2009 - 2014 F-150

Ecoboost or 5.0 which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I did that very thing in 2011.
Same for me in March of this year. Drove both freeway and street. Nothing about the EB made me say "Wow!" It certainly was good, but so was the 5.0 (I don't tow and don't plan on it). Going EB would have cost an additional $2,600 at that time ($1,100 for the 3.5L and lost rebates/incentives of $1,500).

Liked the first so well that I'm buying another in two weeks (daughter and her husband). Both 2013 Plats, 3.55, mine 6.5, theirs 5.5. It is the 5.0, even though the present loss in rebates/incentives on the EB is down to $500.

The motor wasn't the #1 thing on the list for me, because I knew both were excellent. The most important thing was getting a new F-150. Great trucks.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Rambo
Fshr, How heavy is the 29' house trailer?
Originally Posted by FshrFwl
Trailer is about 7K loaded up
Ok. If you're going to tow 7k, I'd go with the Max Tow Package. It's not available with the 5.0 So forget that and look for an EcoBoost with the Max Tow Package. You'll notice it right away with the trailer tow mirrors.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman

Don't make me ban you

Old 08-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok. If you're going to tow 7k, I'd go with the Max Tow Package. It's not available with the 5.0 So forget that and look for an EcoBoost with the Max Tow Package. You'll notice it right away with the trailer tow mirrors.
Well that settles it right there!!! I definitely want the Max tow package because I love the big mirrors

Old 08-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Interesting that you see it that way. Not what I see at all. I see the EB guys being overly sensitive to anyone raising a question about the EB or stating that they would make the choice of a different engine. Do a search of engine problems and tell me which engine has the most posts reporting a problem. Is it the 3.7? Virtually none. The 6.2? Nope. The 5.0? Almost none and considering their numbers sold, amazing statistic. Now look at the number of EB threads. You have to be blind or in a a state of denial not to see it. There are people that have sold their EB just to get rid of the problem. Like many things in life that some consider an improvement or a technology break through, I'm a little slow in the uptake. Some things called an improvement are really there because those in leadership positions sell the idea. Usually a profit motive but you see it in all phases of life including religion and especially politics.

I have driven 3 EBs and have yet to see what all the fuss is about. I hope those of you that have them enjoy many trouble free miles, there is no need to get all defensive when someone has an opposing opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
As stated before in i think this thread, no one is saying that the ecoboost hasnt had problems, The main thing i have seen (correct me if im wrong) is the intercooler issue on the 11's and 12's. I havent read any issues with the 13 models.. Just like the 05 injector issue's on the 5.4, Cam Phasers, Spark Plugs, etc..

Just because the ecoboost had 1 main problem for 2 years the v8 guys seem to think they are all going to blow up and end up in the junk yard. I dont understand why yal cant get it threw your heads that the ecoboost is just as good if not better than the v8.

So far ive got 12,000 miles on mine since april and havent had 1 single complaint..

Old 08-16-2013, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by DewserB

Really, Coy? Come on, man. I'm disappointed in this. Besides, it seems like the EB guys are the ones constantly trying to flex...something.
Nothing against you buddy, i was referring to the guys that dont like the ecoboost cause it doesnt have a v8 rumble. That's all i meant..

I like to poke fun at Bluejay and a few other's about the 5.slow.. Usually they take it pretty good..

But do get tired of the ecoboost bashing from others

Old 08-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by FshrFwl
Well that settles it right there!!! I definitely want the Max tow package because I love the big mirrors
You have chosen wisely.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Hey, have to admit that I love the sound of a rumbling V8. You throw in a choppy high lift cam and it is music to my ears. Comes from when I was a kid and Fords were king with v8s. I have built several strong 289s, several 351Cs, a 428CJ , and a 427. Even built a 200 straight 6 for my son's Mustang. There is no way a screaming 4 or 6 will ever sound as good in my head. Just the way it is. I will buy v8 as long as they build them.

So, yes, I admit that guilt Coy, but since I'm paying for it, it's good.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:47 PM
^ I agree Blue, I'm eyeballing a 6.2L before they go away in the F150. I'm hoping they'll stay for the 15-16 MY's, but doesn't seem likely. Hopefully the trucks will be lighter and the MPG may match or best case be better than what I have now.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:35 PM
6.2 would be My top choice (I know you didn't mention it) but if I couldn't get the 6.2 the only other choice for Me would be the 5.0,I have zero intrest in the Ecoboost or any other V6 power.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting that you see it that way. Not what I see at all. I see the EB guys being overly sensitive to anyone raising a question about the EB or stating that they would make the choice of a different engine. Do a search of engine problems and tell me which engine has the most posts reporting a problem. Is it the 3.7? Virtually none. The 6.2? Nope. The 5.0? Almost none and considering their numbers sold, amazing statistic.
I do seem to remember something about an oil consumption issue many 5.0 owners reported early on, but havent seen much on it lately. In any case, internet forum reports should be taken lightly. I admit that I will sometimes over react to some problem a member posts here, but need to remember that a forum will get a disproportionate amount of problems compared to the real world.

Maybe we get defensive when someone infers that we are idiots for buying a V6 over a V8, although the same can be said about the opposite way. All depends on your vantage point. We are all biased by our engine choice.

What I really want to know is what kind of embarrasing spark plug issue is gonna pop up on these engines?

Old 08-16-2013, 09:22 PM
Having owned both, If you are not planning on towing, The EcoBoost is my pick.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Interesting that you see it that way. Not what I see at all. I see the EB guys being overly sensitive to anyone raising a question about the EB or stating that they would make the choice of a different engine. Do a search of engine problems and tell me which engine has the most posts reporting a problem. Is it the 3.7? Virtually none. The 6.2? Nope. The 5.0? Almost none and considering their numbers sold, amazing statistic. Now look at the number of EB threads. You have to be blind or in a a state of denial not to see it. There are people that have sold their EB just to get rid of the problem. Like many things in life that some consider an improvement or a technology break through, I'm a little slow in the uptake. Some things called an improvement are really there because those in leadership positions sell the idea. Usually a profit motive but you see it in all phases of life including religion and especially politics.

I have driven 3 EBs and have yet to see what all the fuss is about. I hope those of you that have them enjoy many trouble free miles, there is no need to get all defensive when someone has an opposing opinion.

Us Ecoboost owners are not overly sensitive to anyone raising a question.. It's just so tiring seeing people try and compare the 5.0 to the Eco as being on the same playing field when it just isn't so. Yes the mpg between the two are close but in reality the Ecoboost should be compared to the 6.2L since the power numbers are more comparable. You have a mighty v6 powerhouse that can go head to head with Fords big block 6.2L but when driven under normal conditions can get 20+ mpg.
Bluejay no offense but you don't tow anything so for you to say you have driven 3 eco's and don't know what the fuss is about means next to nothing. You need to actually hook up a 7000+lbs trailer behind both trucks with the same gear setup and I promise you will have a much different view and will know for sure what the fuss is all about!

There is a reason why just the Eco and 6.2L come with the Max Tow pkg.

As for problems with each engine, the condensation issue is pretty much the only problem you will find on the early 2011 and 2012 Eco. I have read about the 5.0 having engines running lean on certain cylinders and having engine failures along with a bunch having rod knock issues and lets not forget about the posts of the 5.0's burning excessive oil!!
So the 5.0 is far from perfect and just for the record my Eco is two years old this week with 26,000miles while towing a 7500-8000lb travel trailer for 8400 of those miles without a single issue. She runs just as good today as she did the day i drove her off the dealers lot. Well there is just one small issue, she always seems to put a smile on my face every time I get to climb a steep grade towing my trailer while never seeing more than 2500 rpms to maintain the speed limit!!

Old 08-17-2013, 12:30 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
You seem to have forgotten that the subject of the thread was Which one, EB or 5.0. So, that is what was being addressed. I simply explained why I chose a 5.0 and would do so again.

I did not say that there were no problems with the 5.0 but that there were far fewer than with the EB. All you need do is use the search button to see that is the case. As to oil, all I know is mine burns a quart in 5000 miles. I am happy with that.

As I stated before, I don't tow often and when I do, it's a max of probably about 4,000 lbs. and as I have stated, the anemic little 5.0 is quite adequate for that, getting 14.4 mpg while doing so.

I'm glad most of you with EBs are happy with your engines but it's the irritating attitude of superiority that gets old. Especially when the OP asked if we liked our 5.0s. Quit badgering us when we say we do.

One other thing I should mention, my wife would NEVER let me buy anything but a v8. Just the way it is.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would go with the 5.0 because its a V8 however the Eco boost has better 1/4 mile and 0 to 60 times than the 5.0. Makes for a tough decision but I think I would go with the 5.0 over the eco boost if I had to choose between the 2.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost or 5.0 which would you choose?