2009 - 2014 F-150

My new fifth wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ they do look nicer than his other pics showed. They looked like a "P" rated tire. I didn't realize the tread pattern was pretty aggressive. Too bad the shoulder lugs aren't a tad more chunky. They are also 4 lbs lighter than mine (53lbs vs. 57) and a 10ply. I have no need for a 10ply tire. I'd have to see them in person if I need tires again.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:02 AM
They are warrantied for 60k miles per Michelin's website.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...ils#warranties

Currently these tires have 19,800 miles because I've kept them through my trades. They are not cheap, avg of $380 per tire. I believe they are the same tire that Ford puts stock on the Super Duties. I also had a set of these on my duramax years ago and they served flawlessly then as well. They do ride rougher than the Pirelli's, but I think the pressure you run them at is a large part of that. When towing my fiver I bump it up to 65psi, otherwise I keep them between 45-55psi for normal highway drivin or draggin my boat around. The biggest pluses for these tires are they are quiet and the tread is aggressive but it does not have a high roll resistance.

Last edited by prime81; 08-29-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:20 AM
Wow that's a lot of cash for tires.. I guess that sets my sights on the Toyo Open Country AT2's. They have a 50,000 mile warranty and also have great reviews like the Michelins. But they are a bit cheaper, around $260.00 each.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Those Toyo's look like comparable spec tires, but the tread looks more open and less uniform, wonder what their roll resistance is.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I replaced my factory Michelins with Toyo Open Country M/Ts and lost almost 1.5 mpg. They are slightly taller, slightly wider, heavier and a lot softer. They are wearing well and handle much better. Smoother. The only negative is the loss of gas mileage. I replaced with the stock size.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I replaced my factory Michelins with Toyo Open Country M/Ts and lost almost 1.5 mpg. They are slightly taller, slightly wider, heavier and a lot softer. They are wearing well and handle much better. Smoother. The only negative is the loss of gas mileage. I replaced with the stock size.
Jim, How many miles did you get out of the oem michelins?

Old 08-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Global Moderator &

35,000, they had a few thousand left but being on YHWH road at night so much, I wanted to replace them sooner than later.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 08-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I did notice when i looked at the specs that the Toyo's are 11lbs heavier than my stock Pirelli's. What size did you go with? My stock size is 275/55/20 I'm getting the next size up 285/55/20. I am willing to give up a bit of mpg for a better performing tire. The stock Pirelli's are absolutely HORRIBLE in the snow...

Old 08-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Kevin O.
I did notice when i looked at the specs that the Toyo's are 11lbs heavier than my stock Pirelli's. What size did you go with? My stock size is 275/55/20 I'm getting the next size up 285/55/20. I am willing to give up a bit of mpg for a better performing tire. The stock Pirelli's are absolutely HORRIBLE in the snow...
They are 265/60/18s, I have about 25,000 on them.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:02 PM
The 285/55/20 size isn't that much of a change, I think the calculation is somewhere in the neighborhood of if your traveling 65mph, your actually taveling 65.8mph.

Tire size calculator

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

Old 09-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
I bet I could load my fifth wheel to DECREASE the tongue weight when loaded. Actually, I would say my pin weight is less than 100 lbs more loaded than when empty. My water tank is in the rear, just behind the rear axle.

I would say prime has done way more homework than 90% of towers out there, and is probably much safer than 95% of them. It doesn't make being overloaded right, but I would feel safer traveling next to him than many other trailers I see on the road.
We both know you need a "just right" amount of pin weight, so saying you can change you pin weight doesn't make it safer. So we both agree he is overloaded.

Thats all anyone has said. He says he is not. Why defend that? He weighed his rig and got 9400 lbs (if he never adds more supplies). 16% (lowest recommended pin weight) is 1504 lbs plus 100 lbs for fifth wheel hitch (lowest i have seen and more than likely 150-190 lbs) puts him at 1604. Thats 50+lbs over his payload with a 150lb driver and a full tank of gas. Now add family (assume all gear is in the camper). Overloaded, we agree. Not that he can't travel overloaded (happens all the time) but why tell others reading this thread that this combo works. Thanks.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:37 PM
If I am overloaded, I guess we'll find out 150-200k from now when the truck gets traded in.

My rig with everything in it for a weekend of camping and 1/3 tank of fresh water was weighed. If you can't accept the facts of what I've told you, then by all means keep beating a dead horse.

What you don't get is, am I borderline? Yes I am... am I overloaded and driving unsafe? far from it. Can this truck handle this load without issue for many miles? Yes it can.

Overloaded means your riding your bump stops and struggling to stop or accelerate.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by prime81
If I am overloaded, I guess we'll find out 150-200k from now when the truck gets traded in.

My rig with everything in it for a weekend of camping and 1/3 tank of fresh water was weighed. If you can't accept the facts of what I've told you, then by all means keep beating a dead horse.

What you don't get is, am I borderline? Yes I am... am I overloaded and driving unsafe? far from it. Can this truck handle this load without issue for many miles? Yes it can.

Overloaded means your riding your bump stops and struggling to stop or accelerate.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by prime81

So you admit that whatever #'s are posted in your door jam from the factory mean absolutely nothing to you??? I just love your definition of what "OVERLOADED" means!!!

Still waiting for that scale slip showing your true weight #'s on your trucks axles when the trailer is hooked up....

Old 09-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Kevin O.
So you admit that whatever #'s are posted in your door jam from the factory mean absolutely nothing to you??? I just love your definition of what "OVERLOADED" means!!!

Still waiting for that scale slip showing your true weight #'s on your trucks axles when the trailer is hooked up....
Who frekin cares if hes a few hundred lbs overweight? Big Deal! He has the best tires you can buy, hes done work to the rear suspension and im sure the load is just as safe as any other load out there on the highway.. Maybe you should change your screen name to "weight police".

Quick Reply: My new fifth wheel