2009 - 2014 F-150

Your Advice - which truck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your Advice - which truck?

Hi all,

1st, I'm sorry for this post. I'm very active on car forums and know you get a lot of redundant questions, I did several weeks of research and hope this is specific enough to get some good advice.

Background: My girlfriends needs a new vehicle as her '00 taurus with 180k miles on it just isn't reliable anymore. I made her a deal that if she gets a truck, I'd help her afford it financially. The reason I want a truck is to be able to tow my car to race tracks. Probably would put ~3k miles on the truck a year towing my car.

Ok, that said, I've done a lot of research and narrowed it down to 2 trucks. Both trucks I've found for well under NADA value, are in good condition, have the features she wants, and are still under the 3year/36k bumper to bumper warranty. You will see in a sec just how similar the trucks are

I would appreciate any advice deciding though as each truck seems to me to offer a really great value. I'm marking in bold the differences:

2010 F150 XLT 4X2 SuperCab --- vs --- 2011 F150 XLT 4x2 SuperCrew (5.5' bed)
25,000 Miles (1 owner, clean title) ----- 17,000 Miles (1 owner, clean title)
2 months Bumper to Bumper -------- 1.5 years Bumper to Bumper warranty
Tuxedo Black ------------------------- Tuxedo Black
4.6L 3V V8 Engine (292/320)---------- 5.0L V8 Engine (360/380)
6 Speed Auto ------------------------- 6 Speed Auto
15/21 Rated MPG --------------------- 15/21 Rated MPG
Accesories
3.55 LS Rear Axle --------------------- 3.55 LS Rear Axle
Trailer Tow Package ------------------- Trailer Tow Package
9500lbs Towing Capacity ------------ 8000lbs Towing Capacity
XLT Convenience Package ------------- XLT Convenience Package
SYNC --------------------------------- SYNC
--------------------------------------- XLT Chrome Package
Tailgate Step-------------------------
Drivers Package(??)------------------
Reverse Sensing System-------------
Tailgate Liner-------------------------
Hard Tonneau Cover------------------
--------------------------------------- ~$5000 more

In Summary:
Do you guys feel $5000 is worth it for a 1 model year newer, screw as opposed to scab, 5.0L engine over 4.6L, and Chrome Package (18" wheels)?

I'm completely new to trucks, so would appreciate any input on things like: reliability, issues with different model years, benefits or problems with one versus the other for towing... (although I've extensively researched this and believe both would be more then adequate. The trailer weight on the hitch would be around ~700lbs, and with passengers we wouldn't exceed maximum payload on either truck)

Does one stand out to you as such a better deal? If so, why?

Your replies are much appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited by dkevox; 06-05-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:23 PM
You didn't post the price of either. We need to compare the prices against new 2013 XLT's which have $12k off right now.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:38 PM
sorry:

20k for the 2010, 25k for the 2011.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
You should be able to get that very same setup in a 2013 XLT for about 28,500 plus taxes. That would be your best deal. Otherwise, I would definitely go with the 2011, but offer them no more than 22,000.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:08 PM
I agree with bluejay, you may be able to get a '13 for just a little more if you do some legwork. As said, if that's not an option go with the 5.0L over the 4.6L. I've had both, and the 5.0 is a much stronger engine.

Plus the Crew Cab has a ton more room that you will be happy to have. That does add approx. $2500 to the price of the F-150's.

In my area of North Carolina that 2011 would be priced between 26K - 27K. Used truck prices are crazy around here.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Where are these deals?

28,500 is out of our budget, 25,000 is pushing it. But this knowledge would certainly help with negotiations.

Why do you say the 2011 over the 2010? The biggest upgrade to me seems to be the engine. I fully admit that the new 5.0 is a nice engine, but all my research indicates that the 4.6L 3V V8 is also a very capable engine. MPGs are the same between the 2. Are there any aspects or features that I'm missing? Is the 5.0 a more reliable engine?

Were there other upgrades to the '11 from the '10 besides the engine?

Old 06-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by wanted33
I agree with bluejay, you may be able to get a '13 for just a little more if you do some legwork. As said, if that's not an option go with the 5.0L over the 4.6L. I've had both, and the 5.0 is a much stronger engine.

Plus the Crew Cab has a ton more room that you will be happy to have. That does add approx. $2500 to the price of the F-150's.

In my area of North Carolina that 2011 would be priced between 26K - 27K. Used truck prices are crazy around here.
thanks. didn't see your post till after I wrote my previous reply.

By the 5.0 being much stronger you mean in terms of HP TQ correct? Not in terms of long lasting and reliable? Or both?

Also, will the added power of the 5.0 make it more fuel efficient when towing? Don't know how much power matters for fuel efficiency when towing. I figure either way you need to exert the same amount of energy to get the same amount of mass moving, but maybe the more powerful engine is able to stay in a more optimal engine load range while pulling the added weight?

Last edited by dkevox; 06-05-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:19 PM
I would go with the 2011. The 5.0 is a lot stronger motor and the space in a SCREW is awesome.

The 5.0 has 112hp / 86 tq more than the 4.6.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Global Moderator &

Both are very reliable engines but the 5.0 has a lot more power and performance. The super crew has a lot more room and should tow better. I have pretty much that same 2011 and its a very good truck. In July 2011, I paid 28,400 for my loaded out XLT.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by j8tnub
I would go with the 2011. The 5.0 is a lot stronger motor and the space in a SCREW is awesome.

The 5.0 has 112hp / 86 tq more than the 4.6.
From all the literature I read the difference was only 70hp/60tq.

That's definitely a lot, no doubt, but where did you get 112/86 from?

edited original post to include advertised numbers.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here is a new left over 2012 Scab for 22k
http://www.fentonforddumas.net/web/n...ition_id=10425

And a new 2013 for 28k... If you can afford 25,000 then just save a little more to get a new one.. I just cant see paying that much for a used truck when you can get a new one for 3k more.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Global Moderator &

Have you driven both? If you have and can't tell a big difference then go with which ever you like better. You should experience a huge difference in performance plus get a little better gas mileage with the 5.0.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Seems like there are a lot of these threads popping up lol. To sum what has been posted in several other places-for most people buying new simply makes more sense. The used truck market is really strong right now, and as such the prices on used trucks are very high. Unless your budget just cant fit a few thousand more dollars in, I would always recommend buying new at this point in time. Just my 2 cents anyway....

Old 06-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dkevox
From all the literature I read the difference was only 70hp/60tq.

That's definitely a lot, no doubt, but where did you get 112/86 from?

edited original post to include advertised numbers.
heres the numbers for all the new fords

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/engine/

The 4.6 3 valve has 292hp 320ft lbs of torque

Look at the Ecoboost also... Has more HP and Torque than the 5.0... May be a better option if you are gonna be towing

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 06-05-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Here is a new left over 2012 Scab for 22k

And a new 2013 for 28k... If you can afford 25,000 then just save a little more to get a new one.. I just cant see paying that much for a used truck when you can get a new one for 3k more.

Thanks,

I actually came across that 2012 doing research but didn't have all the features I wanted. I also don't like the idea of an open rear diff. I know it uses the brakes to simulate an LSD, but we do get a decent amount of snow here and want the truck to not be impossible to drive in the snow. Using the brakes as a bandaid for not having a proper diff just strikes me as wrong.

Also, i know people are now going to say get the 4x4. I don't need it or want it. The truck will never be off-roaded, and in really bad snow conditions I have the evo with proper snow tires. The fuel economy and cheaper price of the 4x2 is a better fit for our situation. I'll put some proper snow tires on the truck if need be, that always makes a much bigger difference then having 4wd anyway.

Originally Posted by Bluejay
Have you driven both? If you have and can't tell a big difference then go with which ever you like better. You should experience a huge difference in performance plus get a little better gas mileage with the 5.0.
No I have not yet. We will be on Saturday. I'm certain I'll be able to feel the difference of the 5.0, never doubted that. But the real question is is it really necessary?

I don't need or want a fast truck, what I'm wondering is if the added oomph will make towing life better by that much?

Originally Posted by Gerrard155
Seems like there are a lot of these threads popping up lol. To sum what has been posted in several other places-for most people buying new simply makes more sense. The used truck market is really strong right now, and as such the prices on used trucks are very high. Unless your budget just cant fit a few thousand more dollars in, I would always recommend buying new at this point in time. Just my 2 cents anyway....
Thanks, and yes this is shocking me just how much the used trucks cost relative to new. Unfortunately her budget started at 17k and has, well, grossly inflated. I can afford it fine, but i also don't want to just keep going "oh, I should pay an extra couple thousand for this". even with the inflated prices of used trucks, it'll still lose less in value.

Also all the places listed aren't anywhere near me. I couldn't fly out due to work right now, so would have to ship it, which ads at least $750 to the cost of the vehicle.

Lastly, I want to get this truck soon. I started a work assignment that has me travelling a lot and don't like putting the miles on the evo, that just costs a stupid amount of money. It drinks premium, gets the same gas mileage as these trucks, and costs way more in maintenance.

Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
heres the numbers for all the new fords

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/engine/

The 4.6 3 valve has 292hp 320ft lbs of torque

Look at the Ecoboost also... Has more HP and Torque than the 5.0... May be a better option if you are gonna be towing
Yeah, I really like the ecoboost. I'm a big fan of turbocharged smaller displacement motors. Who said there's no replacement for displacement, right?

But everyone wants them and they haven't come down in price enough yet to be a viable option. Besides, the 5.0 is a great engine and I'd be plenty happy with that. Some NA power for a change, not having to wait for a turbo to spool.

Appreciate all the advice people! good answers and got me thinking a lot.

Last edited by dkevox; 06-05-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Your Advice - which truck?