2009 - 2014 F-150

Your Advice - which truck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '10 XLT 4X4 Scab has a 4.6-3V w/tow package. 3.73 gearing.

I average between 17-18 mpg, all round driving. E-ways @ 72-75 mph and it'll get 22-23 mpg, but where I live is flatter than a flounder.

I drove both the 5.4 and the 4.6-3V and the 4.6/3V won out because there wasn't hardly any difference between the two, and I wanted (and needed) the fuel economy.

Only thang I'm towing is my Harleys on a Kendon fold-up trailer and it feels like they aren't even attached to the truck.

The 36 gallon tank is a nice option to have (until you pull up to the pumps), and the back-up camera if you tow.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

We ended up purchasing the 2011 F150 SuperCrew yesterday after being able to talk them down on their price due in large part to the info you guys provided me.

I'm very happy with the purchase. We test both the 2011 5.0 and the 2010 4.6. The 2010 was a great vehicle, but the added power in the new 5.0 engine was really noticeable and nice. That in addition to the nicer interior, select-shift transmission, and supercrew instead of supercab made the decision to go with the 2011 pretty easy. We also did test drive a couple new 2013s, both the ecoboost and the 5.0. The ecoboost was a nice engine, but we didn't notice much of a difference from the 5.0. We also didn't find much difference in the interior, so for a screw instead of a scab and over $5k less we decided to go with the 2011.

I think I disturbed the salesman with my crawling around under the truck. But everything looked in great condition and nothing screamed trouble. A minor dent/scrape in the rear right fender will need to get fixed, as well as a bed liner as the bed is scratched to hell.

Anyway, I'll get some more pics later after giving her a good bath. But we're both very happy with the purchase:

Last edited by dkevox; 06-09-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
She looks good. Hope she's a good one for you. I love the 5.0 engine.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:15 PM
good choice on the 5.0 screw!!

Old 06-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats

Old 06-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Very, very nice. Good choice. IMHO, if the bed is scratched you may want to price the Linex spray in liner. It is a little more, but would cover the scratches, and reduce the chance of rust.

Enjoy. I'm sure the gf loves the truck.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by wanted33
Very, very nice. Good choice. IMHO, if the bed is scratched you may want to price the Linex spray in liner. It is a little more, but would cover the scratches, and reduce the chance of rust.

Enjoy. I'm sure the gf loves the truck.
she does. she was grinning the whole 3 hour ride back. She also looks hilariously tiny inside the truck, I'll see if I can get a pic for you guys.

And the line-x is the plan. That or rhino, but probably line-x. I read a thread on here where someone clearly associated with rhino was being a complete douche and that turned me off from the rhino. But yes, it needs to be covered before it rusts, so I'm going to call places this week. Any advice on finding a good installer?

Old 06-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Just spent several hours washing the truck, then went to take a few pics. The black is amazing with the sparkle to it, but really hard to catch with a pic. The truck has a few scratches that will need touch up, and a couple dents I'll have to see if we can get removed. Overall the paint is in good shape. Has a bit of grime on it and will clay bar it next chance I get.

The girl is really happy. I lol'd cause you can see how tiny she is compared to the truck in pic #3. Also ignore how dirty the evo is, didn't get a chance to wash it and it's had couple thousand miles put on it over the past 3 weeks.

Last edited by dkevox; 06-09-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:30 PM
The 5.0 is a great motor and hopefully you get many years of service out of your truck! Congrats! EVO.... pretty sweet car, but way too small for me... claustrophobia...

Old 06-09-2013, 08:24 PM

Slick looking truck man! Glad you two are happy and everything worked out for you. I love when little girls drive trucks, little bit of irony!

Your car looks pretty clean to me though. Always nice to see the intercooler showing too haha. Nice car

Passenger rear tire on the Evo may need some air btw

Last edited by KMAC0694; 06-09-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:29 AM
Originally Posted by 99and04f150
The 5.0 is a great motor and hopefully you get many years of service out of your truck! Congrats! EVO.... pretty sweet car, but way too small for me... claustrophobia...
lol. I'm really digging that 5.0. Makes that truck feel effortless to drive.

And talk about space! That and the height, it's cool looking down over everything. The evo is a completely different beast. I'm 6'2" and find the OEM Recaro seats to be very comfortable, but besides that there are no other luxury or comfort items in it. Although that's why I got it. I'm crazy excited now for the opportunities having the truck will open for me, no more fear about being able to get home if something goes wrong at the track.

Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Slick looking truck man! Glad you two are happy and everything worked out for you. I love when little girls drive trucks, little bit of irony!

Your car looks pretty clean to me though. Always nice to see the intercooler showing too haha. Nice car

Passenger rear tire on the Evo may need some air btw
Thanks for the heads! I checked it but it's fine, the car must just be sitting in a rut in the photo. The front bumper on it is messed up and there's no front lip due to a pickup forcing me offroad earlier this year. I've been waiting 4 months now for my new aftermarket bumper from Japan, so when I look at the pics it makes me grimace.

But we're both really enjoying the truck. She loves it. She said that she feels like the tall/big one for a change and it's awesome.

I'm really digging the look of the truck, more then I thought I would. It's my new background on my phone. I wasn't a truck person at all until about 4 weeks ago when we decided she needed a new vehicle. Now I'm fascinated by it, very well built machine.

Last edited by dkevox; 06-10-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:27 AM
just find it funny how tiny she is in the truck. Had trouble catching it with my phone, but you get the point.

According to her she's been getting a lot of quizzical looks when she gets in or out of the truck.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:37 AM
awesome, congrats... I would have went with the 5.0 any day over the 4.6L, good choice and hope you have good luck with it. Make sure she realizes how big these trucks are when maneuvering parking lots, etc..

Old 06-12-2013, 01:51 AM

Sounds like you two are really enjoying it and the changes it's brought you! I hope it's making her happy. I know how things as simple as a new vehicle can make a big difference for someone

Quick Reply: Your Advice - which truck?