2009 - 2014 F-150

Regular mirrors to tow mirror conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regular mirrors to tow mirror conversion

I know theres a few people here that have done it, the main question i have is about the turn signal and heated part. mine currently have neither so does that pose and issue with the way mine is currently wired? i dont really "need" both of them to work just so long as i can still position them with the control ****. but if i can get the signal and heater to work that'd be good too

thanks

Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 PM
what ever you have now will still work (motion, turn, heat puddle light) but other options might not work if you have turns than your tow mirrors will have turn if you have heated than the tow will have it!
if your looking to up grade its a roll of the dice to see if other options work! I put tow mirrors on my 2010 and I never had puddle lights but thay worked on my tow mirrors

Last edited by blueovelboy; 06-25-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:10 PM
yeah thats kinda what i figured. and it'll probably be a pretty penny to have an OEM set up installed for the heated portion. the only thing that NEEDS to work is the adjuster though. as long as that works then i'll be satisfied. what about the signal? shouldnt there already be a pin connector for that in the mirror harness?

Old 06-25-2013, 10:12 PM
just swapped the mirrors on my 09 took about 15 min a side had heat turn and dim on my original mirrors new mirrors have heat turn and puddle lights all work did not get the auto dim on the new ones. but I can't complain about the price love my family LOL.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:16 PM
All the wires will be there including option you don't have however if you don't have heated now you won't have the switch or the fuse in place to run that. Just like I was told i could not use the power fold mirrors because I did not have the controller for it.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:53 PM
yeah I figured the new mirror itself would have it. just curious as to if the connector on the truck side had the pins there for them. I know I'll have to put the switch in the dash in.

Posted from F150online.com App for Android

Old 06-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the tow mirrors on my earlier 2010 F150. I did have some issues that made me keep from getting this time, but I still may.

The issues are the mirrors walk out if you let the doors swing open. If you catch the doors, the mirrors won't work their way out but when they do, it's irritating to have to keep pushing them back in.

The drivers mirrors doesn't have the self dimming feature which I find very very useful. I was upset that they didn't have it. Also while the mirrors are heated, the smaller convex mirror on the bottom is not. This was another annoyance since it is used a lot due to it's orientation.

The tow mirrors do have the step light on the bottom that the standard mirrors don't. I like having the light but don't miss it either.

The one major thing I noticed with the Tow mirrors is that they stick out pretty far even when not extended out. This makes getting into tight ATMs and such a bit harder. Not having them on the new truck is nice. I fit easily everywhere the tow mirrors made it a tight fit.

Another thing, I have slip on custom **** mirrors now and can see further down the side of the camper than the Ford OEM Tow mirrors. While the **** mirror glass is smaller and side viewing of the mirror is smaller than the Ford OEM Tow mirrors, you still have your full standard mirror glass to also see. I feel I have more vision with the **** Custom tow mirrors and the standard mirrors than the Ford OEM Tow mirrors.

Also I did get vibration on the glass of the Ford OEM Tow mirror while the **** Custom Tow mirror glass doesn't have any vibration at all.

The problem with the **** slide over Custom tow mirrors is that they have left some minor scratches on the back of the standard mirror plastic housing. Not a fan of that. I have uses Mother's back to black and it did keep the scratches down. Didn't have it for the first trip but molded plastic scratches can be fixed up with some light rubbing and the addition of some more Mothers back to black.

I still have the option to get the Ford OEM Tow Mirrors. The standard power/heated tow mirrors are $400 installed, with chrome caps $500, or with painted blue caps $465. I'll most likely get the chrome cap mirrors if I do get them so they don't look as plain (without at least a reflector) especially with the chrome package I have now.

Last edited by Mike Up; 06-27-2013 at 10:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Regular mirrors to tow mirror conversion