2009 - 2014 F-150

PUTC comparison of 2013 Ram, F150, 2014 GM Twins.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PUTC comparison of 2013 Ram, F150, 2014 GM Twins.....

And the 150 took it, with the Ram 2nd and the Sierra and Silverado 3rd and 4th respectively. Despite losing points in design and interior, the powertrain (an eco) just dominated the others to the point that the F150 basically won on that fact alone. Pretty impressive, any thoughts?

Link to the Results section-http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....e-results.html

Old 06-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Gerrard155
And the 150 took it, with the Ram 2nd and the Sierra and Silverado 3rd and 4th respectively. Despite losing points in design and interior, the powertrain (an eco) just dominated the others to the point that the F150 basically won on that fact alone. Pretty impressive, any thoughts?

Link to the Results section-http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....e-results.html
From what I've read and experienced by talking to people, that's about the way I thought it would play out. Sad for GM that they were the newest designs in the contest and couldn't win.

Ram has come a long way with their trucks. When I am ready to buy in 3 years or so, I'll definitely look at them.

If they had compared Lariats and that similar level, Ford would have won by a larger margin, I believe. There is a huge difference in the interiors from the XLT to the Lariat.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:10 PM
There is a big step up from an XLT to a Lariat-I would have preferred an XLT if they just offered a few more features on them(in particular auto 4wd). I also agree that the new Ram trucks are nice-I probably would have bought one if it werent for the atrocious dealer around me. Finally, I also agree that the GM twins really didnt do much to be any better than what you can already get-a bad recipe for an ultra competitive market. I have to believe the 2015 F150's are just gonna blow the new GM twins outta the water, which is not good for them.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Why ford did not supply a Lariat for this test is beyond me? Kudos to Ford however for a job well done! Two new products being GMC & Chevy & they did not even get 2nd! Lol WoW! Bad news for them!

Old 06-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They said the price range had to be @ $45,000 or below with destintation fees... If they go by sticker price then i doubt they couldve sent a lariat... The sticker price on my xlt is almost $41,000

Old 06-18-2013, 07:56 PM
I have to say it is pretty embrassing for GM to come out with a brand new truck and not be able to beat a truck that has been on the market for 3 years and has architecture dating back to 2004.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:19 PM
^ they are taking Toyotas approach. "The old model is still good, so we only changed it a little, besides people want real trucks with V8's"

They (GM) have their hardcore followers who will never shop around. It will sell well, but it's unfortunate the buyers are missing out on better trucks like Ford and Ram.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:30 AM
Im not sure, I know they reworked most if not all of the truck for the 2014 models. My problem is that they really didnt do anything better than what was already on the market. Heck, the "refresh" Ram was a much bigger improvement in my opinion....

Old 06-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
They said the price range had to be @ $45,000 or below with destintation fees... If they go by sticker price then i doubt they couldve sent a lariat... The sticker price on my xlt is almost $41,000
I think your exaclty right! I Lariat with an ecoboost or 6.2 V8 would be way over the price line!

Old 06-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hydro1
They (GM) have their hardcore followers who will never shop around. It will sell well, but it's unfortunate the buyers are missing out on better trucks like Ford and Ram.
Don't be surprised if you see the GM 3.6 GTDI in those trucks in a couple years. Gonna be in the caddy CTS next model year. Or even a small diesel, depending on how well Ram does with theirs. Moral of the story is, GM just plays follow the leader with no real innovations of their own.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by jntibs
Don't be surprised if you see the GM 3.6 GTDI in those trucks in a couple years. Gonna be in the caddy CTS next model year. Or even a small diesel, depending on how well Ram does with theirs. Moral of the story is, GM just plays follow the leader with no real innovations of their own.
I agree, but at the same time I cant blame them. Last year the GM truck twins sold more trucks than the F-Series. That's despite the fact that they are the oldest truck on the market(other than the absurdly ancient Titan) and that the only meaningful update they received was in 2009 with the arrival of 6 speeds and a 6.2L. The development costs for these trucks are long since paid for-virtually everything beyond materials costs is profit for GM. So, GM sells more trucks than anyone else on an older platform with high margins. What business wouldn't want that? The people buying their trucks are the only parties missing out because they don't give the superior products at Ford or Ram a try.....

Old 06-19-2013, 02:49 PM
I agree, but at the same time I cant blame them. Last year the GM truck twins sold more trucks than the F-Series.
Nope, try again. Ford sold 70k more F-Series last year than Silverado and Sierra combined.

http://wot.motortrend.com/american-f...#axzz2WgnzswuY

Old 06-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Either way, the fact that GM sold so many trucks with an inferior product still makes my point.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:56 PM
Either way, the fact that GM sold so many trucks with an inferior product still makes my point.
Does it? What about the fact that GM typically throws an extra grand or two on the hood as an incentive?

Old 06-19-2013, 05:19 PM
For the most part the GM incentives have been in line with what you can get with Ford. Their commercials can be misleading because they will say "Total Savings of $7000 on a new silverado". But that includes their All Star package discount for instance, which is just like a discount for a 402A equipped F150-just a discount for a group of options, not an incentive. When making apples to apples comparisons, the incentives are pretty similar. Th only time that I can remember the GM incentives being significantly higher has been recently as they are trying to clear out previous generation trucks to make room for the 2014's.

Quick Reply: PUTC comparison of 2013 Ram, F150, 2014 GM Twins.....