2009 - 2014 F-150

General and Technical help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General and Technical help needed

I want to buy
-pre-powder coated red lug nuts for my 2013 FX4, is there anything specific I need to make sure about size etc? having my exisiting ones done would be way top much down time

-Sync- how the hell do i get to watch movies on my dash screen? I still can figure that F in thing out

-Blacked out oval grill emblem- anyone know where to get a blacked out oval ford emblem with the "ford" in matching fx4 red?

-bed rails for the short bed. how would i get them installed if on the short beds they dont have the stake pockets??

-is it possible tohave my exhaust tip powder coated black with a red trim?

-I guess thats it

Old 07-16-2013, 08:35 PM
For the lug nuts be careful installing them so you don't chip that fresh powdercoat.

For the emblems check ebay frequently, some people still make overlays or redo emblems completely but get shut down pretty quickly, due to the fact that ford doesn't like them. Or if you have the time and skill there is some tutorials online to do them yourself.

For exhaust, anything can be done, but it won't stay red for long most likely.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
slyone72] - I want to buy pre-powder coated red lug nuts for my 2013 FX4, is there anything specific I need to make sure about size etc?
Regarding size ... 21mm | 13/16"
Thread ... 14mm x 2.00

Regarding lug nuts ... Be sure that they are solid/one-piece rather than the OEM, capped style.

Regarding finding red, coated lug nuts ... There's not a lot of offerings out there. May want to consider purchasing a set of quality lug nuts (recommend Gorilla) and having them blasted and powdercoated.

having my exisiting ones done would be way top much down time
YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS. The OEM lug nuts are capped/2-piece - meaning: An open lug nut has a stainless steel cap pressed-on it. These over time become loose and eject.

-Blacked out oval grill emblem- anyone know where to get a blacked out oval ford emblem with the "ford" in matching fx4 red?
Would recommend that you search the eBay items being sold by fastshipno1 (eBay seller ID). e.g.

*Caveat - Provided for your consideration; have no interest nor association with the seller, though have an EXCELLENT buying experience with him.

-is it possible tohave my exhaust tip powder coated black with a red trim?
Yes.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

If it's the same as mine (2011), to watch a movie (DVD), just pop it in. It will automatically go into DVD mode. The media touchscreen should come up then all you have to do is choose what you want to do, like Title, menu, chapter, Play, search, etc.. Or you can use your voice commands (once you learn them). But there is one catch, The truck has got to be motionless. If you start to drive, and you go over 5 miles per hour, the video will disappear, but I think you can still here it. It's a safety feature. Same as that you can't do certain things with the navigation, satellite radio, searches when you are moving. I have DVD headrests for my nephews when they travel with me. They can use headphones, or listen thru my stereo. They are aftermarket and not affected.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:37 PM

For the lug nuts and exhaust tip, I'd just scuff them up and paint them. Powder coat is definitely better and will last longer, but isn't cost effective in my opinion. The lug nuts will get the paint ripped off, at least a little bit, every time you have your tires rotated and then you'll want them to be redone. I didn't know about the OEM being 2 piece, but I would suggest getting Gorillas (I have them on my truck) and painting them if you'd like so there's no down time for your truck. With the tip, get some hi-temp paint for brake calipers or valve covers and just redo it when you see fit. The high temperatures will eventually screw up even powder coating, so you might as well just redo them more often with the paint.

For the emblems, I agree with the above posts. We used to be able to buy stickers (overlays) like you want to place over top of the emblem, but copyright issues ruined all of that. If you have a local graphics shop, you might be able to get them to do it. I'm thinking of asking the one near me soon. eBay occasionally has some pop up as well.

Could you expan with the bed rails? I'm not sure what you mean. Do you maybe mean the tie down cleats?

Quick Reply: General and Technical help needed