2009 - 2014 F-150
View Poll Results: Decals on or off
Decals off
94.74%
Decals on
5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Plasti Dipping HD this weekend. Need opinions!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 01:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plasti Dipping HD this weekend. Need opinions!!

Alright fellas time for a little poll and some input. My buddy has his own plasti dipping business and him and I will be dipping the Harley this weekend. I had a guy do some photoshop work (quite talented I must say) in another forum. The 2013 projectors is something I had him add as that is something I plan on doing or retro fitting in the near future . So basically what will be dipped is the grill, wheels, tailgate panel, and more than likely the roof.

Here they are:

Decals gone and roof flat black.
Name:  Harley4.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  44.7 KB

Decals on, roof silver but probably still gonna do the roof flat black regardless
Name:  Harley3copy.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  46.5 KB

Then the back with part of the tailgate (like the platniums) sprayed flat black with the tails and 3rd brake light smoked.
Name:  Harley2-1.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  39.9 KB

Last edited by AKAO1029; 08-06-2013 at 01:37 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:10 AM
Not a fan of the decals. Other than that it looks great.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
A Harley is a Harley....why change its looks???

its yer truck and yer money....imo

Old 08-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Plastidip buisness, hmmm that's a new one on me

Old 08-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Patman
Plastidip buisness, hmmm that's a new one on me
Yep, he's in construction full time but part time he does plasti dipping. He's done a few cars already but he has a shop with the sprayer and some basic colors in stock.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should do the hood too.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
just do the whole truck?

I agree if your gonna do the roof then do the hood, decals off, I like the chrome wheels though, but since your doing the black theme then guess it wouldnt look to good with the chrome wheels.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:04 PM
I don't really want to dip the hood but I agree if I'm gonna do the roof the hood should be dipped as well. So I'm leaving the roof alone and just dipping the front grill, wheels,tailgate panel and smoking the tails and 3rd brake light. The decals are gonna come off and calling Ford and seeing if I can buy the decal set so that way I will have them laying around when it's time to sell or trade in the truck. Then gonna start saving for either the 2013 projector light or retrofit.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds good. Looking forward to pictures.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:46 PM

Decals definitely have to come off. The photoshops do look pretty good. Good thing with PD is that it's reversible, so you could do the hood and roof and take it off if you don't like it. I don't think I'd smoke the taillights though. Nothing against those that have done it, hell I had a set of smoked ones for a bit, but I don't think spray painting (or even having them properly painted) taillights looks very good on a $50k truck. Kind of ghetto and high schooler-ish, and I'm not very far removed from high school haha. But certainly go for it if you'd like, I like people to choose their own mods, just sharing my opinion. Other than that, looks great and awaiting the final product!

Don't think I've ever heard of a plasti dipping business hahaha. Might be the only one!

Last edited by KMAC0694; 08-06-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Decals definitely have to come off. The photoshops do look pretty good. Good thing with PD is that it's reversible, so you could do the hood and roof and take it off if you don't like it. I don't think I'd smoke the taillights though. Nothing against those that have done it, hell I had a set of smoked ones for a bit, but I don't think spray painting (or even having them properly painted) taillights looks very good on a $50k truck. Kind of ghetto and high schooler-ish, and I'm not very far removed from high school haha. But certainly go for it if you'd like, I like people to choose their own mods, just sharing my opinion. Other than that, looks great and awaiting the final product!

Don't think I've ever heard of a plasti dipping business hahaha. Might be the only one!
Yeah, with the decals off it just makes the truck look cleaner. I keep looking at the phtoshop pics and while it doesnt give a good perspective on how the roof would look it does give some ideas. Part of me thinks it would look good but then part of thinks it wont. As far as the smoked tails go I defi see where you are coming from cuz ive seen some smoke jobs that look terrible but I was just gonna put a nice tint to it nothing crazy dark or make it look cheap. Im excited to see how the truck turns out and will defi post some real pics once its done.

Surprisingly there are a lot of PD business but I guess the better term/word would be installers. www.dipyourcar.com which is the company that started it all has a lot of installers nationwide and a lot of installers run a business just for dipping while some are performance shops, detail shops, etc... that offer dipping as a service.

Oh and I shot you a PM. If I remember on a thread you work at a dealership.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:06 AM

That's definitely cool to tint em! I saw a Tundra that was bone stock come in to work the other day, but it was entirely painted matte black. I really wanted to ask the owner if he had it PD'd, but it was too busy. We also have a jeep that has its entire grill PD'd and you can't tell at all that it isn't vinyl or paint. The only reason I know is that I peeled a tiny bit off of an edge and could tell haha. You could check that out on our website if you haven't seen enough pics of PD stuff already haha.

Out of curiosity, what's it going to run you to have this work done? Or what would the full price be, if you're getting the ole buddy discount?

Old 08-07-2013, 03:35 AM
Nice rendering, no decals but nice truck

Old 08-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
That's definitely cool to tint em! I saw a Tundra that was bone stock come in to work the other day, but it was entirely painted matte black. I really wanted to ask the owner if he had it PD'd, but it was too busy. We also have a jeep that has its entire grill PD'd and you can't tell at all that it isn't vinyl or paint. The only reason I know is that I peeled a tiny bit off of an edge and could tell haha. You could check that out on our website if you haven't seen enough pics of PD stuff already haha.

Out of curiosity, what's it going to run you to have this work done? Or what would the full price be, if you're getting the ole buddy discount?
Yeah, well I'm not actually going to be using tint film. Im going to be using night shade and just spray a couple coats and then couple coats of clear. That way it will darken them a little and not look blacked out like a cheap cover.

To do the grill, wheels, roof and tail section. He's charging $150 it will probably be a little cheaper if I decide to not do the roof.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree on having a set of decals on the shelf for when you sell the truck. I would just PD the grills, wheels, and the tailgate panel. Leave the rest of the truck silver.

Quick Reply: Plasti Dipping HD this weekend. Need opinions!!