2009 - 2014 F-150

Ecoboost or 5.0 which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't really have much love for V6's in general. Ford really f'd up getting rid of their straight 6's. I would take a 300 straight 6 over any V6.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:36 PM
^Just curious, why??

Old 08-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hydro1
^Just curious, why??
Because it had less HP, less torque, and got worse fuel economy than the EB? Or maybe it's because the EB will outlast (most likely, since modern engines are so much more reliable) the old 300?

Old 08-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
The 2004-2005 5.4L V8 had major problems with the injectors but due to those extra two cylinders they are automatically reliable...
Don't forget, V8's have 1/3 more injectors to replace than a V6 too!

Not to mention, they are a lot harder to reach on a V8!

Old 08-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy

A bunch of V8 guys getting all butt hurt?
Interesting that you see it that way. Not what I see at all. I see the EB guys being overly sensitive to anyone raising a question about the EB or stating that they would make the choice of a different engine. Do a search of engine problems and tell me which engine has the most posts reporting a problem. Is it the 3.7? Virtually none. The 6.2? Nope. The 5.0? Almost none and considering their numbers sold, amazing statistic. Now look at the number of EB threads. You have to be blind or in a a state of denial not to see it. There are people that have sold their EB just to get rid of the problem. Like many things in life that some consider an improvement or a technology break through, I'm a little slow in the uptake. Some things called an improvement are really there because those in leadership positions sell the idea. Usually a profit motive but you see it in all phases of life including religion and especially politics.

I have driven 3 EBs and have yet to see what all the fuss is about. I hope those of you that have them enjoy many trouble free miles, there is no need to get all defensive when someone has an opposing opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 08-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Why does Rock Auto list Motorcraft injectors for the Ecoboost at $39.79?
^ really?? Did you just "read" that or actually search? Not you glc, you beat me to patmans post. I saw many for $25-40 also, but wasn't sure if that was a complete assembly.
I know the LR 5.0L DI Injectors are identical to the 2.0L Ecoboost injectors, they just require a different spacer/clip. I assumed the 3.5L Eco uses the same injectors.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why are we all fighting?! Can't we just be happy we aren't driving a Chevy? Ha..

Ok get back to arguing it gives me something to read when I'm bored

Old 08-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Burn! Lmao.. . Glc 1 Patman 0
Actually I didn't state anything incorrect, I was infering...

Don't make me ban you

Old 08-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
I know the LR 5.0L DI Injectors are identical to the 2.0L Ecoboost injectors, they just require a different spacer/clip. I assumed the 3.5L Eco uses the same injectors.
It's LR...they charge you just because they can!

Old 08-16-2013, 02:31 PM
If your going to compare the engines, drive both of them with the same rear ends and same configurations. After you've driven them both, sign on the dotted line and drive the EB off the lot.

P.S. The EB is far superior to the 5.slow

P.S.S. Got Boost?

Old 08-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Because it had less HP, less torque, and got worse fuel economy than the EB? Or maybe it's because the EB will outlast (most likely, since modern engines are so much more reliable) the old 300?
The 300 was pretty much bulletproof. The 200 and 300 straight six are probably the most reliable motors Ford has ever produced. They would take a beating and beg for more. I had a 200 in a Fairmont Futura I bought from my stepbrother. Water pump went out and it overheated just a couple miles from home and died when he had it. He let it cool down and it fired right back up and got him back home. I flipped that car and it still would start run and drive.

A friend of mine has a 300 in his mud toy. He often uses it to pull out larger trucks that get stuck. He has overheated it quite a few times due to mud clogging up the radiator. He just lets it cool down, cleans the radiator off and goes back out for more. I highly doubt ecoboost's are going to handle that kind of abuse. People have had trouble with them in just a little bit of rain.

Just because it is newer doesn't make it more reliable. A turbo Ford I6 would destroy an ecoboost. The low end torque of such a motor would be drool worthy indeed.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Fshr, How heavy is the 29' house trailer?

Old 08-16-2013, 03:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by prime81
If your going to compare the engines, drive both of them with the same rear ends and same configurations. After you've driven them both, sign on the dotted line and drive the EB off the lot.

P.S.S. Got Boost?
I did that very thing in 2011. Even same color with exact same options except engines. My choice was the 5.0 and at 60,000 miles, I have had oil changes, new tires and one road hazard flat. It is exactly what I needed. I'm a former drag racer, have built engines and know what I like for a responsive engine. The only difference I felt during the test drives was the lag when I punched the EB.

I agree with half you post. Test drive the different engines optioned the same, consider how you will be using it, and buy the one you like.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 08-16-2013, 04:13 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Yikes! This escalated quickly! I mean, this really got out of hand! (reference to Ron Burgundy)

Depends how big your man card is?
Really, Coy? Come on, man. I'm disappointed in this. Besides, it seems like the EB guys are the ones constantly trying to flex...something.

Originally Posted by Bluejay
I seldom tow, so not concerned with the extra torque. When I do tow, the 5.0 has been jut fine. I have 60,000 on the 5.0 and I get better mpg than two buddies that have EBs. If I were buying another one it would be another 5.0.
X2. However, I actually do tow/haul quite a bit. Absolutely zero issues whatsoever. I had 4 heaping, actual 1 cubic yard scoops of dense, moist mulch in the bed just a couple weekends ago, and it performed flawlessly. Google how much that weighs. Not too shabby for any "half-ton" truck, much less, a meager, lowly, puny 5.0.

Originally Posted by Wookie
That line of thinking is thrown out in ever freaking EB vs. 5.0 thread. Think of it as an easy way to weed out those that talk straight outta their ***.
Maybe this is a better way to put it (and this was one of the major deciding factors for me when I decided) :

Ford has been making good, solid, normally aspirated V8 engines for a long time. They're quite good at it. However, they haven't been making boosted gas engines for long. Hence, the latter isn't as "proven" as the former.

Originally Posted by gcart
There is a lot of good information on here, and a lot of ******.

And I hadn't even chimed in yet!!

....but the engine makes way more power....
Hmmm...I guess that depends on what an individual's idea of "way more power" is. To me, 5 hp and 30 ft lbs just doesn't qualify as "way more". IMHO, the major difference lies where the power is supplied in the RPM range. Ecoboost makes more torque down low. The 5.0 makes its power a little higher in the range.

Originally Posted by Kevin O.
Both engines will do the job.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Bluejay
Interesting that you see it that way. Not what I see at all. I see the EB guys being overly sensitive to anyone raising a question about the EB or stating that they would make the choice of a different engine. Do a search of engine problems and tell me which engine has the most posts reporting a problem. Is it the 3.7? Virtually none. The 6.2? Nope. The 5.0? Almost none and considering their numbers sold, amazing statistic. Now look at the number of EB threads. You have to be blind or in a a state of denial not to see it. There are people that have sold their EB just to get rid of the problem. Like many things in life that some consider an improvement or a technology break through, I'm a little slow in the uptake. Some things called an improvement are really there because those in leadership positions sell the idea. Usually a profit motive but you see it in all phases of life including religion and especially politics.

I have driven 3 EBs and have yet to see what all the fuss is about. I hope those of you that have them enjoy many trouble free miles, there is no need to get all defensive when someone has an opposing opinion.
Wow. Couldn't have said it better myself!

Originally Posted by prime81
Ummm...no.

Of all the people on the forum, prime81 would be the LAST person I would have thought would comment on the vast "superiority" of the EB.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Trailer is about 7K loaded up

Quick Reply: Ecoboost or 5.0 which would you choose?