2009 - 2014 F-150

2012 FX4 Supercab owner review (mpg performance etc..)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 FX4 Supercab owner review (mpg performance etc..)

I wanted to give my review of my 2012 FX4 Supercab after having it for four seasons now. I want to start with the bad then turn to the good experiences I have had with it.

First off the factory Good-for-a-Year tires where exactly that. Tires were worn to the the wire after less than 30,000 miles. Ford would not prorate the tires and I decided to go to the tried and true BFG AT tire. My sixth set over 3 cars. Worlds better than the OE goodyears, just rides more like a truck now.

Tailgate rattling. The truck started about two weeks after purchase and kept getting louder and louder. I could no longer stand to open the rear slider anymore. Took the truck back twice both times the dealer said it is normal get over it. Took it to another dealer. 20 minutes later the rattle was gone and hasnt came back yet. Loose strap bolts and play in the stripper pole on the tailgate.

Rear seats. I have the sport cloth seats. The stitching in the rear has started to come out of the seats. Ford wont warranty it because of a stain from milk (I have a 4 month old). They said it worked like a solvent and dissolved the thread. (Sounds Like BS) They offered to replace it at 50% COST that worked out to about 450 bucks out off pocket. I said screw that and had a buddy at an upholsetry shop repair it for 50 bucks.

The A/C is not an A/C but a source of only slightly cooled air. On an 80 degree day MAX A/C on three is required to keep the inside of the truck 70
Ford said within specs. Still working on this one.

And now for the good.

The truck has zero mechanic problems. The 5.0 has almost 40K and runs like a champ. The body and suspension still have not began to show any wear or rust.

The mileage is better than expected. Averaging by the old calculation method 19 with a best of 23.7 (90% highway) and a worst of 15.37 (set in traffic from an accident for over an hour on a high 90's day. The computer on the truck shows 18.3 overall (it is consistently about .5 mpg lower than the calculated amount.

Converted a Chevy driver to the blue oval side. Traded his 2010 PlaySkool Silverado, I mean Chevy Silverado, for a 2013 Lariat 5.0.

Love the features of the truck and never thought I would like them. Coming from a truck with manual doors and locks and the fanciest item was the CD player. The sync is beautiful and so easy to use.

Finally it is the first truck the wife has actually wanted to drive and approved of. Always a plus.

Quick Reply: 2012 FX4 Supercab owner review (mpg performance etc..)