 'real thing' than you are doing something illegal. If it is marked that it is 'designer inspired' or a 'Repter conversion' that is a grey area but the IP owners can still go after you.

But once you slap on the counterfeit King Ranch logos on counterfeit KR seats / SVT logos and Raptor logos/banners emblems that is clearly illegal. Liability doesn't just extend to businesses. As an individual you can also be held liable for the sale of counterfeit items - even a single item on Cragislist. They will usually list it as a replica or "conversion" but the proper name is counterfeit.

I'm not trying to flame but this all started because he said this was his business. If he said this was just a hobby or didn't use the logos or put it up for sale for profit on Craigslist nobody would even care.

"Liability for the sale of counterfeit items can extend to the sale
of a single good.150 Infringement is not limited to large-scale operations.
Manufacturers of replica products have another way to infiltrate
the marketplace. Replica goods are also sold on a smaller
scale, including by individuals and small businesses, such as private
“purse parties” or other similar events where individuals sell replica
products within their communities for income. This type of sponsored
social event will further lessen the stigma associated with selling
and purchasing counterfeit products. The transaction occurs in
someone’s home and typically originates with a friend or acquaintance.
These products are generally promoted as “inspired by,”
“imitation,” or “replica,” anything but “counterfeit.”151 Little do
they realize, under the Lanham Act, the host of such a party is liable
for selling counterfeit merchandise.152 Of course, due to the difficulties
in identifying these events, the cost of enforcement actions
and perhaps the negative public image of shutting down social
events, trademark owners rarely go after such small scale operations.
There are few statistics on the enforcement actions against
conduct such as purse parties. Nonetheless, it has been reported
that individuals have been charged with criminal penalties for hosting
such events.153"

"In a best case scenario, the whole mentality that replica counterfeits
are a harmless hobby will become extinct. Whether purse
parties, street vendors, or tourists traveling to the major cities to
buy these goods, often all invoking the wishful thinking folklore
that replica counterfeits are somehow legitimate or permitted, or
even in the brand owners worst nightmare, that replicas are just
wholesale cost versions of the name brand item (forgetting about
the price spread between the $35.00 counterfeit and the $2000.00
original). Hope springs eternal. A successful informational attack
on online retailers and consumers regarding the ethical and legal
implications of replica goods is necessary in order to make some
headway in enforcement. From a strictly legal standpoint, although
it is highly desirable to amend the statute to expressly include replicas
in the counterfeit definition, it is not necessary because counterfeits
by any name are still illegal. Trademark owners must be
proactive and search for alternative ways to enforce their intellectual
property rights, including holding third parties liable for
infringement."
http://digitalcommons.law.wne.edu/cg...egal%20sell%22

Old 06-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by mikegmang
My other 2005 raptor king ranch conversion. Under 10k including the truck.

Thank God that is a not a real King Ranch interior.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Lol

Old 06-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Already sprayed the door jams flat black... Thought this was gonna take all day but knocked it out quick.

Name:  20130602_135357.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  416.3 KB

Name:  20130602_135410.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  458.9 KB

Old 06-02-2013, 03:15 PM
I agree with that actually. But that's because V6 mustangs are gross haha. I understand the analogy though.

Rambo, I agree with the copyright concerns. All of that Stuff gets very complicated, tricky, and delicate. I do believe that this particular truck is his personal vehicle though. But I can certainly see where selling vehicles with "Raptor"/SVT and King Ranch involved can end badly

You already posted the link to Craigslist so we know what he is doing with it and he already said it was a business.

Also note this from the another F150 forum:

05-30-2013, 08:10 PM
mikegmang
Another Crazy Transformation to FX4

"Me an my buddy are deciding to open up a dealership an paint customizing shop. Decided our first ride will be my 2011 reptar. Lambo green looks really bright an only appeals to the right buyer. I've decided on changing the whole paint sceme an interior colors. Should start painting the frame braces tomorrow. Hopefully will start more trucks soon."

So this dealership will be selling the counterfeit Raptor. It will be the first ride. With more fake Raptors coming soon. lol. Probably more fake King Ranches. too.

That's my point whether people want to think it is harmful or not. He can change the lime green color all he wants but he needs to take off the badges if he wants to be legal and selling these as a business.

Again if this was a hobby, nobody cares, once he starts opening the dealership or selling on Cragislist then it becomes an issue. You already agreed on this. For example, Toyota came up with a King Ranch knock off for their 2014 Tundra but they don't call it King Ranch. It's 1791. That's the direction he should be going. Different names and not copies. I don't think "Reptar" will fly either specially with the Raptor and SVT logos all over the vehicle.

Last edited by bluegreenf150; 06-02-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Hahahah

Quick Reply: Lambo Green Reptar is getting new paint again!