2009 - 2014 F-150

Scab with baby seats/booster seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Scab with baby seats/booster seats

I'm in love with the new Scabs, I think they made the 09+ screw too large. Just curious if anyone has a Scab and how tight it is with baby seats and booster seats.

With me wanting kids in the future, I don't want to buy a truck that isn't able to be a good fit for a family.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Patrick

Old 06-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The scab would be fine at first, But when they hit about 2 years old then you will love the extra space on the supercrew. My son is almost 2 1/2 and his feet is already getting close to touching the passenger seat.

Also i think the scab seats sit a little bit lower and are not as big as the supercrew.. May have a problem of the car seat fitting good.

If your thinking of having 2 kiddos then your nuts for not getting a supercrew

When we were stuck on I20 at ranger hill for 5 hours a few weekends ago it was sure nice being able to have the supercrew.. We put the car seat in the bed and lifted up the back seats and he played on the floor with all of his toys..

Old 06-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a grandparent with 2 young g/daughters--a 6 year old and a 1 year old--our 2012 S/Cab works quite well. With the toddler, the reach back to help her is quite manageable. We're sure that as they get older the extra room in a D/Cab would be more comfortable for them, especially for longer trips. But I have to say that it works pretty well now.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by kepcv6871
With the toddler, the reach back to help her is quite manageable.

, very ture.. with the supercrew its usually easier to stop and get them what ever they need.. Otherwise take the seatbelt off and climb half way over the center console to get to them..

Old 06-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Pat, I think you will be fine with an infant seat on the scab but do agree with Coy on the toddler years. You could always put Mrs. Pat in the back.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Global Moderator &

It won't be happening this week, or this month. Gonna pay of the Mrs's Escape first, then its my turn.

Just doing research right now

Thanks

Old 06-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
if all yer going to do is paralel park then go for it.... Scabs start to suck with the doors the way they are in shopping center and mall parking lots....IMO

FYI.... kids are little twerps and love to put their feet up on anything....don't ask how I know

Old 06-04-2013, 08:02 PM

When I was shopping around before I bought my 05 crew after just opening the back door of an scab I knew there was no way...

Old 06-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Global Moderator &

If they kept the 04-08 Screw size I'd be fine with it. But the added 6" on the 09+ is just too much cab for a primarily daily driver single person

Old 06-04-2013, 11:11 PM

I hear you. I really like the size of my truck. I just know your seat will be back all the way like mine and you'll be getting a lower lumbar massage pretty often like the others have said. I'm glad my wife's TX has third row seats. lol

Old 06-05-2013, 09:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '04 scab experience with a child seat wasn't good. We may have had a larger than normal rear facing seat, but it wouldnt fit in the back unless the front seat was slid all the way forward. It was the main reason I have a screw today.

And there is the always annoying door squeaking that most scabs I've been in suffer from.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Patman
If they kept the 04-08 Screw size I'd be fine with it. But the added 6" on the 09+ is just too much cab for a primarily daily driver single person
Come on Patrick.. This is Texas! Bigger is better whats an extra 6 inches?

Old 06-05-2013, 12:24 PM
I had a 2004 SCAB. It was great when I was single. It was still great when I was married.

Once we had our first kid, it was OK. We could put her seat in the center so we all had plenty of leg room. The newer rear facing seats will NOT fit behind the drivers seat if you are an average male (I am about 5'10" and 200 lbs).

Plus with a SCAB it is a royal PIA to get kids in and out when parking with cars next to you. You have to do a little dance with opening the front door, opening the rear door, squeezing over and closing the front door, then get the kid out, then repeat in reverse order to close both doors.
(especially with newborn seats where you snap the seat out of the base).

Anyway, we made due with it for 2 years. You park away from other cars when you can, you get good at the dance when you have to do it.

The big change came when we had the 2nd kid. There is no easy way to put 2 car seats in the SCREW without sliding one or both of the front seats forward. (unless you have the cheaper car seats that are smaller... those are not for me... I want a top rated car seat) Then you and/or the passenger are not comfortable and safety can be compromised if you are too close to the dash.

A few weeks after my son was born I upgraded to the 2013 SCREW. It helped greatly that he was bore in November and then Ford offered some amazing extra rebates for black Friday.

This is MUCH easier to get kids in/out due to the 4 doors. And the back seat is cavernous - very nice when you travel (like more than 1 hour travel) cause you will need a bag with toys, a bag with snacks, a diaper bag, etc. And usually my wife sits in back with the 2 kids to keep them entertained (that's needed for the first year or so... babies don't entertain themselves very well)

Anyway - to sum up... If you are planning on having kids soon, I would plan on a SCREW. (after all, that is how you make kids! )

I know the newer SCABS are slightly bigger than the 2004 SCAB, but still... I would go with the SCREW.

Probably the best advice you will get is this:
Find a friend with newer car seats - borrow them and take them to a ford dealer and see how they fit in a SCAB. Make sure one of them is a newborn seat that snaps out of the base. Then try to sit between the 2 car seats. Then try to squeeze the newborn seat out of the back while parked next to another car.

Last edited by mkosu04; 06-05-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by mkosu04
if you are an average male (I am about 5'10" and 200 lbs)..
Yea I'm pretty average 6'6" @ 220

Old 06-05-2013, 03:14 PM
We had a 2003 scab. It was fine at first when we had our daughter. Her seat was ok in the middle. You do have to be careful of what seats you buy though. Some of the rear facing ones do not fit in-between the two from seats. Then when you turn them forward facing it was ok. But it is a royal PITA to get them in and out when you have to park with other cars around you at the store. And once you add a second child, forget about it. Unless you are a "little person" you won't be getting the rear facing seat behind the driver or passenger side without shoving their knees halfway through the dash. And then you have to put them side by side. Which results in the older one pestering the little one the whole time.

Trust me, save yourself the headache and get the screw. You might not like it at first, but the extra room when you do have kids and they start to get older will be well worth it. And you don't have to worry about weather or not the car seats will fit.

Quick Reply: Scab with baby seats/booster seats