2009 - 2014 F-150

2011 F-150 Ecoboost Weird Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 F-150 Ecoboost Weird Issue

I purchased a 2011 F-150 Ecoboost FX4 in November of 2012. Only had 18,000 miles on it. Here is the weird issue I am having with the truck.

While in Drive, the truck is at a red light or stop sign, you will see the RPM's around 500 and the truck has a light vibration to it. It feels like the engine is going to die, but just a slight shake felt throughout the truck. After about 5-10 seconds the RPMS will jump up another 250 and the shake will go away. If your foot is not firmly on the brake, especially on a downhill incline, the truck will move forward barely.

The other really odd thing and what bothers the heck out of me is when going downhill around 40-50 mph if you let off the accelerator after about 5 seconds you will feel the truck slowing itself down almost like you're pulling a trailer or like you're pressing the brakes. It's not gradual, it's all of a sudden you feel the center of gravity move forward. Almost like you have a rope tied to the bumper and all of a sudden the slack is out of the rope and you're pulling something. That's the best way to describe it.
I can hit the button on the side of the shift to show what gear it's in, and the truck will still be in 6th gear the whole time. If I put the truck in neutral it glides down the hill like it's supposed to feel like. I drove other ecoboosts of my friends and theirs did not do this when coasting. I've driven this truck since November and I know it didn't do it when I first bought it .

To me it sounds like transmission, but could it be computer related? It's been at the dealership for weeks and they "can't reproduce the problem". I even had the service manager ride in a used f-150 on the lot that did not do this and he of course "can't feel the problem" in my truck.

I also have random hard shifting.. for example, when I am coasting down a hill and then re-apply the gas it sometimes slams into gear so hard it feels like I am being rear-ended.

I'm at about 40k miles now.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brentcausey
I purchased a 2011 F-150 Ecoboost FX4 in November of 2012. Only had 18,000 miles on it. Here is the weird issue I am having with the truck.

While in Drive, the truck is at a red light or stop sign, you will see the RPM's around 500 and the truck has a light vibration to it. It feels like the engine is going to die, but just a slight shake felt throughout the truck. After about 5-10 seconds the RPMS will jump up another 250 and the shake will go away. If your foot is not firmly on the brake, especially on a downhill incline, the truck will move forward barely.

The other really odd thing and what bothers the heck out of me is when going downhill around 40-50 mph if you let off the accelerator after about 5 seconds you will feel the truck slowing itself down almost like you're pulling a trailer or like you're pressing the brakes. It's not gradual, it's all of a sudden you feel the center of gravity move forward. Almost like you have a rope tied to the bumper and all of a sudden the slack is out of the rope and you're pulling something. That's the best way to describe it.
I can hit the button on the side of the shift to show what gear it's in, and the truck will still be in 6th gear the whole time. If I put the truck in neutral it glides down the hill like it's supposed to feel like. I drove other ecoboosts of my friends and theirs did not do this when coasting. I've driven this truck since November and I know it didn't do it when I first bought it .

To me it sounds like transmission, but could it be computer related? It's been at the dealership for weeks and they "can't reproduce the problem". I even had the service manager ride in a used f-150 on the lot that did not do this and he of course "can't feel the problem" in my truck.

I also have random hard shifting.. for example, when I am coasting down a hill and then re-apply the gas it sometimes slams into gear so hard it feels like I am being rear-ended.

I'm at about 40k miles now.
This is my guess, as far as the rough idle at the stop light it would be a good idea to check the spark plug gap. after alot of reading on the web it seems like the gaps on the original plugs are some times pretty far out of spec.

As far as going down hill, My truck will lock the torque conveter when going down hills to maintain speed and if its a steep down hill grade it will down shift to 5th to keep the speed from climbing. This is with cruise control on which i run most all the time.. Im not sure if it would do the same thing with out cruise or not.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
This is my guess, as far as the rough idle at the stop light it would be a good idea to check the spark plug gap. after alot of reading on the web it seems like the gaps on the original plugs are some times pretty far out of spec.
^^This
Gap them to .30

Old 08-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I will look into that. I took it to another dealership to see what they can come up with.

Quick Reply: 2011 F-150 Ecoboost Weird Issue